Bricked my fon and llaptop all in one shot

I am sure that I did something wrong, but couldn't tell you what as I did not have 5 uninterrupted minutes to work on my fon. So I set out to flash my fon, using my fiances Vista machine seeing how I don't have a windows machine to use or test with. I went through all of the steps and got nothing. Once I finally (after several hours) got the wired connection to connect to the laptop I got some crazy IP of 169.254.217.177 as the preferred IP with no gateway listed. So now I am stuck with a fon that I cannot get into to reset or do anything with, and on top of it all somehow the HDD on the laptop got bricked as well. Luckily I was able to force mount the HDD in Ubuntu to recover her data and reinstall windows, but I am still stuck with a useless fon. Any suggestions from anyone on how I can recover my fon, or is it now just a pretty little paper weight.?

If you have a IP address of 169.254.x.x it means you are not actually connected. This is an IP address you get if your computer did not receive an address from dhcp. I would suggest trying to set you IP address manually and then see if you can connect to the fon.

If you have a IP address of 169.254.x.x it means you are not actually connected. This is an IP address you get if your computer did not receive an address from dhcp. I would suggest trying to set you IP address manually and then see if you can connect to the fon.

Nothing will have happened to your laptop for sure. You may need to reflash your router if it did not work after setting a static and trying to reach it. If that is the case you will need to flash it with another computer.

This sounds like your first attempt at something like this so I'd suggest going with static IPs all through, the 169 address you get is the address dhcp falls back on when it doesn't get an answer.

Put your computer on 192.168.1.6 and then try to ping 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.254 hopefully one of those will respond.

the serial cable didn't do me any good, i made it from phone cable as per http://www.digininja.org/fon_seriatl/. (no offense digininja you totally rock) with the cable red boot was in read only mode. connecting fon to the router did not help.

so here is what you can do

1) In your computer set your ip as

2) Plug your Fon via Ethernet cable directly to your computer

3) Copy your putty.exe to c:\

4) On your c:\ create a txt file with the following text in it

rem echo off

:start

rem ------------------------------------------------

ping 192.168.1.254 -n 1 -w 1 > NULL

IF ERRORLEVEL 1 goto start

rem putty

rem ------------------------------------------------

break

putty.exe telnet://192.168.1.254:9000 -m redboot.txt

exit

5) Rename the above mentioned txt file to redboot.bat

6) On your c:\ create txt file and name it as redboot.txt with the following content in it:

^C

7) Start the bat file and power on the router.....here comes redboot

the following steps are optional

once you'll access redboot use the following tutorial to unbrick

http://www.h-i-r.net/2008/10/la-fonera-lab...king-howto.html

for this tutorial you will need to download tftpd32

Step 3 in the tutorial "ip_address -l 192.168.1.254 -h 192.168.1.2" change it to "ip_address -l 192.168.1.254 -h 192.168.1.166"

also make sure that your tftpd server pointing to the directory where you keep your jasager files.

it worked for me,

If you get read only mode you are missing the ground pin. Check you got it connected to the right places.

My first cable didn't have a ground and it didn't work but then after some reading a found a forum thread which seemed to be the one everyone came to after making a readonly cable. It said that without the ground you only get reads.