Possibly the first ALL mac bot net?

decepticon_eazy_e

Symantec has found what seems to be the first ALL Mac botnet. I'm loving this, I'm going to forward this to all my Mac buddies. Turns out the Mac isn't invulnerable to viruses and hackers!!

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=3157

Winners don't do warez.

That's the moral of the story..., when one authorizes an unscrupulous cracked installer to have system level access, something bad is bound to happen.

yeah read about this on slashdot, it was pretty common knowledge that those versions of CS4/iWork were infected. so im not that surprised that they started dos'ing site with it. a ton of people downloaded the infected iWork, to my knowledge this trojan is reasonably stealthy so most infected people don't even know.

bottom line, never give root access to an untrusted source

This one is really bothering me. Its not really a virus because you cannot fight it (e.g. with an ANTI-virus).

To lock down against botnets you have to either disable the ability to launch commands or the ability to access the internet. Which both basically render a system useless.

Lol even though there are safe guards in place, root prompt, people are steal(c wat i did thar?) greedy enough to let it do what ever it wants just so then can xray some boobies. In any case I hope to see more MAC virii pop up in the coming year, it would be great to see a nice iPhone or Winmo worm.

Lol even though there are safe guards in place, root prompt, people are steal(c wat i did thar?) greedy enough to let it do what ever it wants just so then can xray some boobies. In any case I hope to see more MAC virii pop up in the coming year, it would be great to see a nice iPhone or Winmo worm.

Very possible, a guy at Pwn2Own this year had an iPhone 0day but wasn't willing to part with it for $10k so it might be getting sold somewhere else ;p

This isn't a Mac virus.