BEWARE new version of conficker worm ready to strike on april 1st

ssmithisme

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck the conficker, I hope that sorry ass team gets their ass pulled from their mouths

a quarter-million-dollar bounty on the head of the writer of the worm, offered by Microsoft

Where's my gun and my awesome sauce? Im gonna go russle me up an asshole programmer.

Also.. Where's my ubuntu cd @?

Fuck the conficker, I hope that sorry ass team gets their ass pulled from their mouths

Where's my gun and my awesome sauce? Im gonna go russle me up an asshole programmer.

Also.. Where's my ubuntu cd @?

didn't find your ubuntu cd?

me? it's already got my ubuntu cd also to update my pc and some security apps

Microsoft Collaborates With Industry to Disrupt Conficker Worm

Microsoft offers $250,000 reward for Conficker arrest and conviction.

REDMOND, Wash. — Feb. 12, 2009 — Today, Microsoft Corp. announced a partnership with technology industry leaders and academia to implement a coordinated, global response to the Conficker (aka Downadup) worm. Together with security researchers, Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) and operators within the Domain Name System, Microsoft coordinated a response designed to disable domains targeted by Conficker. Microsoft also announced a $250,000 reward for information that results in the arrest and conviction of those responsible for illegally launching the Conficker malicious code on the Internet.

“As part of Microsoft’s ongoing security efforts, we constantly look for ways to use a diverse set of tools and develop methodologies to protect our customers,” said George Stathakopoulos, general manager of the Trustworthy Computing Group at Microsoft. “By combining our expertise with that of the broader community we can expand the boundaries of defense to better protect people worldwide.”

As cyberthreats have rapidly evolved, a greater level of industry coordination and new tactics for communication and threat mitigation are required. To optimize the multiple initiatives being employed across the security industry and within academia, Microsoft helped unify these broad efforts to implement a community-based defense to disrupt the spread of Conficker.

Along with Microsoft, organizations involved in this collaborative effort include ICANN, NeuStar, VeriSign, CNNIC, Afilias, Public Internet Registry, Global Domains International Inc., M1D Global, AOL, Symantec, F-Secure, ISC, researchers from Georgia Tech, the Shadowserver Foundation, Arbor Networks and Support Intelligence.

“The best way to defeat potential botnets like Conficker/Downadup is by the security and Domain Name System communities working together,” said Greg Rattray, chief Internet security advisor at ICANN. “ICANN represents a community that’s all about coordinating those kinds of efforts to keep the Internet globally secure and stable.”

“Microsoft’s approach combines technology innovation and effective cross-sector partnerships to help protect people from cybercriminals,” Stathakopoulos said. “We hope these efforts help to contain the threat posed by Conficker, as well as hold those who illegally launch malware accountable.”

More information about how to protect yourself from Conficker can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/conficker. Customers interested in learning more about staying safe online can visit http://www.microsoft.com/protect.

Microsoft’s reward offer stems from the company’s recognition that the Conficker worm is a criminal attack. Microsoft wants to help the authorities catch the criminals responsible for it. Residents of any country are eligible for the reward, according to the laws of that country, because Internet viruses affect the Internet community worldwide. Individuals with information about the Conficker worm should contact their international law enforcement agencies.

Sources:

http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2...onfickerPR.mspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/dd452420.aspx

EDIT: pls ask other users included hak.5 hosts and crew to discuss this nonsense conflicker

I am not saying this is true (I didn't read the article because it would take forever with my phone)but is it possible it's just a whole thing started by microsoft to get publicity and people to update? I am not saying this is what I believe, but I am just wondering if anyone has thought of this?

cheers,

Destro

lol $250,000 is like pissing into the ocean!

Still I am curious as to what the payload of the new conficker varient is, I guess we shall all have to wait and see.

Imagine if it started DoSing the 9 big DNS registries like some prat tried to do a while back.

hmm.. im curious too. what was that vm resource viewer matt talked about on a previous show? i might just fireup an unpatched version of xp on june first and surf some not too great websites to see what happens.

Yes it is coming april 1st, it is not an april fools joke. Also just use windows update and your fine for THIS version of conficker (might not work on next one (april 1st)). Also conficker only effects windows FYI. Also yes the programs are assholes but update windows and don't use a pirated windows (so you can update) you will be fine. Also the actually virus is pretty interesting.

At the place I worked we had 4 infections in over 500 systems in EMEA. In the US they had a few hundred systems infected. Why the difference? In EMEA we had an aggressive policy towards updates and anti-virus deployment.

Apprently from what I have been reading there are several different scenarios, but one of them is that one version of Conficker lays dormant until April 1st. As in, its already on your system but you may not even know it. And depending on the variant, nothing detects it. Now, they may have heuristics that check for know variants, but whats to say there isn't something waiting in the wings to do its bidding on April 1st. April 1st being April Fools Day just seems kind of funny to begin with.

Oh here we go the f*#kin' mac again! lol j/k...

Actually I will have to say that the mac people when reading this just go eh.. wonder what's on tv..

But then there is always linux for us ibm compatible folk.

Still though, I read some infrastructure about the malware and it is quite interesting. Dunno if any of you have but I know I have thought before (just for the point of doing it) though to yourself "now if I could write a virus how would I go about it?" Im sure alot of you could. I for one cannot (I hate programming....)

All I got to say is if I boot into vista on April 1st and my computer comes on with a dancing elmo singing the elmo song... im gonna cry..

Oh here we go the f*#kin' mac again! lol j/k...

Actually I will have to say that the mac people when reading this just go eh.. wonder what's on tv..

But then there is always linux for us ibm compatible folk.

Still though, I read some infrastructure about the malware and it is quite interesting. Dunno if any of you have but I know I have thought before (just for the point of doing it) though to yourself "now if I could write a virus how would I go about it?" Im sure alot of you could. I for one cannot (I hate programming....)

All I got to say is if I boot into vista on April 1st and my computer comes on with a dancing elmo singing the elmo song... im gonna cry..

Lol. Once I read only for windows, I wiped the swet away from my forehead and said I could go for a beer (I am not old enough so a coke, but beer sounds better so I say it) and some t.v.

Malware depends on what you want to do and how vicious you want to be.

Even worse the whole sesame street is coming and they had children. Haha. Elmo's kid had to go to rehab so be careful around him

Will a standard anti-virus soft like Norton, AVG, Avira, etc. detect this trojan? April 1st pranks is one thing, but getting your identity stolen and calling it a "prank" in another.

I think most of them will. Microsoft has teamed up with major security companies and is also offering a free removal tool: http://is.gd/pJin

Other Updates and information is available here:

http://is.gd/kItv

http://is.gd/p8Pp

http://news.cnet.com/faq-conficker-time-bo...g=2547-1_3-0-20

Also install a good antispyware like SAS: http://is.gd/87wE