Has any one ever used Netscape?

Sparda

I just installed it for the first time ever and I hate it.

Firstly, the installer by default wanted me to subscribe to some crazy services, which I promptly unchecked. When I got the browser running, Kerio freaked out as Netscape tried to connect to 50ish servers! Not only that, after I told kerio to perminantly denie Netscape Internet access, the security thing was souting at me "Oh look, your anti-spyware, anti-phishing updates are out of date, you better up date them!", who ever made this browser so craptastic deservs to die. After I managed to shut the security thing up I noticed a (blank) news ticker, even IE doesn't have some thing that crap!

That reminds me, by default "Render selected sites using Internet Explorer engine" was on by default, sounds like a posible major security flaw to me, I turned it off. After I got though all this, I finaly managed to do what I wanted to do in the first place which was to test this page, it did work, and the only browser I have found that it doesn't work in is Internet Explorer, it works fine with all other tested browsers (Opera, Firefox, Netscape).

Netscape was great up to and including version 3. Version 4 was okay, but was kinda getting in the way. I think 5 got scrapped, and 6 was basically Mozilla with ads. Seriously, why bother?

Do note though, that back then Netscape made a pretty decent webserver. It's been a marginal player from the get-go I think, but it worked well, and was my first experience with writing webserver modules (NSAPI for Netscape, ISAPI for IIS. Apache has something but I never made anything for them).

To be honest, I seriously wonder why there still is a Netscape. They're part of AOL-Time-Warner. Give up the brand while it's still got a little bit of credibility left.

I'm going to keep the browser installed, but I'm never going to use it again unless I need to test a webpage I made works with it.

Why bother? Most people use IE6, a few use firefox, a few use safari, the occasional visitor uses opera and about 1% use something else. If it sucks as bad as you say, i doubt anyone will be using it, and are the differences with the mozilla/firefox base large enough to need it for testing?

The XML page cannot be displayed 

Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parameter entity must be defined before it is used. Error processing resource 'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd...

%xhtml-prefw-redecl.mod;

-^

Thats what I get... and you've blocked everything else as well for IE viewers... great stuff

I used 4 and 5 until I discovered Firefox.

5 didn't exist.

I used 1 and 2 a bit, spent years on 3, and a long time on 4.x - but this was on the 486 I had up until 2000. LOL

I still primarily use and prefer Seamonkey, because the UI, menus, navigation, shortcuts, everything, etc. are all very similar to the early netscapes. And I luvs it. :)