Ubuntu install on Acer Aspire One

Method

I used the USB drive to install Ubuntu. I partitioned the harddrive leaving about 10 gb of the 160gb for XP. When I restart the PC I don't get an option to boot Ubuntu. I have gone into the bios and switched which drive to boot from and it only loads XP. The partition was successfully created as there are the ten gigs left on my HD. My question is, how can I find and load the Ubuntu OS or recover the partition that I created and start fresh. The Acer Aspire does not have a recovery disk as there is no disk drive. Any help is appreciated!

Did you make sure that you should press a boot menu button where you can choose to boot from usb.

Also, if the usb install wont work, just try to install from a cd.

there is no cd rom on an aspire one.

i put ubuntu on my aspire one from a usb and it boots just fine. i did not have to touch any bios settings to make ubuntu work for me.

i followed a tutorial that installed ubuntu 8.04 and then upgraded it to 8.10, i would try that as it sounds like GRUB didnt install for you.

Did you make sure that you should press a boot menu button where you can choose to boot from usb.

Also, if the usb install wont work, just try to install from a cd.

How would I delete the partition that I created to reinstall Ubuntu?

Install GRUB, or LILO.

Google around for that, but it looks like it just didn't install the bootloader properly, or at all.

You can add it to the XP bootloader as well, you might want to look into that.

The HD space, I found is currently unallocated. Can I install Ubuntu directly to this unallocated space?

Sure but just to make sure format it to ext3, that way if you have had to much to drink and decide to install you will know, "Hey I shouldnt over ride this NTFS partition, but look there is a ext3 one!"

I used the USB drive to install Ubuntu. I partitioned the harddrive leaving about 10 gb of the 160gb for XP. When I restart the PC I don't get an option to boot Ubuntu. I have gone into the bios and switched which drive to boot from and it only loads XP.

Just to give you a few pointers.

In order to boot from a device, you need the master boot record to have a boot loader installed and correctly configured to point to a kernel image that would be loaded. Each drive (hard disk, floppy, usb drive, etc.) has only one master boot record and that usually is the first 1024 cylinders of the drive.

So, you correctly partitioned the drive into 2 partitions- 1 for Ubuntu and 1 for Windows. But you left the Windows boot loader untouched. That means that every time you reboot, the boot loader will always load Windows.

What you have to do is install another boot loader (as Bakb0ne has pointed a couple of good ones: GRUB or LILO) and configure it to point to the 2 partitions you have created. I think in GRUB you have to specify that in the menu.lst file.

There are a lot of tutorials on that subject on line. Just google for "GRUB dual boot" or "LILO dual boot".

I hope that helps you to get on the right track.