What linux distro are you running on your netbook?

Bai Shen

So I just picked up an 1000HE recently, and I'm trying to decide what version of linux to put onto it. Now I normally run Mandriva. I've had better luck with them and I'm more familiar with their stuff. However, Ubuntu seems to have better netbook support atm, so I'm debating on going with them.

So what version of linux are you running on your netbook and why?

Im running 9.04 on my msi wind , with the 7200 battery and getting about 7 hrs per charge.

2ms3rlh.png

I'd install Arch, and then swap out the generic kernel for the EEE kernel. All information about this can be found on the Arch Wiki. With the latest kernels with some EEE patches I've heard you can get some astounding battery life.

i only use my eeepc for bt3 on usb (xp installed on hdd)

seen as i can only use bt3 for wep/wpa it seems a waste for my eee

@dr0p if i used the eee patch will this give me better battery life my way ?

I wouldn't recommend using the EEE kernel on anything but an EEE as it only has the drivers required to run EEE hardware, nothing else, except it works okay on some other netbooks because they use similar hardware.

On all the computers, laptops here ad home we are running Ubuntu9.04 on and the 4 EeePc netbooks we went from Ubuntu 9.04 back to EasyPeasy.

There just no Windows product here in the house.

Gerard

I've just bought a eee 1000he, does the ubuntu 9.04 work, i.e wireless, suspend mode etc?

Previously Fedora 10 on my eee 701 but Ubuntu 9.04 (standard desktop version) currently. Considering switching back to Fedora but I may wait for Fedora 11 first. Both seem to work fine with the 701's hardware though Fedora 10 has bluetooth issues with my USB dongle and Ubuntu works great with my HSDPA dongle (as does Fedora, but it doesn't feel quite as slick when setting it up) so Ubuntu has a slight edge in hardware.

I've just bought a eee 1000he, does the ubuntu 9.04 work, i.e wireless, suspend mode etc?

The netbook remix version seems to. I threw it on an SDHC card, and it booted fairly quickly. Things seemed to run fine, but I don't mess with it a lot. It seemed like it was missing some of the configuration bits, though. For example, I had to make sure the webcam was turned on(in bios or xp) before I could use it in ubuntu. Also, it doesn't seem to have the auto power management, etc.

Previously Fedora 10 on my eee 701 but Ubuntu 9.04 (standard desktop version) currently. Considering switching back to Fedora but I may wait for Fedora 11 first. Both seem to work fine with the 701's hardware though Fedora 10 has bluetooth issues with my USB dongle and Ubuntu works great with my HSDPA dongle (as does Fedora, but it doesn't feel quite as slick when setting it up) so Ubuntu has a slight edge in hardware.

How do you set those up? I'd like to tether my phone in linux the same as I can do in windows currently.

Aswell as moonlit I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 on my EeePC 701.

Everything is running smooth and fast. No need for custom kernels or annoying fixes.

The updated libnotify is sweet. :)

/gEEEk

How do you set those up? I'd like to tether my phone in linux the same as I can do in windows currently.

I have a Huawei E220 USB HSDPA modem, I just plug it in and Ubuntu detects it right away. I imagine it would vary for phones though, since many phones require specific drivers often only available for Windows. YMMV.

So what version of linux are you running on your netbook and why?

Debian

Because ubuntu is just debian for noobs, and starting with a basic debian kernel and shell from the netinstall, I can just apt-get everything I need, and nothing that I do not need.

Also run XP for games, and BT3 for pentesting.

I have a Huawei E220 USB HSDPA modem, I just plug it in and Ubuntu detects it right away. I imagine it would vary for phones though, since many phones require specific drivers often only available for Windows. YMMV.

-nods- I'll have to give it a shot once I get my machine loaded. I think I'm gonna give eeebuntu a shot on an SD card first.

I have an eee 901 with ubuntu 8.04 running the 2.6.24-21-eeepc kernal. Why? Because it is a snap to setup and all of the hardware works seamlessly with it. I didn't do the remix release because I don't like the menu based desktop.

I installed the latest Ubuntu9.x netbook remix. Everything (even wireless and suspend) worked out of the box. :)

But..... you need to install g++, ncurses, kernel headers,flash etc.. with synaptic.

I programmed today on the bus, yay!

--- end my last netbook comment ever