BBC botnet

stanni

You normally do not buy a botnet. Usually you will pay for time or action on it, i.e 500 Ddos, 1000 spam, ect.

People buy and sell botnets quite often. Not nearly as often as offering out the services, I agree, but it does happen.

You normally do not buy a botnet. Usually you will pay for time or action on it, i.e 500 Ddos, 1000 spam, ect.

If you really want to get pedantic about it, the BBC didn't buy the botnet, they rented it. But people do buy and sell bots all the time, criminals occasionally need more money for things than they had previously estimated.

My point was simply that, because the BBC rented the Botnet from someone and they then went and removed the bot from around 20,000 zombies that the owners of the Botnet would not be happy because they would be down 20,000 zombies. Not a large number I know but still.

That was all. :D

My point was simply that, because the BBC rented the Botnet from someone and they then went and removed the bot from around 20,000 zombies that the owners of the Botnet would not be happy because they would be down 20,000 zombies. Not a large number I know but still.

That was all. :D

Quite likely, but given that its the BBC, they have a lot of power and can get press attention, so the botnet herders are hardly going to want that.

On your point about what botnet it was, it probably wasn't storm, as storm has been dead for a little while, unless the BBC started off its death. It was shown how to remove storm at the 25C3, but the developers weren't going to do it because of the legal implications, we all know how to call now, the Beeb!

They should have just open sourced the information in a very selective fashion, just enough to give them plausible deniable and to allow the folks with slightly gray hats to get the job done quietly.