The black hat Hak5?

gcninja

I apparently have somethign called xmarks and it shows me similar sites, i caught one thats like the opposite, or REALLY black hat, i know you guys grey hat of this place http://www.hackforums.net/

they REALLY dont care about law enforcement seeing their topics.

it aslo had room362, binrev, remote-exploit and hak5.org, so i guess its doing a good job? lol just wanted to share

The problem with "blackhat" forums where everyone can register is that 90 % of the people there are 15 year old boys who want to hack their school if you are really interested in computer security it's better to go to "whitehat" sites where most people are serious and know what they are talking about. At least that's my experience

Yeah, basically you need to find a white hack website and pretend you're an IT professional learning some new things.

Its not pretending, its learning for real by way of Social Engineering.

Wost thing on the internet = Popular black hat forums. and 4chan.

"i ned 2 no how 2 hax msn"

"i pay 4 u 2 hax msn"

"my friend opens my cd drive and controls my computer" -> "He installed a RAT on your computer" ->"No he didn't how does he do it?" -> " He installed a RAT delete it" ->"Okay I deleted it but he's still doing it, how does he do it" -> "You didn't delete it"....

"Help!11!!!1!!1! i ned 2 keylog 4 runescape acounts"

"How do I hax wifi"

"How do I hax wifi"

"How do I hax wifi"

"How do I hax wifi"

"i ned to hax gmail''

"help hax my msn"

"Hax this site for me" Contents: "hax this site he called me a n008 www.somecrapassrandomsitehere.com"

Okay I think I'm done.

Yeah, basically you need to find a white hack website and pretend you're an IT professional learning some new things.

My experience of those sites is that the experts there won't divulge any dodgy techniques until a newcomer has been around for a while and has posted some useful messages. They're aware that it's easy to register and then ask noob-type questions. Some have a hidden inner sanctum to which invites are given ... then you get access to all sorts of information.

Some things are just not ment to be public. Im vip on a few forums (not showing off) and some of the information there is just cruel.. I mean yes, its always handy to be able to install a server on someones pc thats f**ked you off and to be able to secure your machine with the knowledge on the new tactics people are using but the other information just over steps the mark.. I think this is what creates inner circles. To be honest if your a loyal member with decent input you'll find people will help you with valid reason.. Well im on mobile and thumb hurts now lol

The problem is that with inner circles people tend to see it as a clique, and you get a huge us & them thing going on. This never works in the long run. The hak5 forums are primarily a forum for the fans of the show, rather than any uber hacker forum. This is always something i've had in mind during my time here. All I want to encourage is people talking about the technical ideas rather than moralizing on what can be done with this information.

well its not easy to find "hacking" information without knowing the right people, so really you just have to be experimental and not get caught, or know someone

Yeah it is, Just find one black hat forum from google, hell you don't even have to find a black hat forum, and follow the trail, you will find tons of forums will all kinds of information. Some forums are less secretive then others.

It would be interesting to know how Darren et al will respond to this proposal. I know that there's a fine line between black and white hat activity and the distinction lies in the intent and the posession of authorisation to "do the deed". I suspect that if there is an episode or segment, it would be prefaced heavily with "this is for educational purposes" or "this is what responsible netadmins must know in order to protect their network" etc., otherwise there might be a visit to the HakHouse by some guys (or gals!) displaying frightening badges!

Why not just undertake a security assessment/penetration test of the Hak5 systems, or a lab setup to show the steps involved.

This could get round a large amount of the "educational" non-white hat problems, and if they undertook what is known as a "black box" assessment which assumes no prior knowledge of the infrastructure to be tested ;)

Anyway, just my 2cents.