Can't telnet into Fon after reset

Warezjoe

I need a Fon Guru!

I've updated my new out of the box Fon Spot with the Kamikaze 8.09 (Atheros).

The whole flashing process goes perfectly.

Once the flashing is done and I complete the fconfig I'm resetting the Fon with "reset"

The device comes back up without a problem but i can not telnet to 192.168.1.1.

I can ping it and it responds, but no telnet or SSH.

Anyone run into this problem? More importantly anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

WJ

How long can you ping it for? If it is a few seconds when it first boots then your ping replies are coming from the redboot.

nmap it and see what ports are open. If nothing is open and the ping only works for a few seconds then I'd guess you made a mistake in the fconfig settings so that the firmware isn't actually getting loaded.

Thanks for the help!

I can ping it tine the cows come home. I let it run for 5 mins.

port scan shows not ports open.

The redboot.pl that I found had problems running under Unbuntu so I used Windows and activestate.

Is it possible I'm using a bad version of redboot.pl. I mean it works and drops me to the redboot shell.

There doesn't seem to be any issues going through the steps.

I've redone the entire flashing process 3 times now. and each time It comes back with ping response but no telnet or ssh access.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

The redboot.pl that I found had problems running under Unbuntu so I used Windows and activestate.

Is it possible I'm using a bad version of redboot.pl. I mean it works and drops me to the redboot shell.

I've redone the entire flashing process 3 times now. and each time It comes back with ping response but no telnet or ssh access.

Thoughts?

Does it have some custom IP address in the script, and you are trying to login ot the wrong IP? Ive never done one of these, but do you use a cross over cable to do the flashing? And if so, wouldnt you need to swap out that cable to then telent in. Im just curious the setup process and what steps are required. Again, I never tried because I don't own a fon. Post the pl script. Maybe that will shed some light on the problem.

Thanks for the help!

Thoughts?

If redboot.pl gets you a shell then it is working. All the script does is an arping till it gets a response then telnets to the device and sends a control-c to get the shell. Once you are in the shell it is over to you. The reason it probably doesn't work under Unbuntu is you've probably not got arping installed.

A few things to try, turn the device off and try the ping again, if you still get replies then you've got an IP address conflict. Try a different NIC/network cable. I've got a USB NIC that I can use for flashing but for some reason it then refuses to talk to the device once it has booted into openwrt.

Try running nmap against the IP, use something like

nmap -sT -O <ip>

and post back what it says.

If redboot.pl gets you a shell then it is working. All the script does is an arping till it gets a response then telnets to the device and sends a control-c to get the shell. Once you are in the shell it is over to you. The reason it probably doesn't work under Unbuntu is you've probably not got arping installed.

A few things to try, turn the device off and try the ping again, if you still get replies then you've got an IP address conflict. Try a different NIC/network cable. I've got a USB NIC that I can use for flashing but for some reason it then refuses to talk to the device once it has booted into openwrt.

Try running nmap against the IP, use something like

nmap -sT -O <ip>

and post back what it says.

I'm up and running! Thank you for all the help! Openvpn keys were a bit of a bitch, but it worked out.

I notice that I can no longer ssh into 192.168.1.1. Is that normal?

The next obvious question? Can I blow another firmware down at a later date without having to build a serial cable?

Once again, Thanks for the help!

I notice that I can no longer ssh into 192.168.1.1. Is that normal?

Yes, it removes itself from the wired network so it doesn't interfere with any passing traffic. Telnet in on either the 10. or the 172 address

The next obvious question? Can I blow another firmware down at a later date without having to build a serial cable?

Once again, Thanks for the help!

Yes, the firmware is loaded through redboot and you should always have access to redboot.