Mubix (Rob Fuller) speaking at DoJoSec on getting a security job in 80 hours

wetelectric

Thought i'd post this on here because I was recently looking for a job, took me about 4 interviews. I used a lot of the techniques in it. It's quite a good video. Although it's aimed at mid-level and up (2+ years) experience, there are tips here that can be used for most people.

- Put yourself out there - get a net identity. Website, open source project, net-networking (twiiter etc..). I have one and it is terrible but it worked. It is not 'wetelectric' though!

- Sort out your interview techniques - eye contact, no sarcastic comments, never assume anything about the people interviewing you always ask

- How you dress, i'm based in the UK that means, financial stuff suited and booted, other smart casual. Smart casual means perhaps dark trousers, suit jacket and shirt without a tie. It does not mean blue denim and a t-shirt with a wolf on it.

http://vimeo.com/4108726

You know the feeling of wishing you had some of the knowledge you have now years back (in my case 2nd year of university)? Well share the wealth people..

Any other tips those in employ can give to the students watching?

edit: nicked it from here

Watched it last week. Kind of slow for Mubix. He usually seems more lively, but I guess it depends on the crowd, and you can't really hear any of the people in the crowd.

I concur with digip and not being able to hear the audiance during question time was a touch annoying. All and all its all pretty much common sense but it did contain some really good idea's that made it worth the bandwidth.

Be honest to a point just shy of bluntness about your abilities, your desires and your future plans. Be prepeared to put in time doing something like helpdesk before you get the job you want. Even if your just answering phones then you'll pick up skills and get something relevant on your CV. People skills matter in IT, you can have all the talent in the world but if you can get along with people you won't be hired. Ask questions during the interview, your seeing if the place is suitable for you to work at while your being interviewed. Don't be afraid to walk away from something if its not right for you, I have and its benifited me in the long run.

When I've interviewed people for helpdesk/sys-admin roles I've looked not so much for a fully loaded set of skills but for someone who gives the impression that they have an ability to learn, be flexible and adapt to the needs of the role. Technical skills can be learned, attitude usually can't be changed. Every place does things differently and it may not be according to the books the candidate has read, so if they can't adapt they will cause more problems than they solve.

Tried to watch this the other day, but it just wouldn't stream right - was jumping all over the damn place.

Anybody got a location I can actually download it from so I can watch it from a local drive?

great post Vako and I value such advice due to it being from someone in the know and not mentioned at all in educational institutions.

thank you very much for the heads up mate.

Thanks, but:

<error>
−
<reason>
Sorry, this action could not be completed because of a permissions error.
</reason>
</error>

Hmm. Was sending me the original mp4 of the file before. Maybe something wrong on their side, or they use temp files based on user sessions. What you can try(which is what I did) open wireshark and start capturing, then go to the link for the flash vid: http://vimeo.com/4108726 and then click play. Somwehre in the packets will be a url that spits out the mp4, but you won't be able to search for the MP4 directly. It redirects you to it and bitgravity spits out the file.

Search for "play/clip:4108726" and that url will have a session key in the url. I think that is why the link didn't work for you, as it changes for every visitor.

The packet will look something like this:

GET /moogaloop/play/clip:4108726/20f1525f3ecaa9b1a809e941c0abfc90/1241798400/?q=sd&type=local HTTP/1.1
User-Agent: Opera/9.64 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) Presto/2.1.1
Host: vimeo.com
Accept: text/html, application/xml;q=0.9, application/xhtml+xml, image/png, image/jpeg, image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, */*;q=0.1
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.9
Accept-Charset: iso-8859-1, utf-8, utf-16, *;q=0.1
Accept-Encoding: deflate, gzip, x-gzip, identity, *;q=0
Connection: Keep-Alive, TE
TE: deflate, gzip, chunked, identity, trailers

Its a 154meg mp4 file.