What else does it do?

VaKo

So, someone from my gf's work sold me an xbox. I only have a free racing game with it, and all this has proved is that I can't drive. So now I have some questions:

There seem to be lots of versions of the xbox 360, which version do I have? How can I tell?

&

Can I do anything more interesting with this thing than just playing games on it?

Sorry to disappoint, but there's no XBMC for this, no custom firmware, no homebrew, or anything like that. The most you can do is you can flash the dvd drive's frimware so that you can play backed-up games.

If you already got a media center pc for the living room its worthless unless you like the game offerings, though backing up your games is cool, but like drop said you haft to flash the xbox with special firmware to play the copied discs. After seeing in the hak5 ep that you could backup your games to an sd card it doesn't compare to the wii's possibilities.

if you want to know the version that you have, take a pic of your DVD drive tray, get the power power rating and the manufacture date.

Post the details here and i can tell you what you have, its a bitch to work out which one it is :(

Apart from that, they play games, and you can watch Movies / Connect to NetFlix. Chat on MSN, and check your mail. not that exiting unless you play games.

Oh and you can program your own games.

Okay, quick way to identify it: If the tray cover is matte white, and the case is matte white, you have the Arcade version. If you it has a chrome tray cover and is matte white, it is a Pro. If it is black and has a chrome disc tray, it is an Elite. On the off chance that it is a relic of an xbox and it is infact a Core, it looks exactly like an Arcade, but it comes with a wired controller instead of a wireless and it comes with absolutely no internal storage (whereas the arcade comes with 256MB memory). That should cover all the 360 Models.

Well Vako I will tell you this: Do you know if this X-box is one that is prone to the red rings? If it is, there is a PROPER way to fix it but unfortunately... Microsoft has a sensor somewhere in the case that will make it phone home and ultimately will ban itself (the console itself) from xbox live.

Basically the whole issue with the red rings isnt firmware issues or anything of that nature, it's overheating due to two things: 1. lack of proper contact/pressure of the heatsink on the processor, and 2. improper air duct routing. These two things are fixed quick with some tightening of the heatsink screws *me thinks you will need shims too.. cant remember* and some cardboard cut to make the air flow in the proper direction...

It's unfortunate you have to pay $100 more for just that....*i.e. the black version* and no I wouldnt buy it. I paid $100 for a 1t hdd, not going to pay that for a 20gig heh.

here's the tut if your interested: Fix the Red Ring of Death!(without towels!)

Will take it apart tonight, I know it has a Hitachi GDR-3120L dvd drive (the tray with the notches cut out). TBH I was just wondering if I could run linux on it or hack it to play downloaded games. Other than that, whats a good x-box game appart from Tony Hawks 9000 or whatever?

the cause of the red rings and the e74 is purely down to the lead free solder mixed with the xclamp system used to hold the heatsinks that make the board flex mix that with crappy cooling and you have rrod

its easy to fix / prevent though do the xclamp mod and crank the fans to 12v heatsink the memory chips and it should last you

as for the little sensor that phones home erm wrong

the reason for being banned from live is due to modded firmware and the constant cat and mouse games to challenge and responce from the drive hence the bans after ms bring out updates with new checking routines

another way is the console logging that it has been powered up without the drives sata cable plugged in ( when you get power from the console but have the sata hooked to the pc for flashing the drive )

or even nooooooobish stuff like playing pre release games on live like the evaluation saints row 2 copy that was floating around.

vako as for running linux u could always use the Infectus modchip do the timing attack then downgrade the kernel to one thats eexploitable with the king kong hack