Does somones age affect your perspective on them?

Destro

What do you think?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Please pick and share your thoughts

• Yes
    • No

So a new friend of mine told me I should change my age on the introduce yourself subject because it changes peoples perspective on you. I think this isn't true because you can't judge somone until you know them. Don't judge a book by the cover. So what do think?

cheers,

Destro

Age affects our perception whether we want it to or not. Same with sex, race etc. It can't be helped as it's human nature. The thing is to give that person the chance to show how they really are.

Age affects our perception whether we want it to or not.

EDIT: To prove a point, Darren has been lying about his age since starting the show. He's only recently come clean (since his actual age is now the age he lied). He did this so people would take him srsly.

Age affects our perception whether we want it to or not. Same with sex, race etc. It can't be helped as it's human nature. The thing is to give that person the chance to show how they really are.

Exactly. Great answer!I think people sometimes don't give people a chance to show who they are that's the problem. Maybe darren wouldn't have to lie of people overlooked his age and really looked at his talents.

cheers,

Destro

Are we talking internet, like the forums, or in person? Because half the time, you never know how old any of the people on here are unless they post it in their profile, or tell it to you. And most of the time, my impression of their age is usually off. I found some of the more mature and knowledgable ones were often under 15, while some of the total retards ranged anywhere on the spectrum, all the way up to one guy who I think was in his 50/60's range.

In person, people make up their minds about someone often before they even speak to the person, just on appearance alone, so age usually comes into play long after you have pre-judged them. Once you get to know someone, then age might be a facter in how you view them, but for me personally, how they carry themself at any age is what I go on, and usually not their age or even appearance.

I would say age affects my perspective. Not necessarily for better or worse but just different. I will explain something to a 75 year old computer newbie different then to a 10 year old computer newbie. Even though they are at the same skill level they understand and relate to the world in very different ways. I know that age≠ability. I though for one have always looked down on people who have purpose mislead about there age I have always found it childish.

i think the age barrier is a load of crap, if you talk/act like an adult then you will get treated like one. well thats what my mother always told me and it got me far in my younger days lol

but i think in the security field if you know more than say someone that is older they might be a little unfriendly (not saying people here) but its human to feel threatened

there is my 2 cents worth :)

Thanks for all the replys again everyone.

@messsy- I like your moms saying. And it is true that it is human nature to feel threatened, but I think it would be better to look over envy and learn.

@digip- that was a great answer. It is a really good point that appearence goes along with age and judgement.

I am sorry I can't make a worthy response to all these posts but I can't type as fast on my phone and time is short.

One last thing before I go: have you ever been mistreated or looked down upon because of your age? Interpret that how you like!

cheers,

Destro

Any person who has done an apprenticeship will know what being treated like shit can be. Luckily I was mature age and was training others while I still was an apprentice. I have seen the way they get treated and some people are pathetic. I only had one guy who tried to treat me like shit and it escalated to the point where I was going to punch fuck through him.

web wise = on the internet nobody knows your a penguin aka its only an issue if you bring it up or make light of it

irl = people judge you within the first three second's of seeing you

personaly i dont judge somebody on age as ive been put to shame by younger and smarter people many times

I not so much judge as get jealous :P

For instance if some1 younger then me (noticably tho like more then a year) is more knowledgable then me in web design or programmin, i spend some time hating their guts :P then get over it and learn more about what they no to the point where i feel i better them :P

Prime example: the 15 year old who developed Muziic. I thought of many ways to kill him... then i got over it and continued to write some php :P

I thought of many ways to kill him...

:blink: Maybe you need counseling.

I not so much judge as get jealous :P

For instance if some1 younger then me (noticably tho like more then a year) is more knowledgable then me in web design or programmin, i spend some time hating their guts :P then get over it and learn more about what they no to the point where i feel i better them :P

Prime example: the 15 year old who developed Muziic. I thought of many ways to kill him... then i got over it and continued to write some php :P

Muziic is a really easy thing to program, I just would have never thought of the idea, and that's what I'm generally envious of. I seriously lack creativity ._.

Anyways, I try not to judge people based on any aspect that they can't control, but it happens.