Free SSH tunneling?

pritchard9

I would like to use SSH tunneling, mainly because I'm sick of my schools filtering, but also for general security, however I dont want to have to leave my home computer on all the time.

I've seen a few websites offering "free" UNIX shell accounts on servers. But so far, I havent been able to find one that is actually free, and doesnt require donations.

Does anyone know of such a website? Or is there an alternative solution to my problem?

I was hoping to use PuTTY portable and portable Firefox.

Thanks in advance.

(I know theres a recent thread similar to this, but I didnt want to thread-jack..)

Get a DynDNS address(they are free) point it to your home box, open the firwall and port forward on the router port 22, install OpenSSh(If windows) or run linux and tunnel through your home machine. And its all free.

Get a WRT54G or other embedded device and run the server there.

Thats great if you want to spend the money for a new router, but if looking for completely "free" alternative as he stated, just use what you already have. Unless of course your current router can be flashed, then your already half way there.

doesnt that require leaving my home machine on all the time? I was hoping that wouldnt be neccesary.

Well, you would need your machine on if you were using it to tunnel through. Alternative is saving up some money and buying your own domain that offers shell acocunts, like DreamHost does. If VaKo is handing out freebies though, by all means, go for it. I use my DreamHost site for ssh tunneling, but again, not free.

What I meant was this would be a good point for a bunch of like minded people to group together and work out how to build and run a service that provides shell accounts for community members. This isn't the first time people have asked, and I know that I've needed one in the past. Normally I just google for "free shell account", but it would be a nice for the community if we could provide stuff like this ourselves.

What I meant was this would be a good point for a bunch of like minded people to group together and work out how to build and run a service that provides shell accounts for community members. This isn't the first time people have asked, and I know that I've needed one in the past. Normally I just google for "free shell account", but it would be a nice for the community if we could provide stuff like this ourselves.

Wow, that sounds pretty damn aweseom VaKo.

Id sure as hell donate money for that project :)

phonessh_1.jpg

quizimg.png

use your cell phone. also i have a few megashell accounts with xizbition. i wouldnt mind sharing one or two logins with some of you that are hak5 regulars. just dont do shady shit and get the whole megashell account locked out.