Decision about training options

Iain

I've been working for my CCNA (got it now!) so I want to turn my attention to some MS Certs. I had thought of going down the 70-270, 70-290 and MCSA or MCSE route but I'm conscious that there are a whole load more certifications aimed at Vista (I want to avoid that if possible and concentrate on XP or Windows 7) and Server 2008.

What recommendations do folks here have (other than "ditch MS in favour of Linux")? Do I stick with my original plan or should I consider some more up to date certifications? As far as I know, getting the 70-270 or 70-290 would give me MCP status and that, in turn would allow me to access free software downloads from MS. Is that correct? Does the same apply to the new MS certifications?

I'd add that I'm doing this because IT and, specifically, netadmin are a hobby. I'm not working in the sector though I suppose that *might* be a possibility in the future.

Thanks for your time.

Concentrate on Windows 7/Sever 08 (I think they've got the cert for 08 now). Skip Vista alll together. With the negativity Vistas been getting I doubt any company's going to be upgrading to Vista. Assuming they don't f-up Windows 7's release most well probably be upgrading from XP to Windows 7 in the coming years.

I am in the same boot as you and am trying to get myself ready for CCNA while I am doing another full time course. I spoke to one of my teachers and a few friends who work in the industry. A lot of places ask for MCSE but these are people who work in HR doing the job postings, from an I.T guy point of view it only proves you have read the books. But in any case its still worth having and looks good with a CCNA.

I have also been told that cytrix and sun certification is also handy to have. But I think it all depends on what path you wanna go down.

At the end of the day what people really want is experance and a reputation, which is the hardest thing to get.

Go on some career sites and look for jobs you might want. See what they ask for in certifications, it all depends on what you want to do. For example, I do NOT want to spend my day troubleshooting IIS and Exchange, so I won't be getting a cert that reflects those skills.

Figure out what you want to do rather than what you think will pay the best, if you are good at ANYTHING, you can make money at.