511 Easter Egg Hunt

Darren Kitchen

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is rtt.hak5.org currently down?

Doesnt respond to my probes atleast.. :S

There was a password way back in an episode where darren had shown it on screen and it was for his forum password to some pop singer. I think it was Hillary Duff or something. I wonder it that is the password for this zip file. I can't remember the episode, but I had used it to login to that account and I left Darren a message, although many people probably did that as well after that show. Just makes sense ot me that its called song.zip and he had a password to a Singers fanclub forum.Just rembered where I stored that password. Not it.

There was a password way back in an episode where darren had shown it on screen and it was for his forum password to some pop singer. I think it was Hillary Duff or something. I wonder it that is the password for this zip file. I can't remember the episode, but I had used it to login to that account and I left Darren a message, although many people probably did that as well after that show. Just makes sense ot me that its called song.zip and he had a password to a Singers fanclub forum.Just rembered where I stored that password. Not it.

Aargh! Tried:

steganography - no worky

exif/metadata - no worky

file streams - no worky

strings - no worky

Hex editor for clues

Tried using the song.zip as a truecrypt container with cake.jpg as the keyfile. No worky.

Tried the first two checkpoints as passwords - no worky

Tried various websites "encrypted" and not - no worky

hmm yes, the first two wan kinda easy, but number3? maybe i have to wait till next episode to get more hints.. :/

<>

I believe @snubs will be doing a helpful segment on the next episode.

</>

But must say, hunts like these are fun :D

i agree. these hunts are really fun to do. hope they continue to do more just for fun. put what we learn to use.

lol i was doing the python challenge a few weeks ago. made number 2 a little easier to spot :)

Are you working the same easter egg? Part two didn't have any Python in it :)

Are you working the same easter egg? Part two didn't have any Python in it :)

Should Read made the text in the first one easier to recognise. and the same for the 2nd one as well. (thats as far as i got so far) i still had the script i wrote for Python and is easier than doing it by hand :)

Quick question and hope im not giving too much away but when you enter the Code are people using the one displayed or the one after conversion?

tsgrinder or any other brute force won't help you. There are no user accounts associated with the telnet server so don't bother. Of course there is a user for the RDP server but it's not administrator and it's got a 50+ character password so unless you wanna come down to the hakhouse and MITM it you're barking up the wrong tree.

Two people have already successfully submitted the codes from checkpoints 1-4. We've decided to give the first three winners awesome personalized hakpacks / Matt's DNA for nefarious cloning experiments.

We shot the episode on Saturday night so you may have caught Shannon's helpful segment live. Otherwise the episode airs Tuesday night -- usually a little past 11:30 PM EST at revision3.com/hak5 (they put it online first and update the RSS feeds because bandwidth is cheaper overnight. I try to get it on hak5.org no later than noon on Wednesday)