What was your first PC?

Machstorm

I know where I can still buy one of those new at a repair shop just down the street from me.

Also, in case some did not know Nvidia bought out 3DFX and that's how they got the technology.

w00t! yah they were some tough ass cards. Way ahead of their time. I rememeber they were $200 a pop... thats pretty cheap compaired to now for the top of the line card, and that's putting inflation in with it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First computer I used was an Apple IIe but the first computer I had for my self I worked my ass off for. I got it of e-bay selling collectibles for my neighbor getting $5 a hour...but i was 13 so meh. Although we got screwed by the company that we bought it from...so instead of an Uber computer I got a

Celeron 500MHz

64MB SDR Ram

8MB onboard shared vid

10GBHDD

56kModem

10/100Nic

oh yea it was a beast lol. Ran Windows 98se. Currently now running a P4E with HT at 3GHz, 1.7GB DDR, VisionTek ATi HD2600Pro 512MB DDR3, 4HDDs and then my Laptop which is a Compaq Presario Core2 Dual 1.6Ghz. Then I have a G3 PowerMac and like 9 other comps...I collect them

For a laptop that cost $420 its nice. Its minimal only having Svid, 3USB, VGA but is a 1.6GHz Core2Dual (althoguh 64bit mobo wont runt 64), 1GB of DDR 2 (upgraded to 2 Max) and Intel X3100 for vid and 120GBHDD so for the price its rather good.

w00t! yah they were some tough ass cards. Way ahead of their time. I rememeber they were $200 a pop... thats pretty cheap compaired to now for the top of the line card, and that's putting inflation in with it.

Here's another tough ass card:Fahrenheit 1280 Orchid:

Fahrenheit 1280 Orchid

They ran the S3 GPU I bought an Diamond Stealth S4 Savage and had it from 98 until I bought a Geforce 2 from Babbages when they sold video cards.

comodore vic 20 with tape drive and a few carts aswell

386 that i dont like to remember

amiga 1200 with an Apollo 1240 turbo card 68040 40MHz a 400meg internal hdd and a 300meg extrenal hdd ( i thought i was so leet lol )

486 dx2 66mhz

Compaq Presario 7222 P1 100MHz

266 mmx

amd k6 500

then my baby sgi 320 dual 500mhz ( loved that rig )

amd 1 gig

athalon xp1800

p4 3gig ht

amd 3200+

amd phenom 4x 9500

now its time to cringe on how much of my cash ive wasted on tech gear lol

Tandy 1000 HX. Booted MS-DOS 2.11 from ROM, had a single 720K 3.5" drive, 256KB RAM.

Playing the original Space Quest, Police Quest, King's Quest games on this computer was the most fun I ever had playing computer games. That was back when Radio Shack was a place to go to buy computers and software. Oh how things have changed - it makes me feel old to think of when I used to be excited to go to Radio Shack! :)

Tandy 1000 HX. Booted MS-DOS 2.11 from ROM, had a single 720K 3.5" drive, 256KB RAM.

Playing the original Space Quest, Police Quest, King's Quest games on this computer was the most fun I ever had playing computer games. That was back when Radio Shack was a place to go to buy computers and software. Oh how things have changed - it makes me feel old to think of when I used to be excited to go to Radio Shack! :)

lol~ yah, back before they were a cordless phone and cellphone dealer(basically)

right.

Intel 386 with like 2mb RAM, DOS

intel 486 with 16mb ram win 3.1

intel 166 mmx, 64mb ram, 2gb SCSI hdd

intel 233 mmx, 96mb ram, 2x 2gb hdd

AMD k6 600, 386mb ram, 30gb harddrive, nvidia mx440

AMD k6 800, same as above

AMD 1600+, same as above

AMD 2800+, 1gb RAM, 3x 20gb hdd, nvidia 5900ultra

AMD 3000+, 2gb RAM, 2x 80gb hdd, ATI 9600pro

pent 4 3.2ghz, same as above

pent D 3.4ghz, dual 8600GT graphics, 500+gb hdd, 2gb ram

computer in my sig.

lol

I have no idea what the make and model of the PC was but i remember some of the specs.

it was a 286 with I think 32k memory. booted off of two 5 1/4" floppy drives (no hard drive) and ran MSDOS like a dream... well once you got past the 5 minuet boot time off of the floppy. all it was good for was learning basic and running word perfect. or maybe the occasional game of asteroids. The family also had a commodore 64 with the tape drive. and I think there was a brief moment when we had a commodore Vic 20 but I kinda view those as more gaming platforms.

In college (long after I had a much better machine) I picked up an Atari 800XL with a 28 baud modem and a 5 1/4" floppy drive. Ahh the good old days.

First computer that my family had was the the original MACINTOSH.

180px-Macintosh_128k_transparency.png

My dads shop was upgrading and they had a few of these things laying around so he took one home. About all it could do was mac paint (in black and white, No grey) and it had a text editor. The keyboard worked fine, BUT to call the mouse "Human interface device" was being a little too generous. It was more of a "slam me on the table to move the cursor to a random location on the screen and repeat until it was close enough" device. I was like... 4-5 years old when we had that thing. I remember using the crap out of it until one day the little smiling faced mac that appears when you turn on the device wasn't smiling anymore.

SadMacIcon.jpg

BAD MAC!! BAD!!!! lol. Yah I remember those things..

LOL, many people forget that most of the computer labs in elementary schools back in the day were mac's. Most were just to young to remember / the mac's interface was so old it is almost impossible to disambiguate from an old copy of windows. The one thing that sticks out in my mind more clearly than any other memory was the "using the mouse chapter" in first grade computer lab. They had you move the mouse, then they had you pick up the mouse and move it. "Notice how the cursor didn't move this time?".

Even though My first few years of my technological life were on mac's I can proudly say I have never joined the dark side. (or would it be the pearl white and brushed aluminum side?)

(I can remember stories from kindergarten/first grade, but cant recall some ones name that just introduced them self. I think it's time for me to reformat/defragment)

i remember it was some model of packard bell i dont remember much about the specs other than it didnt have enough ram to run doom1.

i remember it was some model of packard bell i dont remember much about the specs other than it didnt have enough ram to run doom1.

that sucks. I remember with my first compy, I went out and splurged on the $10 doom1 demo, and it played alright.... in a 1" by 1" box @ around 8 to 10fps :P

As my signature says, this was my first computer: A Timex-Sinclair 1000. Good for learning BASIC and not much else.

Yes, great for learning BASIC. The shortcut statements on the keyboard almost made up for it being impossible to type on.

My first computer was a 486-DX with 8 megs of memory and Windows 95 with Microsoft Plus! (silly themes). It had a 14.4 modem, a fuzzy monitor (soon replaced with kick-ass sony trinitron), a 2x cd-rom, and a loud dot-matrix printer (replaced with an epson inkjet much to everyone's relief). This was in 1996.