Whats your SSID?

shonen

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't use wireless for my network. Its not secure. But I do notice lots of other peoples SSID's in my neighborhood... ;)

Mines = homebase

and no.. not broadcast.

-I have ssid broadcast = off

-Under-rated signal so that it's only reachable in house (i never use my laptop outside.. also grubby neighbors that cant/dont want to afford high speed.)

-Mac whitelist w/all unlisted in blacklist (for those who think they can)

-AND! a pretty strong password w/ WPA2

w00t!

in short, you would have to have some really good shiz to get into my wifi network *or some REALLY good booze..* ya know.. thats always doable..

Granted, Wireless is not the most secure method for transmitting data but providing you use WPA2 with a rather long pass phrase or random button bashing like a n00b playing street fighter you are pretty much safe from bandwidth theft.

I personally broadcast my shit and cover a fair amount of distance with my network, Its nice to sit in the park on a warm summers day drinking a bottle of red and snacking on cheese and cracker while browsing the interwebs.

I have mac filtering enabled on my setup and yes, I am well aware that you can change it with macchanger in BT but it keeps the n00bs out along with my WPA2 key.

Occasionally when I am bored I will attach one AP in client mode to my smoothwall box and l33ch some internets while attaching another AP in infrastructure mode broadcasting free internetz. I Love smoothwalls transparent proxy and msn logging features =P

NICE. havent played with smoothwall yet. (dont have an extra system not in despose @ the moment) but I want to some time soon. What I want to do is get ahold of something like a P3 @ about 1ghz w/512mb ram in it, trash the hdd, get a sdhc to ide connector w/ about 16 to 32 gigs and throw in a custom made super slim lexan box (I have made them before. quite the fun thing to do) and make it mounted under my desk. Heck, I have about 3 nics i'm not using already, so that wouldnt be the problem at all. Matter of fact the hardest thing about it would be setting it up to be fanless (or rather use a fan but make sure it runs fine without a fan) this way if the fan did go out, then it would not be any issue (hence also why I would use a P3 as opposed to an amd for this setup) also so it could be silent. w00t!

I left mine to Linksys with no encryption. I know I am ashamed of myself. I think I'm going to change it to WPA2. Too much of a hassle

You sir are promoting COMMUNISM! and should wash your hands...

I was actually surprised at how painless Smoothwall was to install and configure as soon as I heard it was based on unix I was like, here we bloody go.

Thats a neat little project hex and a nice way of dealing with the noise and space factor. I am running an old p3 myself which I ended up scoring off ebay for $50.00. When I get some money I am thinking about building a new box and getting one of the ATX rack mountable case's so I can shove it in my cabinet.

You sir are promoting COMMUNISM! and should wash your hands

I lol'd!

That and the rest of the Linux user population.

I think I'm going to change it to WPA2. Too much of a hassle

Its amazing you turned on your computer, launched your web browser, punched in a url, entered in a user name and password followed by viewing this topic and making a posting.

As far as I am concerned that is more of a hassle and takes a lot more effort than configuring a bloody WPA2 key =P

and here I thought that I had a bad case of CBF *hands over his title* ^_^

I don't use wireless for my network. Its not secure. But I do notice lots of other peoples SSID's in my neighborhood... ;)

Wireless is perfectly secure, if yours isn't then your doing it wrong.

For instance I have complete faith in my setup which doesn't even use WPA or WEP of any kind, I haven't bothered with that for along time because its too fussy on certain systems.

*by 'perfectly secure' I mean that I mean 99.9% as we all no system is perfect, the most likely way someone is going to get access to my network that way is by taking a wrench to me.

Mine is "Wireless WPA" but only because i need to have wep for cracking and i dont want someone else thinking its wep

on the subject of security every wireless network can be cracked but its a matter of risks vs hasstle. If your paro and think the world is out to get you then do have a wifi network. but if you know that 99% of people cant crack wep let alone wpa so you should be sweet with a simple password. ;)

What do you use then? RADIUS?

RADIUS only provides Authentication, Authorization and Accounting which is useful for some people, doesn't increase the security of the system generally, just gives a nicer way of administering the network.

I use a Kerberos for Authentication and Authorization and VPN for encrypting the traffic. The VPN server sits on the private side of the network. To access that network you must go through the VPN, the network only permits VPN traffic through its firewall so the only method of compromise would be an exploit to the firewall or VPN server realistically.

Mine is "Wireless WPA" but only because i need to have wep for cracking and i dont want someone else thinking its wep

on the subject of security every wireless network can be cracked but its a matter of risks vs hasstle. If your paro and think the world is out to get you then do have a wifi network. but if you know that 99% of people cant crack wep let alone wpa so you should be sweet with a simple password. ;)

There are security systems that are impossible to hack electronically, you just take a wrench to someone with access to gain permissions.

I think the argument that 99% of people don't know how to crack WEP is a very bad one, given that it is pretty trivial to do, doesn't require special equipment and the knowledge is very hard to find, realistically one one with a laptop within range could be an attacker. Just because people can't do it now, isn't a security measure, give them 5 minutes googling 'how to get into a passworded wifi network' and they'll probably be able to do it if they have half a brain.

Damn stingray VPN implamentation just to use a wireless connection is pretty hardcore for home use. I am guessing you deal with important data when it comes to work related stuff, either that or you are one avid computer enthusiast.

I agree that the majority of people would have no clue how to gain access to a WEP protected access point and yes it is a trival matter indeed. Not to nit pick stingray but technically speaking you do kind of need special equipment if you want to crack it in 5 minutes, wireless card that supports packet injection springs to mind but yeah any card that can opperate in rfmon could do the job given enough time and patiants. In any case I wouldn't rely on WEP as a secure way of transmitting my data, I just wouldn't feel comfortable browsing the interwebs.

Damn stingray VPN implamentation just to use a wireless connection is pretty hardcore for home use. I am guessing you deal with important data when it comes to work related stuff, either that or you are one avid computer enthusiast.

I need the VPN anyway for when I was on external sites so really using it for wireless wasn't any trouble as it was all there. Just gave the firewall another port which only the AP network is attached to.

Ah nice one Rayman,

Out of curiosity what o.s are you running your VPN on? you just using a windows xp machine, windows 2k server or something? Reason I ask is I am considering rigging something like this up myself. I was previously just using windows xp pro for VPNing on my desktop but I now currently have access to a server that I was considering using.