iphone & truecrypt

alphonsegreen

does anyone know an alternative for truecrypt on iphone?

(or any solution for file encryption)

thanks..

Isn't there no file manager on the iPhone, making an application to encrypt files and access them pretty pointless, as no other application will be able to access the files. Isn't also any file manager banned by the AppStore?

I remember reading somewhere about Apple coming up with some device encryption for corporate use, but haven't heard anything since.

But the rule of thumb should be if its worth encrypting then it shouldn't be kept on the iPhone!

Does the iphone take external memory, sd cards or such? If so, I imagine you could encrypt files to store on there, but you would probably have to write an app to do it. Like stingwray said, if there is no local storage, what good is encrypting a file? I don't have nor ever used an iPhone, so just asking.

Does the iphone take external memory, sd cards or such? If so, I imagine you could encrypt files to store on there, but you would probably have to write an app to do it. Like stingwray said, if there is no local storage, what good is encrypting a file? I don't have nor ever used an iPhone, so just asking.

There's no external memory on the iPhone, just the inbuilt stuff. As far as I know you can use the iPhone in disk mode like all iPods, but those files are only accessible from a computer it is connected to. I believe there is a ban on any file-management systems in the app store.

This is why the iPhone hasn't worked in Japan because of its dependency on being used with a full computer.

There's an app for OSX that allows full file system access to the phone from the computer that works on non jailbroken systems. So yeah, getting at the files is do-able.

There are some lockbox type applications in the app store that will store and encrypt passwords and the like, but full file system encryption is not possible.

If you have a jailbroken iPhone / iTouch you could theoretically change the firmware to incorporate a modified truecrypt system. It would probably really slow it down though since they don't have a lot of power.

one day all you iphone fanboys will see that iphones fail in so many ways. get a proper windows mobile ppc phone. i personally love the htc smartphone/ppc phones. theres more apps than you can even imagine, win mobile is super hackable, theres huge winmobile communities like xda-developers and duttythroy.net (couple of my favs) and things like multitasking, file encryption, cut & paste, and everything else the iphone fails at comes standard. not trying to turn this into an iphone bash thread but i would seriously recommend ditching that overhyped ipod when your contract is up.

one day all you iphone fanboys will see that iphones fail in so many ways. get a proper windows mobile ppc phone. i personally love the htc smartphone/ppc phones. theres more apps than you can even imagine, win mobile is super hackable, theres huge winmobile communities like xda-developers and duttythroy.net (couple of my favs) and things like multitasking, file encryption, cut & paste, and everything else the iphone fails at comes standard. not trying to turn this into an iphone bash thread but i would seriously recommend ditching that overhyped ipod when your contract is up.

I think you just did, which is no doubt what you wanted, hopefully no one will fall for your terrible bait.

it is possible to sftp into the iphone's storage as you know. if someday, someone steals my iphone, I don't want some files to be seen. I don't really need a full disk encryption thing. but rather some kind of protected storage. thanks

But if you encrypt them, you can't use them on your iPhone, so why keep them on the phone to begin with? The sensitive stuff like your contacts you can't encrypt.

Also I would imagine that even if you encrypted some files and had a way to open them, the iphone takes screen shots all the time. All some one would have to do is find the screen shot and there would be no need in cracking a file. Until apple says, here ya go guys do what you will, you should just keep your phone in sight at all times. Plus sensitive information shouldnt be kept on a phone in the first place.

• 4 months later...

there's definitely an app for file managing but only if you have a jailbroken phone. google what jailbreaking iphones means. if you jailbreak your phone (hack) your warranty evaporates but it lets you put on apps not approved by apple, like you can download apps from peoples websites instead of app store.

Windows Mobile is a steaming pile of shit. No, I dont have an iphone, nor do I want one. Yes, I have used Windows Mobile based devices for years, and my opinion is based on actual use.

I hate all cell phones equally, regardless of OS or capabilities. :)

I only have a pre-paid one in case of emergencies, and 20 dollars on the phone lasts me like 6 months or longer.

this is not really encryption but i know that there are apps out there for security measures. that allow you to mange your phone online. if someone steals it you can wipe all the memory from it and lock it so its unusable.

(though im not sure what the measures are of them taking your sim card out and putting in there own.) also you can use the phones gps to find out where it is at.

although: with the program funbox

you can access all your files with just a usb. also they have a general storage option and if nothing else would you be able to encrypt things that this that do you no good on your phone just to move stuff around?

25h38jl.jpg