Debricking -- Console access via Serial

OKay ctrl-c works so it's all good, but I keep getting BSoD I think it's a drivers problem with the cable. So I am trying to install windows xp on my netbook, and it's a lot harder then win7 for some reason :| This is such a pain :(

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Well funny thing on my side, I did use the serial cable I once build for my Netgear WGT634U, as it turned out to have the same Layout Rx/Tx/Gnd follow up as my Fonera+ 2201. I did use an serial cable from an Siemens C35i (very old Mobile Phone) - and what shall I say?: Very funny thing is, I always read it doesn't boot without breaking the ground or so - I can leave that cable plugged into the fonera+ all the time - and it will go into red, it will boot OpenWrt - everything. And I don't need to plug anything up or down...

Hm I'm thinking about trying one of the blue Cisco RJ45<->Serial Cables... As we have them floating around in like tons.. I think they should have an 5V Converter also integrated into the cable... anyone can confirm that?

Greetings,

Xeno

Just wondering... Is it possible to use just a standard usb cable to connect to the serial points in the fon 2100 ? and if not can i just use a standard grey thick serial cable like an optical or hdd cable type? (non sata)

Also i forgot to introduce myself! Hey Everyone, i have watched hak5 since the 1st episode so i apologize for taking years to register on the forums...

Just wondering... Is it possible to use just a standard usb cable to connect to the serial points in the fon 2100 ? and if not can i just use a standard grey thick serial cable like an optical or hdd cable type? (non sata)

Also i forgot to introduce myself! Hey Everyone, i have watched hak5 since the 1st episode so i apologize for taking years to register on the forums...

Um don't really know what you mean, but you need the TTL to RS232 Converter in the middle of it.

So Serial Connector of your PC / USB2Serial Adapter -> TTL Converter -> Fon.

I think this Converter straightens out the -15 to +15V on the Serial Console to 0-3,3V (which is Default Voltage on any Serial Port for Mobile Phones and little Router Guys and Gals like the Fonera).

Important thing: NOT USING AN TTL WILL FRY YOUR FONERA!

So just buy an Usb/Serial Mobile Phone Cable and connect it to the Fonera (they got it built in at 99,9%) or solder yourself an Adapter. ( I built after that one: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/LaFon...console_adapter - was simple and works great!)

Greets,

Xeno

Um don't really know what you mean, but you need the TTL to RS232 Converter in the middle of it.

So Serial Connector of your PC / USB2Serial Adapter -> TTL Converter -> Fon.

I think this Converter straightens out the -15 to +15V on the Serial Console to 0-3,3V (which is Default Voltage on any Serial Port for Mobile Phones and little Router Guys and Gals like the Fonera).

Important thing: NOT USING AN TTL WILL FRY YOUR FONERA!

So just buy an Usb/Serial Mobile Phone Cable and connect it to the Fonera (they got it built in at 99,9%) or solder yourself an Adapter. ( I built after that one: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/LaFon...console_adapter - was simple and works great!)

Greets,

Xeno

Ok thats helped me loads. Thanks bud :)

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I seem to have hit a similar slew of problems which I suspect I've made worse.

So there I was, in my lil coffee shop trying the fon out for the first time. I've run it before on trains as a test and this time I thought i'd get serious and start learning. The fon started up fine but after a short while Ruby errors appeared in the logs (A Fatal Crash I believe). After a short while, i restarted the fon. I couldnt get any answer from DHClient. I figured I'd killed the fon.

So, I broke out my FTDI 5v USB to TTL adaptor and soldered some cables to TX,RX and Earth on my Fon (a normal, US Fon). I fired it up under Linux with getty ttyUSB0 9600 and some screen action. At first, I just had some text being continually printed really fast; something about "Hit CTRL-C to boot" or something. After removing the adaptor and restarting the fon a few times it eventually played ball and I got a redboot prompt. It went away and booted but stopped at a wifi section (apparently written by our Digininja) and stayed there.

Clearly I didnt know what to do. Tried typing commands but nothing occured. I thought I'd done a few things wrong. I've looked over the Earth (and TX according to one site) issues where it needs to be removed then put back.This seems to have no effect. Now, I cant get anything out of the port. No matter what I try its all blank. tried minicom but to no avail. I can still send DHCP requests over the cable and the lights on the fonera flash like they are supposed to and i still have a ttyUSB0 so I doubt i've fried anything but damn, if this isnt the oddest thing.

When it is asking you to press ctrl-c that is to get into redboot. If you ignore this then it continues to boot and you end up just seeing all the boot messages. Give this a while and then press a key to get a console.

To use the cable connect RX and TX then power on. You will see a +, then connect the ground. Alternatively, if you don't care about redboot you can power it on then wait a minute and connect the cable.

Unless you changed something then it should be listening on the default settings. If you still see nothing then looks like you may have broken your Fon as the serial cable should always be able to see at least the boot stuff.

What terminal app are you using? I use PuTTY and haven't had any problems with it.

Darn. I tried Putty just now and had no luck. Am I right in thinking the Fon uses 3.3V TTL? I suspect my 5V FTDI chip might not be playing nice. It did but now it doesn't though the lights do seem to work. Will order another and see how it goes. The only thing I changed was the setting to turn Karma on automatically rather than have it turned off. Gutted! But I shall not give up!

I'm not up on the electronics side but that sounds right, have a look at http://www.digininja.org/projects/fon_serial_cable.php and I reference the cable that I butcher to make the serial cables I use.

Thanks man! I had a look over a few of these pages and some said 5V others 3.3v It was one of these "Its a sunday and I dont have the right converter, lets try old faithful FTDI 5Volt". Ooops! *scours eBay for Fonera goodness*

• 2 months later...

So? how did you get along with the ye old faithful 5v input?

I know it's an old topic but I've recently slagged my fon, now it has an ip of 0.0.0.0 lokking for 255.255.255.255 giving out random ips of 169.254.xxx.xxx, bricked I know.

Trying to get it going again and thinking to buy one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-to-TTL-Serial-Ca...=item439de1c4d4

any help would be much appreciated.

cheers.

Thanx.

I think I'm going to buy it and exclude the use of the 5v yellow wire, I'm quite sure there are drivers to make the usb show up as a com port if it doesn't automatically.

Plus without using the power wire I can't fry the fon so whats the worst that can happen?

famous last words.

Edited by Aiface

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody, i am from czech rep.my english is not good.But i have a question.

I have FON2100 with jasager and o openwrt-atheros-2.6. I change in "Network -> networks ->connection type to DHCP" Ip adress i change to 192.168.0.250. and netmask to 255.255.255.0 and apply change.i reconnect fonera to LAN port and on connections i have exclamation mark ( ! ) - bad connection.what now? pleas help me.. :( i try reflash and nothing.. :(

Lan and also with wifi. I look and say question on openwrt irc and on fonera not work dhcp. Fonera give me no IP or netmask.. :blink:

I step with this tutorial: http://wiki.hak5.org/wiki/ Internet_Connection_Sharing_mit_Der_Jasager . I change to DHCP and I changed the IP in the webif interface to 192.168.0.250 and netmask to 255.255.255.0. since didn´t work.. :(

In the first example you have a shot of the network config showing 192.168.0.2 then another showing 192.168.1.0. That second isn't even a legal IP address, something when wrong there.

The second set of shots, the one with 169 IP is where you don't have a DHCP server running on the fon so you didn't get an IP and it went into the default IP range, you won't get any connectivity with this setup. The second image is right, if you are getting internet then things are working correctly. Can you get the Jasager interface? It will be on whatever the IP of the Fon is on port 1471.