OpenWRT Flash Issue...

Wetwork

Hey all

Noobish issue......is there a more detailed walkthrough on setting up OpenWRT on the Fon router for either win or Linux? I have the fon flash .exe and am trying to figure out how to use that to flash my Foneria+ with the WRT firmware from Windowz XP but my brain is melting under the strain.......... I tried to follow the walk through on Digi's page but didnt get very far...

Also is it possible to do all the updates as well as the install of the interceptor from a VMLinux? or does Linux have to be the dependant O/S?

One last thing.........has anyone come up with a good way to power the Interceptor with either PoE via one of the NIC cables or some sort of battery pack that is slightly smaller than a car battery for long term Interceptor use?

DigiNinja.........this is awesome beyond discripton!!! TYVM!

I'm not very clear on your issue. Have you tried running FonFlash.exe and pointing it at the .squash and .lzma? While the Fon is off press "Go" or the equivalent and then power on the Fon.

Also in my experience the Fon+ don't need to be 'unlocked' to flash but to cover my bases, do you know what version of the firmware the Fon shipped with?

I'm not very clear on your issue. Have you tried running FonFlash.exe and pointing it at the .squash and .lzma? While the Fon is off press "Go" or the equivalent and then power on the Fon.

Also in my experience the Fon+ don't need to be 'unlocked' to flash but to cover my bases, do you know what version of the firmware the Fon shipped with?

I have a brand spanking new Fon so its whatever is the latest firmware that is shipped with the Foneria+

In the episode Darren talks about using the atheros firmware from openWRT ...is there a specific one that is used or will openwrt-atheros-ubnt5-squashfs.bin do the same job or is the openwrt-atheros-root.squashfs file necessary?

Thanks all for the help

Have you read through my full install notes?

http://www.digininja.org/interceptor/install_walkthrough.php

You can't get much more detailed!

As for which firmware to use, I'd go for the ones from here

http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8.09/atheros/

I read through your total walk through and at first reading i was a little baffled but after using it as bed time reading for a few days it made more sense to me. Most of the complications are due to the fact that i am just a beginner at Linux distros and still trying to familiarize myself with all the different shell commands that are necessary.

at first attempt I was able to use the FonFlash.exe program with the recomended files and bricked the Fon after it dropped the network connection (yes i used the wired connection) but am working through that issue now and am geared up to make another attempt.

I wont quit till i have an interceptor of my very own!

Once again thanks everyone for all the help

PS might be a good idea to add a forum on how to unbrick a Fon for others who have made the silly mistakes that i have

PS might be a good idea to add a forum on how to unbrick a Fon for others who have made the silly mistakes that i have

See the sticky at the top of the Jasager forum for that.

As long as you don't loose redboot you should always be fine. I've not yet managed to find a way to lose redboot and I've done some serious mangling of installs!

D'ok .....Sorry for the long delay in posting back

I was able to work out everything in digi's walk through but now am having the issue that i was able to flash the router with fon flash and it states that it finished successfully but when i try to telnet into the router (attempted on Linux and windows on this one) i get no reply back from the router nor any ping acknowledgment.

I ran wireshark on the connection, at it appears that the router isn't replying to any transmissions whatsoever

I am going to download the squash and lzma files again and attempt a reload of the fon yet again

Anyone have any suggestions for tapping into this stubborn monkey before i reflash it again (this time with redboot)

Update

I reflashed again, and this time when i try to ping after manually resetting the router (EG unplugging it ) i am able to ping 192.168.1.1 with 3 pings and then it stops....no luck telneting into it yet to access WRT

ever vigilant

The 3 pings will be the replies to redboot.

Did you definitely do this bit:

RedBoot> fconfig

Run script at boot: true

Boot script:

Enter script, terminate with empty line

>> fis load -l vmlinux.bin.l7

>> exec

>>

If you didn't then drop into redboot again and you can do this without reflashing.