Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04) and the EEE PC

webjockey

Does anybody know how Jaunty runs on the EEE PC (Specifically the model 900 16G)? I am thinking of finally taking the plunge and switching it over and Jaunty looks like a really nice proposition. Also, I have seen some videos of people running it. It is a tad bit slow to boot, but I can deal with that, I just want to make sure that it runs reasonably after that. Also, having wireless connectivity is a major issue for me (and I know that EEE PCs have had an issue with Ubuntu and their wireless chip not mixing).

Imho, you should go with Arch and then install the eee-kernel. It cuts out the crap you don't need in the kernel for much faster performance but at the same time it makes sure that you have the appropriate drivers for everything, including your wifi. Again, this is just my opinion; if you chose to do this, be sure to have the begginers guide for Arch handy because you'll probably get stuck somewhere between installing it and getting your WM up and runnning.

Try the Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 RC. It works flawlessly on my Dell Mini 9. The install is just under 2GB on the drive and it worked with no need to configure the Broadcom 4312 wifi card (and Intel 3945ABG card).

Do you know what kind of wireless card the eee 900 has?

taiyed: Apparently the EEE PC is fitted with an Atheros 5700 wireless chip (I knew it was an atheros chip because it is called ath0, I just didn't know the model).

That's strange Atheros chipsets usually play nice with Linux.

after some reading, it sure sounds like the Atheros 5700 doesn't like Linux. My suggestion would be to boot UNR 9.04 off a thumb drive before going for the full install. What OS did the eee 900 come with?

edit: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/atheros-ar5007-w...ardy-heron.html

take my advice on the atheros card. install from source.

1. deactivate and remove ALL atheros drivers on the distro

2. get the latest source for the atheros drivers

3. extract, build from source, and set to autorun.

youll thank me later. if you dont do that your gonna be stuck with ndiswrapper, and that aint NO fun.

and ndiswrapper with those inf's are pretty crappy. no injection, no wireshark, no nothin' but teh surf.

The atheros wifi on my laptop at least ath5007x doesnt work well with anything BUT the build from source drivers in linux...

which is also why i dont run linux on my lappy @ the moment, but as soon as I am out of server class for the summer, im going to take you up on that arch linux dr0p!

If it's anything like the experience I had trying to make 8.10 work on an eee 701 then don't bother. Custom kernels and non-working drivers and all kinds of crap. Then I installed Fedora and all was well.

Thanks for the input guys. In the end I opted for running Ubuntu in a safe ol' VM on my MBP. It runs beautifully and it looks quite nice too :) . I am thinking I might explore it's possibilities in an this closed environment first. It seemed a nice safe bet and it runs quite fast (boots up in 30 seconds or so etc.)

Meh, I'll stick to 8.10 with KDE on my 701.

If it's anything like the experience I had trying to make 8.10 work on an eee 701 then don't bother. Custom kernels and non-working drivers and all kinds of crap. Then I installed Fedora and all was well.

I take that back. All of it. 9.04 of my 701 is absolutely awesome. Looks good, works well, it's quick and smooth and as best I can tell all the hardware's supported. It even 1up'd Fedora by working with my Bluetooth dongle.

Wifi works fine, bluetooth works fine, my HSDPA dongle works right away, just had to choose the network from Ubuntu's precompiled list of international mobile carriers and boom, works perfectly. Fits in less than 3GB of the eee's SSD, so plenty of space for updates and apps, boots pretty quickly too. Haven't tested battery life yet but it seems the issue where Ubuntu couldn't tell me how full my battery was in real hours and minutes may have been fixed, I'll probably test that properly at some point.

Massive improvement over 8.10 imo, well worth trying it out.

18723384.png

I'm running Easy Peasy on my Eee 701. Its a modified Ubuntu 8.10, designed to run on all netbooks (not just eee-pcs). So far I like it a lot, everything worked out-of-the-box (so to speak). I'm willing to bet they'll release an updated 9.04 version, check it out;

http://www.geteasypeasy.com/

I have a eee pc 901 and I decided to throw ubuntu 8.10 on there yesterday. It works just fine - after the vanilla install the wifi and sound were not working however they were both resolved after I switched to the custom eeepc ubuntu kernel located here:

http://www.array.org/ubuntu/index.html

The whole process was very straight forward. Everything is working including bluetooth, VGA output, webcam, etc. I'm really not a fan of that remix interface that all of the netbook distro's use. I am sure it makes more sense, but even with a tiny keyboard I prefer to launch stuff from the terminal. For a lot of programs I make short bash scripts, that launch the program with specific options and I name them with just two characters and keep them in bin. This way I can launch my most commonly used programs with 3 keystrokes. Works for me...

I'm running Easy Peasy on my Eee 701. Its a modified Ubuntu 8.10, designed to run on all netbooks (not just eee-pcs). So far I like it a lot, everything worked out-of-the-box (so to speak). I'm willing to bet they'll release an updated 9.04 version, check it out;

http://www.geteasypeasy.com/

this just looks like a repackaged Ubuntu Netbook Remix....shady..

18723384.png

*claps* yaaaay, Dust Theme, I swear that theme is awesome. I would install Ubuntu on my EEE PC in a flash if I could but it seems that my External CD Drive just pooped out on me. It worked not long before, but now it just sits there and whirs contentedly, not realising its doing nothing... it makes it look like the files are corrupt whereas everywhere else, the files are fine. So as soon as I get a working CD Drive, I am on the case :)

On my EeePc 701 4G i just upgraded (online) the easypeasy os to Ubuntu 9.04, and all seem to work well and like it shoot be.

To upgrade from Easypeasy on a netbook, press Alt+F2 and type in "update-manager -d" (without the quotes) into the command box. Update Manager should open up and tell you: New distribution release '9.04' is available. Click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions. Thats all.

Gerard

I take that back. All of it. 9.04 of my 701 is absolutely awesome. Looks good, works well, it's quick and smooth and as best I can tell all the hardware's supported. It even 1up'd Fedora by working with my Bluetooth dongle.

Wifi works fine, bluetooth works fine, my HSDPA dongle works right away, just had to choose the network from Ubuntu's precompiled list of international mobile carriers and boom, works perfectly. Fits in less than 3GB of the eee's SSD, so plenty of space for updates and apps, boots pretty quickly too. Haven't tested battery life yet but it seems the issue where Ubuntu couldn't tell me how full my battery was in real hours and minutes may have been fixed, I'll probably test that properly at some point.

Massive improvement over 8.10 imo, well worth trying it out.

18723384.png

OMG OMG OMG OMG!

Seems like my EEE 701 needs a new OS! :)

Thanks moonlit!

EDIT: Did you go with the Netbook Remix version?

/gEEEk