Dell Studio 17 Help

Lyzon

Sup ppl, well i want to order this laptop tonight:

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/c...73504&s=dhs

I was wondering, can the built in HDMI port recieve input? or is it just capable of sending output. In other words is there a program i could use to hook up my PS3 to the laptop and record some game videos? or would i have to by a dedicated box of some sort.

Please help :)

Im sure those games dont allow you to record the menus tho :)

The game i want to record is motorstorm because im making a walkthrough website for it and need to record some vids. Any ideas if its possible with the studio 17 hdmi port?

Get a TV card with S-Video in and connect up the PS3 that way. It'll be the cheapest solution and good enough quality for youtube. Unless dells web sites says it is a HDMI input is isn't.

You can get HDMI input cards however they don't support HDCP. I don't you if the PS3 uses HDCP on games, that will be one thing to look in to.

I tried askin dell support via live chat... no luck. They are not the most technically knowledgable ppl out there..

I dont really want to spend more on a tv tuner card if i cant record hidef. Is there any custom firmware that would allow it to take input aswell?

I tried askin dell support via live chat... no luck. They are not the most technically knowledgable ppl out there..

I dont really want to spend more on a tv tuner card if i cant record hidef. Is there any custom firmware that would allow it to take input aswell?

software can't change hardware.

Currently the only way to recored HDCP content over HDMI is with the Gefen DVR/PVR. Nevermind, the company found out the loop hole that allowed protected content to be removed. So there is no viable way to recored HDCP over HDMI (as of now).

Another way to get HI definition recordings is with component cables, Get a Component cable tuner card. Also some PS3 Component cables.

Your best and most cost effective option has already been stated by Sparda Using a standard s-video tuner card. It wont be in HD but your doing game walk through, not PS3 vs 360 Graphic comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get the laptop? I took mine apart today and found a few things out about it. I removed the battery and noticed a slot for a sim card, im going to look if its a modem inside or just a backup thing. Also i snaped a little plastic off it but the parts are cheep from ebay