Remote Installs...

ZeR0BuG

I use windows server 2003 with active directory... And what I need to know is how I can remotely install software with out having to physically be at the computers. I know there is a way, but I can't seem to find it. Any one have any suggestions?

Firstly the softare needs to be in .msi format, i can't be a .exe. So you will have to change all the software that you want to use over to .msi which can be a real pain.

Then you need to use the Group Policy Object (GPO), you need to go into the policy group -> user configuration -> software settings -> software installtion. Its listed under users and computer. Then you can add the program there to be installed.

I think thats how its done.

alright, ill try that.. thx

how i convert to .msi from exe?

There are a few bits of info here:

http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/msi/authoring.htm

Here:

http://users.cyberone.com.au/dbareis/makemsi.htm

And here:

http://www.dalun.com/wix/wix.htm

Some programs are a little more diffuclt to distribute than just dropping the msi into a group policy object... They need 'answer files'... I'm considering doing a tutorial on remote installation etc. So if there is the demand for it...

If there's no msi for the application you may still be lucky... if the application uses no registry values or files outside of it's program directory, you can run a script from the server to 'push' the program's files onto the c$ share of the workstations. I've done it a bunch of times with older bits of software across entire networks... Works great.

I had an idea a while ago for a sort of 'sandbox' system that you could install an application to, and the sandbox would record all files that were installed, registry settings that were changed etc, and create a script to push the application out to workstations.

Then you need to use the Group Policy Object (GPO), you need to go into the policy group -> user configuration -> software settings -> software installtion. Its listed under users and computer. Then you can add the program there to be installed.

that didnt work... i reboot and it comes up with Installing "File Name" andthen it goes to CTRL ALT DELETE to begin, and i login and then it doesnt show that its installed.

that didnt work... i reboot and it comes up with Installing "File Name" andthen it goes to CTRL ALT DELETE to begin, and i login and then it doesnt show that its installed.

Sounds like it's not one of the nice MSIs :P

What piece of software is it? It may need a few settings changed or an answer file :)