same ampere, different voltage.

tim.vangehugten

No, short answer.

Its unlikely that the power management in the laptop will accept anything else, also your other one is supplying significantly less power overall so would be unlikely to run the laptop on it and the battery charging circuits are unlikely to accept a lower voltage to protect the battery cells.

Go and buy an equivalent adaptor.

If you love your laptop don't even try that :)

/agree with stingwray

Since a device can only work reliably with minor variations in voltage and amperage what you're proposing is not a good idea at all.

Now a 2V drop may not be a scary thing as far as a TV is considered, but laptops are sensitive pieces of equipment and should be taken care of in that sense.

Consideing the amperage, a 1.6A difference IS A LOT and I don't believe that you will get NEARLY enough power to run it and/or charge the battery.

Take care.

Hi,

I just encountered a problem, my adaptor is broken so I was wondering if I could hook up an 10volt adaptor with 600mA with the laptop.

The original adaptor is an 12V with 2.2A.

The power supply will probably stop working shortly after plugging it in. You need a 12V 2.2Amp+ adapter.

Well it works, but it makes a strange sound when I keep it plugged in.. So Im just going to get an right adapter...

So my old pc/latop (its to heavy to call it a laptop:P ) can work again ^_^

wow brave man. like everyone else said if its designed for 12v 2.2Amps then get an adapter for 12v 2.2A

Undervolting isn't that dangerous, normally ends in instability and corruption rather than physical damage. Correct voltage is required for most things, less current may prevent devices from working but an adaptor with a higher current rating shouldn't cause problems, unless you start force feeding the power into the device.

It all depends on several factors. Slightly Technical laymen's speak ahead.

Is the power supply a regulated supply or unregulated A regulated supply will generate the rated voltage up to rated current.

So a regulated supply rated at 12v 2.2 amps will generate 12v if the load is 500mA, 1.0 amp or 2.2amps. If you go above the rated current/load most will crowbar the output, meaning it will drop to 0v. This is to protect the power supply. Others will just not put out more then the rated current and eventually heat up and burn out.

An unregulated supply is a different beast. They only generate the rated voltage at the rated current/load. Not a good idea to hook up to something unless you know what the load will be.

So, let's say the 10v supply was an unregulated supply. If you're put a 500mA load on it, the voltage measured would be greater then 10V, If you put a 800mA load on it the voltage would be less then 10V. So, let's say your device required 1.2 amps. This is double what the unregulated supply is rated for so you would probably only see around 5V+- a volt.

Now, for sake of arguement let's say the 10V supply was a regulated supply. When you plugged it in the laptop probably required more then 600mA so you were running the 10V supply at it's max limit. Not good for the supply and not good for the laptop.

BTW, most laptops will run on less then rated voltage. They will disable things like charging of batteries and such. Take for instance the Linksys WRT54GS (I know it's not a laptop). It's power supply is 12volts but switches that internally to 3.3 volts, so it will run off 4 AA batteries.

Even though the laptop supply is 12v 2.2amps this is worst case scenario, so technically you could probably get away with as much as half that but 1.8amps is probably the real limit. Depends on how you use the computer as to how much current it will draw (burning DVD, running HD, video brightness, CPU speed, etc)

Just my opinion.