Serial connector on Fon no good?

I did it before, and it worked fine. I used an adapter I bought to flash xbox 360 lite on drives.

now nothing shows up in hyper terminal or in various programs in linux. I tested my adapter by hooking the tx and rx together and everything i typed came back to me like it should.

Is there a way to test the serial port of the phone over ssh, similar to how I tested my adapter?

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Have you tried starting the Fon, letting it boot and then connecting the cable? Fons don't like starting when the ground is connected so this would eliminate that as being a problem.

If you ssh to the box you can echo stuff to the serial device. I can't remember exactly what it is but have a look in /dev and I'm sure you'll see something that looks appropriate.

echo "Hello" > /dev/<something>

Just checking, when you say that it worked before, do you mean on a Fon or on the xbox? I don't know what cable the xbox needs but this isn't a standard usb cable, it is a usb to serial.

Have you tried starting the Fon, letting it boot and then connecting the cable? Fons don't like starting when the ground is connected so this would eliminate that as being a problem.

If you ssh to the box you can echo stuff to the serial device. I can't remember exactly what it is but have a look in /dev and I'm sure you'll see something that looks appropriate.

echo "Hello" > /dev/<something>

Just checking, when you say that it worked before, do you mean on a Fon or on the xbox? I don't know what cable the xbox needs but this isn't a standard usb cable, it is a usb to serial.

I mean that it worked on the fon, I was able to fool around with redboot and all that.

do you mean I should wait to connect all the cables until it has booted or just the ground?

I have a "MAX232 RS232 Serial to TTL Converter Board" and a "USB 2.0 TO 9PIN RS232 COM PORT SERIAL CONVERT ADAPTER". On the MAX232 adapter, I have some JST cables soldered to the end and have different "adapters" I made, 1 for the 360, 1 for the Fon. I'll post some pics if you don't quite understand what I'm saying

If it used to work then I'll believe you that it is the right cable. My electronics knowledge is very limited so I'll trust you on that.

From what I've read it should be just ground that you need to leave off when booting but I've had some instances when the device didn't boot with just rx and tx connected. Unless I want redboot I tend to power it on and give it a few seconds then plug in the cables and hit enter a few times in the terminal.

Anyone know what the button does? I know it doesn't reset the firmware like some people think.

It would be nice to be able to capture its press and use that call a script which sets all NICs to known IP addresses and opens ssh/telnet on them all. It might be possible with the gpio stuff so may look at it if I get bored.