aspire one vs eee 1000h

wetelectric

aspire one can run osX86... eee cant. 'nuff siad...

lol but seriously, I'm in the same boat as you are and I'm leaning heavily towards a 10 inc aspire one. The atheros chipset, amazing firepower, upgradable battery life, and the ability to run osx? if the eee can produce similar results, I might go for it, but for now, I'm in the acer crowd

I got the 8.9 inch Aspire One for Christmas and It everything works pretty well. Right now I've got Fedora 10 and Windows 7 dual booted on it. The wireless was pretty easy to get working under Fedora besides that pretty much everything was a snap. The keyboard is just fine for me, even though I have long fingers. The small screen can get annoying after a few hours. The only problem I have with it that everyone once and a while it will just shut off. Then I try to turn it back on and it shuts off in mid boot. I have to take the battery out and put it back in for it to work. It doesn't happen to often but just enough to wonder about the quality of it.

AAO has a crap trackpad, otherwise it is solid, but there is a better range of kit for the EEE.

Mac OS X does run on the AAO, but sleep doesn't work last time I looked and thats a pretty big thing for me.

My recommendation would be the Dell Mini 10 with the 'high res' screen. It'll last you much much longer with the better screen, only downside is that it can only take 1GB of memory.

Thanks guys, very informative as usual. I find myself leaning towards the eee 1000h. Although I really wanted the ssd (because it's a relatively new toy... I mean tech ;) ), i can live with sata.

The keyboard size is a big factor for me, I have big hands and I need to be able to touch type. HP mini? anyone got one of these?

Strange though, the XP model price isn't that far off the linux price... something fishy about that.. or am I paranoid?

I have the HP 2133, best keyboard on a laptop bar a thinkpad, if you have larger fingers then you should deffinately look at the newer 1000 and 2140 models from HP. The mini 9 I have is way to small to type on for long periods.

I have the HP 2133, best keyboard on a laptop bar a thinkpad, if you have larger fingers then you should deffinately look at the newer 1000 and 2140 models from HP. The mini 9 I have is way to small to type on for long periods.

mmm they look nice but i'm looking to spend around 300 quid really. But then again I may get the 1000HE for £313...

300 quid to spend on a toy and I call myself working class haha Prawn sandwiches anyone?

Edit:

Ordered the EEE 1000HE in the end. I'd like to say thanks for the comments guys. Every post was really informative. Great stuff.

I got me a Lenovi S10e the other day. I have also been looking at the other 10", but got such a nice deal on the lenovo.

It only has a 4GB SSD drive, so i only use that for os, and a 160GB for the rest.

* Intel Atom processor N270

* Mobile Intel 945GSE Express chipset

* Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

* HDD: 80 or 160 GB2 (2.5-in, 5400 rpm) or open depending on model

* 4 GB SSD (selected models)

* 1 GB of memory

* Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

* Integrated Bluetooth wireless technology

* Broadcom 11b/g6,7 Network Connection

* 10.1-inch WSVGA LED Backlit glossy display on the S10e

* Integrated 1.3-megapixel camera on S10e models

* Three-cell Li-Ion battery

* Two USB 2.0 ports

* 10/100 Ethernet port

++++

Now the only thing i might want to change is the 3 cell battery with a 6 cell, but the 3 cell looks so nice in the computer, and its not that often i'm more then 2.5 hours without any power.

Bought the EEE 1000HE. Might be fun to see if I can overclock it. Really I just want it so I can code when i'm on the bus journey to work.

I really don't understand the point of overclocking laptops and only just get the point in a limited number of cases for the desktop. There are reasons why they are set to the settings they are and no, its not just to do with money.

I really don't understand the point of overclocking laptops and only just get the point in a limited number of cases for the desktop. There are reasons why they are set to the settings they are and no, its not just to do with money.

well youre forgetting the underclockability as well. clock it to2ghz when i need a little more performance for video or multitasking and underclock it to around 1ghz when i need battery life and or cooler run temps.

well youre forgetting the underclockability as well. clock it to2ghz when i need a little more performance for video or multitasking and underclock it to around 1ghz when i need battery life and or cooler run temps.

I wouldn't really say I forgot underclockability. The majority of CPUs and other chips now dynamically change their clock speed and power consumption depending on their usage, some allow you to tell it go slow yourself. If it supports it as a feature then I'd use it, but not if your changing settings in the bios to achieve it.

Point? Just to see if I can. Probably won't though, lazy.

On another note

For those looking to buy the eee 1000he

Bat life is really good.

The track pad is over sensitive.

I've got large hands and I can touch type :)

The tabbed desktop thing (ubuntu 9.x netbook remix thing) is a great idea. I may use it on my desktop.

It's a lovely black, shiny and full of my finger prints.

It came with a nice little pocket-case.

O.S installed from one of these secure SD cards; everything worked out of the box.