Glass Projection

iamhaen

I have wanted to put a glass dry erase board in my room for a while so I can keep a ToDo list that I couldn't help but look at everyday (or just draw funny pictures on), so I was mulling the idea around with some buddies from work and came upon the idea of taking a Pico Projector and projecting a computer desktop onto the glass. My current desktop setup has news feeds and the such on the sides an bottom but leaves the middle of the screen empty, I figure this would be perfect allowing me plenty of real estate use markers while seeing all my news and twitter messages on the sides. I could also let it slide show pictures and even throw on some video if I so desired.

I have most of the designs finished, I know where I'm hiding the projector and the resolution is good enough for what I want to do, but I have never tried to project onto glass before. I am wondering if someone here might have some suggestions on the best way to do this. Clear glass wont work without a crazy expensive projector set, but I am hoping that frosted glass might be able to give me the effect that I want. If anyone has any experience or information that might help me out I'd be extremely grateful. Thanks.

~Scott

I am also looking at doing a very similar project. Let me know how it goes. I projected on frosted glass a while back but can't remember how the video turned out, have an email out to the guy I worked on the project with. I'll let you know if i find out anything. I would just grab the pico though and go to a window or glass store and see how it works on single sided frosted. The pico might not be bright enough for your application. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Draftsman paper would work nicely (its basically thick, matt tracing paper with a very consistent lack of grain/whirls). I did a few projects back in university using this type of paper attached to glass during my fine art days. Very good effect if you use off-center projection and keystoning. Depending on how bright the projectors lamp is you should try 2-3 sheffs of the stuff stretched taught.

• 2 weeks later...
Draftsman paper would work nicely (its basically thick, matt tracing paper with a very consistent lack of grain/whirls). I did a few projects back in university using this type of paper attached to glass during my fine art days. Very good effect if you use off-center projection and keystoning. Depending on how bright the projectors lamp is you should try 2-3 sheffs of the stuff stretched taught.

Vellum. http://www.artsupply.com/alvin/clearprint.htm