i'd love to start using LINUX

FroZen_FlaMe

hey guys

how u doing? hope u r still surviving this life :D

well , i would like to ask u a favour as usuall

i really would love to know everything "possible to know" about linux

i'm blank :S , i mean, i really don't know any about linux :(

so 1, what kind of operating systems of linux shall i start with ? cuz as far as i know that they are diffrent types of linux OS ( hope i'm not wrong ).

2, how shall i start? any suggested resources to teach how to begin with linux and even how to install it and get me started to use it ?

3, thanks in advance :D

Heyz, Digip and Keiyentai

that was very helpfull

but do u have some kind of a website that shows everything with video tutorials that would be nice if u have this kind of resources :D

but still thanx :D

oppsy b4 i forgot i still didn't know about which version or type of linux would it be nice and good to learn :D

oppsy b4 i forgot i still didn't know about which version or type of linux would it be nice and good to learn :D

First link

but do u have some kind of a website that shows everything with video tutorials that would be nice if u have this kind of resources :D

second link

hmm... ya know this is a good idea, and I never thought of that before.

I google searched and found this: http://ubuntuclips.org/

That should be good for you.

As far as what type of linux, I think we can all agree that if your just starting out, download ubuntu, specificly Ubuntu 8.10 (since it is the most recent stable version) and go from there.

Let me ask you, do you know how to burn an iso file? if not tell us. I got to go to work, so I dont have time @ the moment to write up a tut for you on that.

Also, if you just want to check it out without being committed to it, why dont you try Virtual Box: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

And use that for now to setup and play with linux, until your more comfortable. you may be happier that you did it that way.

L8r!

hmm... ya know this is a good idea, and I never thought of that before.

I google searched and found this: http://ubuntuclips.org/

That should be good for you.

As far as what type of linux, I think we can all agree that if your just starting out, download ubuntu, specificly Ubuntu 8.10 (since it is the most recent stable version) and go from there.

Let me ask you, do you know how to burn an iso file? if not tell us. I got to go to work, so I dont have time @ the moment to write up a tut for you on that.

Also, if you just want to check it out without being committed to it, why dont you try Virtual Box: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

And use that for now to setup and play with linux, until your more comfortable. you may be happier that you did it that way.

L8r!

Or just run a live disc as a trial to get familiar with it before taking the install plunge...

http://www.livecdlist.com/

Digip ,moonlit and h3%5kr3w

thanx alot for the resources and the webstites that shared with me :)

to h3%5kr3w

sure dude :) , i know how to burn iso files and also know how to work with live discs

but the idea was which linux should i use ,do u see what i mean

cuz whenever i made my mind to work and try a verison of linux, i find something else so that makes me crazy cuz i don't know what's for what , if u see what i mean :)

but i will try the version that u suggested :) thanx dude

and thanks again for u all guys :D

+1 Ubuntu 8.10

Most new user's that I know of start with ubuntu or Fedora core.

Also you may wanna read this previous post http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12716 hex did a pretty good job at laying out applications and some command's you will need to get you started.

An install guide can be found here:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Installing-...-10-97417.shtml

Personally I would go for a dual booting option with ubuntu and windows, install process for it is a little differnt due to partition's. Protip install window's first and ubuntu second.

If you need a tutorial for that their are plenty one the interwebs, youtube also has video's.

sweet, that's cool i'll work with ur advise shonen

but one more Q, i remember that one of my friends who works with linux told me that gentoo is the best , is that right ? and why do u think ubuntu is good not any other verison also what makes it the number 1 choice for the new users?

thanx again

I personally have not used gentoo so I can't exactly comment on it, however I have heard that it is a bit of a pain in the backside for new user's to get use to (ubuntu is by far the best n00bish to intermediate nix o.s). With that said I have a mate who swears by gentoo as well.

In any case you could always download both and check em out prior to an install, not sure if gentoo runs as a live CD but you can always install it on your windows machine with virtual box or VMware.

lol Just remember when it comes to O.S's everyone has their own opinion's and needs its best to check em out for yourself prior to an install. Personally you can't go wrong with ubuntu and I am sure a fair few members in here will agree.

EDIT:

These guys also have some good video tutorials on nix cli to get you started, personally its a waste of band width, what you really need is just the syntax and a break down of the command so you know what portion is doing what.

http://showmedo.com/

FreeBSD taught me more about *nix than Ubuntu ever did. Ubuntu is pretty much just like Windows at the end of the day, same level of skill involved with using it. If you want something that just works and isn't pirated then by all means use it, but don't think that because your pasting commands into bash rather than just clicking on shit that your doing anything different.

Shonen

fair enough, but the thing is i want to learn about a version of linux which will help me understand linux more and will be as an advantage for me cuz it's almost no one knows about linux where i live just a few ppl

AND FOR THAT REASON i wanted to learn how to deal with linux

VaKo

got what u mean :). and will try FreeBSD as well

thanx all for replyin

agreed Vako but freeBSD is a pretty harsh learning curve, some of us would rather not jump into the deep end when using a nix distro as a main O.S. =P

Frozen if its for a learning factor use a virtual enviroment or a secondary box (if you have one) as a play thing. No sense installing something you can't exactly use on a daily basis.

yah, vako who said that it was a contest of who knows the most about the shell? besides, for the most part you only have to know a little bit about it and your set, because everything else can be done in the gui. I myself am a gui person, I guess that is why. If your not a gui person, then that's why you feel the way you do. Tomato/Tomahto

By nature, unix was meant to be used from the shell. GUI was an after thought, and shortcut in some respects for CLI commnads. Same could be said for windows. Get windows power shell and go to it in the CLI if you really want to be hardcore, but you can't learn anything if you don't dive in. Im no linux expert, but I have learned alot just because of BackTrack alone. When you have a goal, it makes learning that much easier. For me it was learning how to crack wep and wpa, and that lead me to learn more about linux, installing it, and the various flavors and commands for different distros. Doesn't matter what distro you use at this point, as getting your feet wet and learning how to fix what you have broken will get you going, because you almost always break shit and have to reinstall at some point when you start messing with shit and the box won't boot. Read, then read some more. Play and experiment, and try to have a goal in mind. What was your purpose to learn linux? What do you want to do with it? And then learn how to execute that goal, wether ti be setting up a web server, installing services, learning different tools, formatting HDD's and custom installing, home media server, etc.

I have to agree Back Track was fantastic for getting the feet wet in a nix environment.

Don't get me wrong sure dive in with nix and have a muck around and all that jazz but for fuck sakes don't do it as a your only O.S install when everything is new/greek to you.

With that logic I would recommend this fellow to go and purchase a Cisco router with an the adsl wic slot so he can configure the IOS to go on the interwebs. =P Sure you will learn alot but you wont be able to consult google until you get the bastard up and even then it could take you a fair amount of time and hair pulling.

Do you want to have a head of hair like Homer Simpson........ I think NOT!

yah, i see your point there, and although I have used linux for servers (like xubuntu.) and have used the cli for it, I am one that is all for it being a desktop replacement/alternative for windows, so I mean that's the reason why I like the gui cause I use it for a desktop system that needs to be reliable for everyday stuff.

If you want to get into stuff like apache and webserving/failover/routing and etc. then by all means use the cli. I am just saying that I guess I see linux in a different aspect than most because linux IS what YOU make of it. It can be as easy or as hardcore as you want it to be (ubuntu included)

Personally I try to use the cli for as much as I can, well providing I am not in one of my CBF moods. At the end of the day its good to know you can fall back on a gui if you run into a spot of bother. XD

debian 5 or fedora 9 with fluxbox gui will teach you everything you could want to know ;) Or you could try installing arch if your adventurous.

Newbuntu = worst thing you could do you would be better off keeping windows.