FBI Tracking Hackers

PC646

This is complete BS, the US government is allowed to violate peoples' privacy in order to track down an accused person or persons? That is complete and utter nonsense, I don't see how courts can allow this at all.

They do it, but how they divulge what they did to find it may change by the time it gets to court. They may inform someone else and then get a warrant on a supposed "tip" to investigate someones actions. All govermnets spy on people. Its just a fact of life. WHat they end up being able to use in court may varry from what they actually have gathered.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/04/m...fbi-hackin.html

Until people stop doing things like cutting cables in an attempt to extort money or sending bomb threats there will always be a need for stuff like this. The world isn't a nice place and while the above examples are the nicer end of the dirty stick there are people out there who do want to kill you or worse, and law enforcement types must keep up with the times. I don't agree with fishing trips however, so I still think that use of intrusive powers must be regulated through the courts in the same manner as search warrants currently are.

Did anyone read this? FBI using spyware to catch hackers and other people hiding behind proxies...

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/04/f...pyware-pro.html

Pritty stupid of them dont u think!!!!!!

+ we use our own made firewall so wtf

Thos -s-w whont even get close!!!

But its a nice toppic let make a fake port so they are thinking the got something and are fucking around for hours--

so that after there brain comes to the reyelasation that they are getting fould with

• 2 weeks later...

WHAT?! The feds are tracking hackers! Where are the world going..

cmon man, that stuff is pretty pretty old. The NSA has backdoors in windows since windows 95. Which is not new news. I am sure macs have backdoors to for the goverment. Now that Obama will have full power to disconnect from the internet any company he wants, the NSAn FBI and CIA will have total control even when everybody knows about.

To be honest they don;t have to have all that power to do it, cause all they have to do to use trojans, internet sniffers and stuff is to deny everything people say they do and keep doing it in secret. You might think, well using linux we are safe, cmon, woulnd't you accept a couple of thousand of dollars for setting up a backdoor in Linux if you could??? Even open source software is not secure cause, just because it is open source does not mean programmers really read and check all those millions of lines of code to make sure nothing bad is going on and even if they did, they are humans so with some money given to them they can pretend they didin;t see anything. Remember nothing in life is free at all.

Nowadays the goverment is blaming China and Russia for hackin goverment systems, which is just an excuse to start a cyber war with them in the future, don;t be surprise the goverment will blame china or russia if a missile is lunch without authorization or if the internet is down.

After 911 verybody was complaning about what the gov was doing with our privacy. FBI, CIA, etc were wire tapping telephones, getting access to emails and stuff and everybody was upset about that, did the gov care or stop? no, now after 8 years the goverment is still doing that, but now nobody caplains about it. that is what will happen with what the FBI is doind with "hackers". They are actually doing it with everybody, and if they don;t have a reason to have a trojan in your moms computer, they will say she is a hacker so they can have an excuse to do it hahahah just like the terrorist word. which before used to be witch and women got burned just by being called like that even if they were not, same thing with twrrorist and hackers and who knows what new term the gov will use in the future

• 2 weeks later...
cmon man, that stuff is pretty pretty old. The NSA has backdoors in windows since windows 95. Which is not new news. I am sure macs have backdoors to for the goverment. Now that Obama will have full power to disconnect from the internet any company he wants, the NSAn FBI and CIA will have total control even when everybody knows about.

To be honest they don;t have to have all that power to do it, cause all they have to do to use trojans, internet sniffers and stuff is to deny everything people say they do and keep doing it in secret. You might think, well using linux we are safe, cmon, woulnd't you accept a couple of thousand of dollars for setting up a backdoor in Linux if you could??? Even open source software is not secure cause, just because it is open source does not mean programmers really read and check all those millions of lines of code to make sure nothing bad is going on and even if they did, they are humans so with some money given to them they can pretend they didin;t see anything. Remember nothing in life is free at all.

Nowadays the goverment is blaming China and Russia for hackin goverment systems, which is just an excuse to start a cyber war with them in the future, don;t be surprise the goverment will blame china or russia if a missile is lunch without authorization or if the internet is down.

After 911 verybody was complaning about what the gov was doing with our privacy. FBI, CIA, etc were wire tapping telephones, getting access to emails and stuff and everybody was upset about that, did the gov care or stop? no, now after 8 years the goverment is still doing that, but now nobody caplains about it. that is what will happen with what the FBI is doind with "hackers". They are actually doing it with everybody, and if they don;t have a reason to have a trojan in your moms computer, they will say she is a hacker so they can have an excuse to do it hahahah just like the terrorist word. which before used to be witch and women got burned just by being called like that even if they were not, same thing with twrrorist and hackers and who knows what new term the gov will use in the future

Just remember don't give the U.S. government too much credit. There are some very smart people that work for the NSA / HLS but remember they are all mostly tasked on war efforts and their funding is now also very limited. Also it still seems like so many people let Hollywood dictate their view of what "big brother" really is. Trust me most of them aren't that good, and this is coming from a guy with top secret clearence for Federal Office of Personnel Management. We handle well over 1,000,000 personnel background checks yearly for all federal employees / GOVT agencies and our gear is ANCIENT!

Lets not forget the chinese with their backdoor hardware chips in devices. If were going to get all conspiracy theory here, there were some cases of chips being put in devices that were not what were meant to be there. Researchers already proved it could be done: http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/nearly-...ocode-20080416/

All the devices we use today contain some form of chip and most of them are made over seas. What is to stop them from invading our machines if they can create these backdoors. Who says they haven't already?

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/PCWorld/story?id=4825998

This is complete BS, the US government is allowed to violate peoples' privacy in order to track down an accused person or persons? That is complete and utter nonsense, I don't see how courts can allow this at all.

I agree...its just like the wiretaps on phones. there is too much data to look at. Besides ISPs track EVERYTHING you do but does anyone read it...probably not.

i agree completely

You might think, well using linux we are safe, cmon, woulnd't you accept a couple of thousand of dollars for setting up a backdoor in Linux if you could???

I remember reading somewhere that the kernel guys actually got a code submission that was bright-as-day malicious and quickly discarded. And if someone is that paranoid they can always compile their own kernel. Then again, they might not even be able to trust themselves..... :blink:

Working in this field, I can tell you first hand you are right. A) Most feds are dumb and years behind and B) these tools are only used to catch the low hanging super dumb criminals. I posted the article for entertainment value and a wake up call to the noobs who have no scope. Scope is the key, if you are going to be a successful hacker, criminal or fed, you need to be ahead of the game like in chess. Would anyone care to add to the post successful ways not to get caught?

1) Linux Live Boot Disc

2) Random Open Wifi (No coffee shops, they might get you with credit cards, photo line ups, cctv, etc)

3) TOR

4) Random or better yet MAC Address mirrored to computer on open wifi (Sorry random dude for getting your door kicked in and computer taken)

5) Encrypted Hidden Systems

6) Destroy cheap computer or drive (with hammer)

7) Abstinence ;)

8) ...

Now that Obama will have full power to disconnect from the internet any company he wants, the NSAn FBI and CIA will have total control even when everybody knows about.

1) Obama doesn't have the power to disconnect the internet. It's a logical impossibility, even if he says he can.

2) What's the NSAn?

3) You name faintly reminds me of Sarah Palin and Satan

4) ru a trole?

5) lol i trole u!

6) /b/tard is what you may or may not be

7) /r/tard is not a real phrase

Could use a USB Live Disk to no? All this just makes me more I don't know...annoyed. I have always known "Big Brother" is watching just never knew how. Though I haven't done anything that would have the FBI busting my door down. Still don't like the fact that "They are watching"

Live discs with MAC changer, and Onion routing(TOR) although Onion routing is not secure, but good for general surfing and getting to pages restricted by country IP when your exit node is somewhere around the world).

SSH tunnels would probably be the best for encrypting traffic, but the end site you SSH through is your single point of failure, if someone traces it back to say your website that you ssh into, they just look up the owner and it still comes back to you. Havign access to someone elses SSH server, that would be good, especially when you can ssh through multiple sites to hide your tracks.

Proxies work, but I don't trust them these days, as too many honeypots have them setup and monitor all the traffic. People using them from schools and work to get to their MySpace page wonder how come all their friends are asking why you want to send them naked pictures. Its prety obvious that unless you set up your own proxy somewhere, don't trust what you don't own or control. For the paranoid, best bet is unplug and incinerate all your equipment, grab your tinfoil hats and move to some far off island with no inhabitants.

If our government(or any for that matter) really wanted data from your machine, they would just get a warrant and seize whatever they wanted. Hell, they may just come in and take it without a warrant, or with any witenesses to the matter, making it look like a burglary.

This thread needs a serious dose of,

That pick is awesome!