Can't Boot

joshricco

as afore mentioned, same error I get when I try to install it. I have tried every possible option found in the boot menu.

Are you sure the disc you are using works? Maybe its not a complete download or is corrupted. Did you check the MD5 hashes when you download the ISO against the hash on their site?

Are you sure the disc you are using works? Maybe its not a complete download or is corrupted. Did you check the MD5 hashes when you download the ISO against the hash on their site?

It's a possibility, I got the CD from my friend a couple weeks ago. What I'm thinking about doing now is trying to boot off a flash drive. The problem with doing that is that I need an ubuntu machine and this is the only computer I have. also, I've only recently taken an interest in all things tech, so I'm not entirely sure what MD5 hashes are or how to check them against the hash on their site. Could you please explain?

EDIT: I'm burning a new Ubuntu disk right now

EDIT EDIT: Most excellent victory! It seems as if the new disk actually works! Jesus H Tapdancing Christ! Now for the bad news, when I use the fdisk /dev/hda command it cannot open /dev/hda, also, I cannot find GParted and when I try to open it in console the console tells me I need root privileges. I'll keep messing around with it. If anyone can help me access GParted (i've never used ubuntu before) I would be much obliged.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: sudo GParted worked out just dandily, I deleted the 33 MB partition I made but I still get the non-system disk (or whatever I said it said earlier) on startup. Also, I have 33 MB or unallocated space, should I just delete all of my partitions, (C and R), just create one with the unallocated space, and install vista?

Thanks for the help so far guys

With out seeing what it looks like its hard to say, you may be able to fix the mbr. No offence but it doesnt seem like you know what you are doing so its hard to walk you threw step by step, especailly since there is google. You can try shrinking the windows partition and installing ubutu on a new partition and seeing if it picks it up and then reboot and use grub to boot back into windows OR ubuntu. Other than that just format it, not of value is lost.

So I installed ubuntu (I'm actually making this post on the computer in question) and everything seems to be working fine. The only thing is, I feel like I may have lost about 70 GB's of storage space. If anyone has an idea as to what could have happened to that 70 GB's please inform me. . . also, after installing Ubuntu, I thought I'd check GParted to see if I had any unallocated space, but GParted had conveniently disappeared.

Anyway I'm pretty sure everything's working out fine for now. I'm going to try vista again as soon as I can.

Thanks for all the help guys

EDIT EDIT: Most excellent victory! It seems as if the new disk actually works! Jesus H Tapdancing Christ! Now for the bad news, when I use the fdisk /dev/hda command it cannot open /dev/hda, also, I cannot find GParted and when I try to open it in console the console tells me I need root privileges. I'll keep messing around with it. If anyone can help me access GParted (i've never used ubuntu before) I would be much obliged.

Might have to do sudo fdisk /dev/hda or sudo fdisk /dev/sda depending on the disk hardware in use. (PATA vs SATA, FLASH, etc)

Also, now that it is installed, type (I think) "df" then enter and it will show you the device name and partitions and such.

Well, everything seems to be working out great. I got GParted working an d it looks like there is only one partition. Also, it turns out my HD was only 250 GB (which makes a hell of a lot more sense).

Anyway, thanks for all the help and for putting up with my shenanigans/n00bliness