NAS and mythtv backend hardware recommendations

android6011

I want to build a NAS and mythtv backend only machine. I have a case that will hold plenty of hard drives and all that. As far as motherboard and processor and networking is concerned, I'm looking to go relatively cheap on this but have a good enough performance to have fast transfer speeds and stream HD quality vids from the mythbackend.

So manly my questions are:

What type of processor would handle this?

What should I look for in a motherboard?

What should I look for in a networking card? I assume I should go wired with all of this

As of now I have a Hauppauge 1800hvr for the tuner card, and am looking at 2 x 1TB hard drives.

(I figured it would be best to go with a raid setup, because I plan to have almost everything of value on the hard drive and would hate for it to fail and lose it all, do you think thats best?)

Also, if at all possible, I might eventually this is a hardware firewall for all my home network, but thats for down the road.

If you have the time, I might suggest listening to the February episodes of the Linux Link Tech Show podcast. They did a month of MythTV. A ton of useful information.

I want to build a NAS and mythtv backend only machine. I have a case that will hold plenty of hard drives and all that. As far as motherboard and processor and networking is concerned, I'm looking to go relatively cheap on this but have a good enough performance to have fast transfer speeds and stream HD quality vids from the mythbackend.

I didn't know anyone listened to that show here... I used to listen to it but trailed off about 6 months ago, now im gonna have to go back and at least listen to the feb episodes,

if not the entire last 6 months. :)