PAID VPN / SSH

helpme0k

Hello everyone.

I have been behind a SQUID proxy server for over a year now and it has severely impacted my ability to learn about computers. I am an American but do not live in the USA and I do not have a family member that has the technical ability to set me up either a VPN or SSH tunnel that would allow me to get past the censorship.

I ask for help. Is there anyone out there who can recommend a solution. TOR just doesn't cut it for all my needs.

What I would use the connection for:

1. IRC access

2. FTP /SFTP for website development

3. Occasional downloading of legal torrent files

4. The ability to download certain movie file extensions that are blocked by the SQUID proxy. (Usually tutorials or other media similar in nature to hak5)

5. Downloading of legitimate, paid content from websites that do not allow downloads from countries other than the US, UK, etc.

I welcome logging and someone keeping an eye on what I am doing. I am an ethical, intermediately skilled computer guy. I am willing to pay for this service. I wouldn't use that much bandwidth as I can use my throttled 40kbps down 60 up proxied internet for most of my needs.

The squid proxy setup is typical. It blocks every port but TCP port 80 and 443. (Yes, it even blocks DNS). I am willing to pay but need someone I can trust from the hak5 community or a referral to a legitimate professional business service.

Before you do anything, check your conditions of use of the internet, if your behind a proxy which bans a lot of things, circumventing the proxy may be a breach of the T&C, at which point limited internet becomes a hell of a lot better than no internet at all.

Also depending on your situation, it may in fact be illegal, wouldn't want you to end up in prison.

Before you do anything, check your conditions of use of the internet, if your behind a proxy which bans a lot of things, circumventing the proxy may be a breach of the T&C, at which point limited internet becomes a hell of a lot better than no internet at all.

Also depending on your situation, it may in fact be illegal, wouldn't want you to end up in prison.

I'll give a quick rant and then hopefully, we can get back to my request:

Being from the west I understand your words and mindset, but I must tell you in other countries of the world and perhaps the country I live in, programs like skype are technically illegal because they use encryption. In fact, any kind of encryption that hasn't been priory authorized by the government is illegal. Of course, technically there might be a way to get approved but first you would have to qualify, the paperwork is unrealistic, and you could end up being watched. Of course that doesn't stop millions of people from doing it because many laws are on the law books but most of them aren't enforced or if they are they have a kind of "pick-and-choose" philosophy. You probably don't live in a country where bureaucracy is so complicated, slow, and bad that most government officials and wealthy operate by just paying people directly to get their business done, where doing the right thing means you or your company goes bankrupt because you pay your taxes and do your work legally. You probably don't live in a country where you would have to save all your earnings for over six months to buy a legal copy of say windows Vista, where the government says piracy is illegal, but illegal software is sold within a 5 minute walk in regular stores. Oh and by the way, that legal copy that technically you don’t even own, you only have permission to use windows property on your computer. You probably live in a country where you know your rights. Perhaps, the country I live in, no one knows what the law actually says or what their rights are, and neither do most of the lawyers.

So, thanks for looking after my well-being. I do appreciate it. I've never heard of hackers going to jail in the country where I live. In fact, some of the botnets, illegal fishing websites, etc are hosted here and no one in the government does anything about it. Why? They get their cut. Imagine that you sat in a room and were given a computer and all you could do is use http to explore the world. You heard about online video games, chatting, networking, etc but you “weren’t allowed” to do anything. You're a geek, right? After all, you're at hak5! In many places, just even watching a broadcast talking about "hacking" would be illegal and technically could end you up in jail. Of course, they don’t enforce it like that but if they ever wanted to, they could… Would you sit in cooperation? Would you be a mindless drone? I respect the law, but no group or organization has the moral right to take fundamental human rights like the right to learn away from people.

Sorry, if my post seemed rude. It wasn’t intended to be.

It's easy to sit in the west with in your societies that empower you and aren't against you and be critical of these things.

I am not talking about being given books or being provided as a privilege but rather the concept of a God given right to have the ability to possess / do these things.

If you lived in a society that said reading was against the law or taking a car apart to learn how it worked was illegal and / or a violation of the owners copyright or privilege. Would you do it?

The Internet isn't a rite or a privilege really, given how it is made up. However connection to the internet, is a privilege and you should abide by the T&C. If you want to use the Book analogy, Books aren't a rite or a privilege, you get to privilege to read the book or borrow it from a library, bot of which have conditions.

Breaking the law because the law is wrong is used by a lot of people and it offers absolutely no defense. Many things are illegal in countries that are really silly laws, including some in the USA, Europe etc. Cryptography laws have always been restrictive and especially to do with export, which is even more difficult to control with the Internet.

Using the excuse about no one being prosecuted for breaking certain laws is a very bad one and I doubt that its the case that no one ever has. Also its also more likely to make the authorities make an example of you when they do catch you, as has been the case with the limited number of "hacking" trials.

I think your best course of action would be to look for a different connection to the internet which is less restrictive.

I think your best course of action would be to look for a different connection to the internet which is less restrictive.

Unfortunately, that is not a possibly in my case.

I want to at least thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

Enjoy your freedoms that you have. You are very lucky. Make sure you fight for your rights and freedoms or you will wake up one day without them.

:)

Unfortunately, that is not a possibly in my case.

I want to at least thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

Enjoy your freedoms that you have. You are very lucky. Make sure you fight for your rights and freedoms or you will wake up one day without them.

:)

You really should stop going on about our "freedoms", if you want to take a look at what the British government is currently doing to privacy laws and freedoms, you'll understand that the grass really isn't much greener on the other side.

You really should stop going on about our "freedoms", if you want to take a look at what the British government is currently doing to privacy laws and freedoms, you'll understand that the grass really isn't much greener on the other side.

That's why I am saying fight for your rights...

But regardless...

You are probably a citizen of the UK right? You have far more rights than I do... so they are trying to shut down torrents? Or they might block a few websites??? All of which shouldn't be done, but you are still light years away from what goes on in non-western countries.

P.S. If England made it illegal to learn about hacking / visit Hak5, would you come anyways? :)

That's why I am saying fight for your rights...

But regardless...

You are probably a citizen of the UK right? You have far more rights than I do... so they are trying to shut down torrents? Or they might block a few websites??? All of which shouldn't be done, but you are still light years away from what goes on in non-western countries.

P.S. If England made it illegal to learn about hacking / visit Hak5, would you come anyways? :)

Actually it is more like having a database storing all e-mails, phonecalls, text messages, social networking website information, browsing habits, physical movements, etc. Whether it is possibly or not is another question, but there has been a lot of information recently on how they are trying.

You can't protest in front of the house of government without prior written permission and your not even allowed to take photographs of the authorities now. You have to have proof of identity when purchasing a new mobile phone even on a payg system, sounds like a real utopia to me.

Few questions.

1, where do you live?

2, what ISP are you on that uses a squid proxy to allow its users online? Most squid use I have seen has been on the corporate networks, so if you are at work or public internet cafe of some sort, yeah, they probably will filter stuff.

3, If they block everything like you say, how did they allow this site to get through? Its a hacking site,. Wouldn't this be blocked, and if not, wouldn't they be monitoring your visit here?

I am an American but do not live in the USA

You seem to have a bit of an accent that does not seem 100% American though. You speak to proper and almost like you learned English in a language class, and not by the slang or relaxed talk of most people we come across. Your grammar is just off a bit, like that of someone who does not speak english(American english) as a first language.

Your here asking how to hack your ISP's proxy, which means you really don't care about the consequences, meaning, you could probably google for such answers if you are "an ethical, intermediately skilled computer guy" as you put it. I think if you really want to learn something and they didn't block you from getting here, then there probably isn't a site you can't get to. If TOR works on the squid, then they obviously aren't blockign everything, and you could easily use it to find a way around the proxy, via searching another site to learn how to bypass the thing. Im sure there are ways to do what you want, but not sure exactly why you openly ask to do things that you seem to express aren't allowed wharever it is that you are.

Lets say for example, you are American, and you are in a foreign country in the east. I'm sure the laws there are different, and in some cases, severe compared to here. Just a word of advice, if you are on the level, you probably don't want to be doing those things without a way to shield against the repercussions.

Do they allow you to have yoru own website? If so, why can't you just tunnel through your own sites shell? Proxy or not, if you can access port 80 and 443, change the default port for ssh on a website to run over 443 and you are all set to go. How you accomplish that is up to you, but somethign about your whole thread doesn't sound right.

Any mods check his IP. What part of the world does he connect from? Is he telling the truth?

Few questions.

1, where do you live?

2, what ISP are you on that uses a squid proxy to allow its users online? Most squid use I have seen has been on the corporate networks, so if you are at work or public internet cafe of some sort, yeah, they probably will filter stuff.

3, If they block everything like you say, how did they allow this site to get through? Its a hacking site,. Wouldn't this be blocked, and if not, wouldn't they be monitoring your visit here?

First of all, I would hope that the moderators would respect my privacy and not share my IP with the general public. I don't care if the hak5 crew knows my IP, it's being exposed to the general public that I wouldn't appreciate. Some of my posts I intentionally use Tor for.

Also, it appears that you didn't read my posts very carefully. That's ok. Just read the first one and I think you'll get the main gist. It's not the filtering on port 80 that is really so much of a problem...

You seem to have a bit of an accent that does not seem 100% American though. You speak to proper and almost like you learned English in a language class, and not by the slang or relaxed talk of most people we come across. Your grammar is just off a bit, like that of someone who does not speak english(American english) as a first language.

I can only smile at this. I am a linguist by trade. I am definitely from the USA. In fact, if you have heard much international or even British / Australian English, it would be instantly clear that I use native, American English constructions. I try to always write things as correctly as possible. I, of course, make mistakes as well but do my best to use a spell checker. You are definitely a native English speaker. How do I know? Because you make mistakes typical of native speakers. Just so you know, accents are in spoken English, not written.

You speak to proper

Your here asking how to hack your ISP's proxy

I am not trying to hack anyone's computers...

Lets say for example, you are American, and you are in a foreign country in the east. I'm sure the laws there are different, and in some cases, severe compared to here. Just a word of advice, if you are on the level, you probably don't want to be doing those things without a way to shield against the repercussions.

I know very well how the system works here... If I thought it was an issue or I might even get a slap on the wrist, do you think I would do it?

Do they allow you to have yoru own website? If so, why can't you just tunnel through your own sites shell? Proxy or not, if you can access port 80 and 443, change the default port for ssh on a website to run over 443 and you are all set to go. How you accomplish that is up to you, but somethign about your whole thread doesn't sound right.

Any mods check his IP. What part of the world does he connect from? Is he telling the truth?

If anyone can tell me of a shared hosting service that allows you to edit ports on their server and run an SSH daemon, that would be fantastic. I certainly don't know of any!! :lol:

In summary, I must say that I am surprised that everyone is of the same opinion. That's ok. I am capable of googling for paid VPNs or SSH tunnels. My desire was to find an ethical company or get a referral.

I never wanted anyone to post your IP address(or anyones for that matter), just wanted verification that it was coming from somewhere other than the general geo-location of the United States. You say you don't use TOR because it doesn't cut it for all your needs, so I was figuring you weren't using it to reach here. Either way, TOR is not secure by any means, and exit nodes have been known to be sniffed.

If you get dedicated hosting, Im sure you can have them set you up with your needs. It shouldn't be hard to get them to change the default port number, and if you aren't buying SSL certs, then the port should be open for whatever you need on 443. Thats just my thoughts, but check with the hosting company before shelling out any cash.

And yeah, I make common grammar and spelling mistakes like your and you're, to and too, when I have been up over 24 hours straight. Its now about 33 hours or so without sleep, and I am too lazy to proof read and spell check at this point. :) But I have to disagree, while accents when spoken are easy to physically hear and decipher, they can often be derived by the way in which someone writes as well. Its like applying phonetic transcription to the way in which someone types, you can almost hear how they speak in some instances. There are plenty of people who come here from other countries asking questions and you can often tell that by the way in which they write, the words chosen and phrasing they use are not their native language. Not always, but sometimes more obvious than you think. I'm not saying I'm correct in your case, just that it seemed to me like your words were chosen carefully if not taken out of something like a google translator for certain parts. Like when you say "I ask for help." instead of "I am asking for your help." or "Can anyone help me with this?", the way in which you phrased it just seemed weird to me and like that of a foreigner, or someone who doesn't speak english as their fisrt language. Just my opinion.

:) I guess Obama has rubbed off on me with his, "I say to you" expressions and more formal English. Haha. I've been gone from home for awhile. It's not been an easy transition from going from America to here... that's for sure. Anyway, if they want to confirm that my IP is in another country that's cool. I don't think they care though. One other indicator could be, look at the times of my post. :) I must have gotten up awful early to start this topic and write this message. :)

helpme0k,

I can feel your pain :( I have worked in a number of location all over the world and I know that different country's have very different views on what can and can not be viewed, big time in the middle east and even more so in the far east ;)

From the sound of it you are in one of those locations, in which case from my experience you will not have much luck even if you can find the service you are after that work's :(. The reason I say this is for me even my SSL (443) was being broken and M-In-M proxy'ed.

The way I got around it was to use sat links. I know this may not be feasible depending on the country/location but this would give you a dedicated link.

Anyway hope this helps.

helpme0k,

I can feel your pain :( I have worked in a number of location all over the world and I know that different country's have very different views on what can and can not be viewed, big time in the middle east and even more so in the far east ;)

From the sound of it you are in one of those locations, in which case from my experience you will not have much luck even if you can find the service you are after that work's :(. The reason I say this is for me even my SSL (443) was being broken and M-In-M proxy'ed.

The way I got around it was to use sat links. I know this may not be feasible depending on the country/location but this would give you a dedicated link.

Anyway hope this helps.

Thanks LauBen... I'll just look into that. I have the option of getting 3G it isn't unlimited and it's expensive. I'll look into the satellite thing too.