USB Card reader drivers needed

darkwolf

I have recently acquired a Schlumberger Reflex USB card reader (P/N 901251) and have yet to get it working. I want to use this on my XP laptop but I cannot seem to find drivers. I found several places that said that they had drivers but for some odd reason none of the drivers work. I even tried to use drivers that I used while I was installin them in Iraq (SCR331 drivers) with no success. There is a web address on the bottom of the device (www.readers.slb.com) but firefox continues to tell me that that site doesn't exist so I tried to drop of the first part and go to the main page only to find a worthless page. I also tried google with every combination of the information that i have all without any help.

You guys/girls are my last hope. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it as I am at my wits end now and am thinkin about flushin the card reader down the toilet. lol

Does it work with a upto date not-Windows?

I've tried it on my Mac computer as well with no results. My Mac is runnin the most current that I know about (10.5.6) and I check for updates on a regular basis. I haven't tried it on any of the various Linux flavors i have since my desktop PC is actin up a little.

I opened up the card reader as suggested and found 3 ICs. One chip says "PIC16C63A" and then a couple other strings of numbers. Another chip says SCM Microsystems "STC-A-SO1". The last chip says "2E12AF" and on a new line "USBN9603-28M."

I'm goin back to google with these numbers to see if I can find anythin new.

[EDIT] I'm back from google and still see worthless results there are more of them this time though lol

Here is a picture of a similar one. The only difference between this one and mine (that you can see) is that mine is a dark gray with "SCHLUMBERGER" printed on the top back near the cable.

SCR331.gif

Sparda when I plug up he card reader there is the little pop-up on the taskbar stating that windows has found a new device and then tries to install it. After a couple seconds it opens the add new hardware wizard. With all that goin on I would think that it's not broken. However, I know that I don't know everythin about computers therefore I won't assume anythin lol.

What kind of card is it meant to read read?

lol I don't know why I haven't said that yet. This card is for smart cards of several types. My specific reason for wantin it is so that I could use it with one of my CAC (common access card) IDs. Usin this card reader with my ID I have potential for several things that I would have to spend much more time doin normally. It's just a convenience thing really.

Here is a picture of a similar one. The only difference between this one and mine (that you can see) is that mine is a dark gray with "SCHLUMBERGER" printed on the top back near the cable.

SCR331.gif

Sparda when I plug up he card reader there is the little pop-up on the taskbar stating that windows has found a new device and then tries to install it. After a couple seconds it opens the add new hardware wizard. With all that goin on I would think that it's not broken. However, I know that I don't know everythin about computers therefore I won't assume anythin lol.

I can tell you exactly what that is.

It's a schlumberger chip & pin credit card reader for reading chip based creditcards that follow the emv standard.

I have the fortune of programming these things under windows in the backend of last year while writting financial applications. For me it wasnt a schlumberger reader, it was an advanced card solutions one.

Now comes the bad news :-) getting the drivers for it will be next to impossible, schlumberger was bought out by Axalto circa 2003, and they then joined forces with Gem circa 2005 to form GemAlto (http://www.gemalto.com/)

The reader should be PCSC compliant (most of them are) but it will still need a low level stub and thats the driver your looking for. You could try drivers from different smart card readers, one of them may work, but your gonna have to do some serious hacking of the driver INI file to make it work. At the very least, your going to have to change the USB Vendor ID's.

If you do manage to get another driver working, then you'll likley only get basic functionality.

Another choice you have is "The Open Smart Card Frame Work" (http://www.opensc-project.org/) don't expect it to be easy though. I have an advanced card systems one, and it only just plays ball under windows XP, under Vista you can forget even trying.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Shawty

PS: Info on schlumberger can be found here (http://www.gemalto.com/axalto/Company/press/newsb3a3.html)

PPS: If you get it working, you'll be amazed what you can read from an average credit card ;-)

I can tell you exactly what that is.

It's a schlumberger chip & pin credit card reader for reading chip based creditcards that follow the emv standard.

I have the fortune of programming these things under windows in the backend of last year while writting financial applications. For me it wasnt a schlumberger reader, it was an advanced card solutions one.

Now comes the bad news :-) getting the drivers for it will be next to impossible, schlumberger was bought out by Axalto circa 2003, and they then joined forces with Gem circa 2005 to form GemAlto (http://www.gemalto.com/)

The reader should be PCSC compliant (most of them are) but it will still need a low level stub and thats the driver your looking for. You could try drivers from different smart card readers, one of them may work, but your gonna have to do some serious hacking of the driver INI file to make it work. At the very least, your going to have to change the USB Vendor ID's.

If you do manage to get another driver working, then you'll likley only get basic functionality.

Another choice you have is "The Open Smart Card Frame Work" (http://www.opensc-project.org/) don't expect it to be easy though. I have an advanced card systems one, and it only just plays ball under windows XP, under Vista you can forget even trying.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Shawty

PS: Info on schlumberger can be found here (http://www.gemalto.com/axalto/Company/press/newsb3a3.html)

PPS: If you get it working, you'll be amazed what you can read from an average credit card ;-)

I have to say that I'm not too fond of what you're tellin me lol but it's not too big of a shock. I knew that Schlumberger was no longer around but I didnt know how far gone they were. :( As I said on my first post I have tried several different drivers without any positive results but I didn't know that It was possible for me to hack the drivers into workability. Since I don't really feel like doin the studyin I'd have to do in order to hack together a driver I guess I'll just give up on this one. I'm just glad it was free. :) Looks like I may have to buy a new one though. :(

Thanks everyone for your help.

I have to say that I'm not too fond of what you're tellin me lol but it's not too big of a shock. I knew that Schlumberger was no longer around but I didnt know how far gone they were. :( As I said on my first post I have tried several different drivers without any positive results but I didn't know that It was possible for me to hack the drivers into workability. Since I don't really feel like doin the studyin I'd have to do in order to hack together a driver I guess I'll just give up on this one. I'm just glad it was free. :) Looks like I may have to buy a new one though. :(

Thanks everyone for your help.

Anytime dark wolf. Just glad i could clear it up. As soon as i saw the picture i recognised it.

For reference, this is the one i use http://www.acs.com.hk/acr128-sdk.php

It wasn't hugely expensive to buy, about £30/£35 UK, about $50 or so i think.

Cheers

Shawty

Anytime dark wolf. Just glad i could clear it up. As soon as i saw the picture i recognised it.

For reference, this is the one i use http://www.acs.com.hk/acr128-sdk.php

It wasn't hugely expensive to buy, about £30/£35 UK, about $50 or so i think.

Cheers

Shawty

Oooh, I like the kit from that link. :) I could think of a few things that I could do with that, lol.

• 1 year later...

I have recently acquired a Schlumberger Reflex USB card reader (P/N 901251) and have yet to get it working. I want to use this on my XP laptop but I cannot seem to find drivers. I found several places that said that they had drivers but for some odd reason none of the drivers work. I even tried to use drivers that I used while I was installin them in Iraq (SCR331 drivers) with no success. There is a web address on the bottom of the device (www.readers.slb.com) but firefox continues to tell me that that site doesn't exist so I tried to drop of the first part and go to the main page only to find a worthless page. I also tried google with every combination of the information that i have all without any help.

You guys/girls are my last hope. If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it as I am at my wits end now and am thinkin about flushin the card reader down the toilet. lol

Try this http://joes.ecnets.com/DRIVERSONLINE/index.html