3CX + Magic Jack

5ive

After a lot of tinkering and googling I managed to get 3 magic jacks working as a SIP trunks with 3CX.

If any of you have played around with a magic jack you have seen all of the limitations. You can only use one per computer, you can't use it without the jack plugged in 24/7, you have to deal with annoying adds on the softphone software, you can't bypass their crappy VM etc etc. Well this solves all of those issues, I am now using 3 magic jack accounts without a single magic jack plugged in and better yet I am running them all inside of a single windows XP VM.

Keep in mind that doing this is against the magic jack TOS.

What you need:

Utility for ripping your SIP credentials from the Magic Jack device:

http://rapidshare.com/files/181629789/Magi...lities_v1.6.zip

3CX v6.x (it does not work with the most current v7.x from the 3cx website! Thankfully download.com is still hosting the older version)

http://download.cnet.com/3CX-Phone-System/....html?tag=mncol

Install 3CX and setup your extensions, if you don't have any IP phones you can use the 3CX softphone or x-lite. I am not going to go over this as it was shown on hak5's podcast, or you can find this information anywhere.

(I am using 3 used Cisco 7940's that I found on ebay for 65 each)

Now, plug the magic jack into a windows computer and run the utility you downloaded. Hit Get Current SIP Information, if it does not work right away, don't sweat it mine didn't either. Play with the StartDelay field and keep trying. Apparently there is a very small window in which it can capture the information, and the correct timing varies depending on the speed of your computer. Also make sure the MJFlashDreiveLetter field is set correctly. Once you get a successful capture, it will generate a text file called "MySIPInfo.txt" You will need the information from this file in the next step.

Run the 3CX manager and select Add VOIP, choose Generic VOIP Provider

Registar/Proxy Hostname = the proxy IP address from the file, (digits not hostname)

Registar Proxy Port = 5060

Outbound Proxy Hostname or IP = proxy hostname from file (ie proxy01.xxxxx.talk4free.com)

Outbound Proxy Port = 5070

Click Next

External Number = MJ phone #

Authentication ID = E##########01 (########## = your MJ phone #)

Authentication Password = 20 character password, its called ProxyUserPassword in the generated file

Use the default stun server settings

Add your outbound rule, under "calls to number starting with" pick a number, when you dial out, you will have to hit this number first. Most people use 9.

Hit ok, your done! You now have a 20/year unlimited minute SIP trunk for your PBX!

It works for incoming as well. Yes it is unlimited calling in/out for 20/year per number, (usa only, international has per min rates posted on magic jacks website) each number can have 1 simultaneous call. I am using 3 magic jack accounts, so for 60/year I have 3 phone numbers and can have 3 simultaneous calls.

The reason magic jack is so cheap is because it's an advertisement supported platform (think juno/netzero dial up back in the day) You are suppose to be tied down to their softphone software, by design you are not suppose to be able to send or receive any calls without having this software running and it displays a bunch of annoying advertisements. This is why it is against the TOS to do this. However they are using a standard SIP voip protocol and you can sniff out the authentication user/pw along with the proxy they are using with the software utility I linked to, otherwise you could also probably figure it out with something like wireshark. Then you can take that information and use the 3CX PBX software in place of the magic jack software. So you not only dodge the annoying software and all of the advertisements, but you are also able to bypass their voicemail (another thing they don't want you to do) and get all of the PBX features that come with using 3CX. Also note that this completely eliminates the need for the USB device, which is basically just a USB stick that stores the software, and acts as an FXO card if you want to plug an analog phone in. This means that you can use as many magic jack accounts as you want with a single PBX server, where as with the software tied to the physical device, it limits you to one magic jack line per computer. Also once you have it working with 3CX you can then use any phones or other hardware that you want, as long as its supported by 3CX.

You can use it anywhere in the world however you can only get USA phone numbers and proxy's from them. I checked the site and calling Canada is also covered, all US/Canada calls are covered in the 20/year - every other country costs extra to call. So you could get it but anyone in Canada who wants to call you has to call a USA phone number...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been thinking about going with the ooma box. One time fee for the cost of the box, never have another phone bill after that(so long as you don't go over the 3,000 or whatever it is minutes per month and only make calls to the US and Canada).

http://www.ooma.com/

Does anyone here have it? I was wondering how the service is and if its truly worth the money.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=9940

3cx 7.x should work with the magicjack. There is a registration issue connecting; looking at log files from a server it will not register to the sip server for inbound communications due to an incorrect User Agent. I imagine the way around this is to capture the User Agent from the Magic Jack and add it to Outbound Parameters as a Custom User Agent text string. It should now register to the sip server.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the reply.

The link was for the 3CX VoIP Client v6 & not for 3CX Phone System v6.

However, I tried to configure the settings in it, but did not find the settings for following fields to set values : ...

Registar/Proxy Hostname = the proxy IP address from the file, (digits not hostname)

Outbound Proxy Hostname or IP = proxy hostname from file (ie proxy01.xxxxx.talk4free.com)

Please refer the screenshot enclosed. I've highlighted the fields I've entered.

How do I go about on this ? or Do I Specifically need a 3CX Phone System v6 s/w ?

post-14149-1243205143_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

5ive,

Can you send your settings for:

-- Registration settings

-- Codec priorities

-- Provider capabilities

-- Location of destination number

-- Source identification

-- DID numbers

-- Gateway/Provider outbond parameters

-- Gateway/Provider inbound parameters

-- Other options

Btw, I am using version 6.1.0

Thanks.

Jbel

• 4 weeks later...
After a lot of tinkering and googling I managed to get 3 magic jacks working as a SIP trunks with 3CX.

If any of you have played around with a magic jack you have seen all of the limitations. You can only use one per computer, you can't use it without the jack plugged in 24/7, you have to deal with annoying adds on the softphone software, you can't bypass their crappy VM etc etc. Well this solves all of those issues, I am now using 3 magic jack accounts without a single magic jack plugged in and better yet I am running them all inside of a single windows XP VM.

Keep in mind that doing this is against the magic jack TOS.

What you need:

Utility for ripping your SIP credentials from the Magic Jack device:

http://rapidshare.com/files/181629789/Magi...lities_v1.6.zip

3CX v6.x (it does not work with the most current v7.x from the 3cx website! Thankfully download.com is still hosting the older version)

http://download.cnet.com/3CX-Phone-System/....html?tag=mncol

Install 3CX and setup your extensions, if you don't have any IP phones you can use the 3CX softphone or x-lite. I am not going to go over this as it was shown on hak5's podcast, or you can find this information anywhere.

(I am using 3 used Cisco 7940's that I found on ebay for 65 each)

Now, plug the magic jack into a windows computer and run the utility you downloaded. Hit Get Current SIP Information, if it does not work right away, don't sweat it mine didn't either. Play with the StartDelay field and keep trying. Apparently there is a very small window in which it can capture the information, and the correct timing varies depending on the speed of your computer. Also make sure the MJFlashDreiveLetter field is set correctly. Once you get a successful capture, it will generate a text file called "MySIPInfo.txt" You will need the information from this file in the next step.

Run the 3CX manager and select Add VOIP, choose Generic VOIP Provider

Click Next

External Number = MJ phone #

Authentication ID = E##########01 (########## = your MJ phone #)

Authentication Password = 20 character password, its called ProxyUserPassword in the generated file

Use the default stun server settings

Add your outbound rule, under "calls to number starting with" pick a number, when you dial out, you will have to hit this number first. Most people use 9.

Hit ok, your done! You now have a 20/year unlimited minute SIP trunk for your PBX!

I am trying to add MagicJAck to my 3cx. I am running a current version because I can not find an older. I input all the data, as well as added the custom user agent field data. But I can not register. The server log shows this:

19:04:23.568 [CM504005]: Registration failed for: 10003@MagicJack; Cause: 401 Unauthorized; from IP:216.234.67.8:5070

Any help?

• 2 weeks later...

Nice post...I did a "personal" review a while back and think it would help other thinking of getting it.

If you are looking for a cheap voip landline and you already have a cable internet connection you might want to try the magic jack! The magicjack is cheap way to get free calling through out the us and internationally using your cable connection.

Setup: Although the company says you can use your personal pc for the best results you need to use a separate PC or a thin client. I don't recommend using your personal computer at all. It's best to build a low cost PC or do what I did...found one someone threw away. Now days you can pick up a cheap PC off craigslist for $50.

Requirements:

1: 1 pc with Windows XP

2: 1 cable internet connection

3: Cost $20/year for the device

4: one time fee of $20 for the MagicJack device

5: one landline phone

6: 256 mb of ram

Pros:

1: free calls anywhere in the us

2: international call for pennies a minute

3: call waiting

4: voice mail

5: call forwarding to your cell phone

6: easy setup

7: Caller ID

8: $20 a year for service/$59 for 5 years

9: state phone numbers

Cons:

1: Some calls are choppy requiring you to call them back to clear the line

2: Some calls just get dropped requiring you to call back

3: Having to find additional equipment

4: Having a PC on 24 hr a day

5: electricity costs for running pc

6: technical support from company

7: reliability

8: Call Waiting - No info on caller calling or there number - you just here the beeping

Other issues:

1: When the callers battery is low(issues)

2: Some Cisco phone systems for corporate offices

Summary: One thing worth mentioning is if you are not technically savvy, you should not attempt such a project. Magicjacks online support is below par. Personally, I've never needed to call them but a lot of others have. It's true you get what you pay for, but if you can withstand the occasional dropped call or fuzzy connection it is worth the $20 dollars you spend for the service a year. I found a 1.2 Duron AMD on the berm during spring clean up week here in my home town and this is sufficient to run the connection. It has 512 mb of memory and almost all the services have been turned off on the pc. It is only used to servicing the voip phone connection. I use a Vtech 5.7 ghz cordless phone bought at Walmart for $19. I don't pay for electricity in my apt. so that is one advantage for me. I got rid of my $50 a month Verizon cell phone contract and saved $580/year using the magicjack . All in all, I am pretty happy with the product after nearly one year of using it!

• 1 month later...

I have been getting PM's from people who are using 3cx 7.x and can not get it to work. I can not help you get v7 working, I have only been successful to get it to work on 3cx v6 as I posted in the original post. When I made the post download.com was still hosting v6 but it appears they only have 7.1 now along with everyone else. I did a quick google search and I do not have a good source for v6. If anyone has the setup file or knows where to get it please let me know. I have it installed but did not keep the setup file.