What was your first PC?

Machstorm

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a 386 after that TI 99 but, sold it after my parent divorced and I had to wait until 98 when I built my first real PC which if memory serves was an AMD K6-2 333 with a 100MHZ FSB and an FIC mobo with 2MB cache, 128MB of memory and an 8 gig HDD.

my FAMILIES first was somethign i cant remember, it was 3.1 then we "upgraded" to windows ME on an Emachines. and finally MY first was a old gateway that ran 98, then to a gateway m320 with XP and now my own dell XPS i built one but the mobo crashed :(

MY first computer that I paid for myself was:

bondi_imac_240.jpg..., which eventually became the family computer when the Gateway we had with XP died. Strange.

Families was an Acer with Windows 95 in my mother's house and a Micron with Windows 95 in my father's house, purchased at about the same time.

Those were the days.

I currently have a MacBook, so does my twin. My older brothers have MacBook Pros and my mother has a Mac Mini.

I wish I could get a picture of mine, but it was a company made one.

It was an NCR 6320 Colour Laptop with a 133 mhz Proccessor, 64MB of RAM, 640x480 16-bit screen and to top it off, Windows 3.1. Oh, and a proprietry set of connectors which only let me use NCR Keyboards and Mice, on the plus side it had an ATM Interface port.

My family's first computer was a Commodore 64. We had the tape drive (w00t!), and centipede. It used a generic atari 2600 joystick (well serial connection).

MY First computer was.... A Packard Bell 386sx 8 and 16mhz turbo. If memory serves me correctly, it had 4mb of memory,512kb video memory (cirrus logic), and a whopping 120mb hard drive. Rollin' w/ Windows 3.1, no sound card.

One night it was storming outside and I opened it to try to overclock the cpu (intel) via the jumpers on the mb for the multiplier and speed. I was going for 32mhz and ~66mhz bus.... Then something shorted....

The second computer I had was an ole' famouse IBM 8088 w/dual 5"1/4 floppies, and a decked out like 20mb hard drive (seagate.. yah i remember.) That did'nt last too long...

Next was when I was in high school (around 1997 to 2000) A 5 finger special computer! At the height of it's existence, it was an AMD k6-2 333mhz, 32mb ram, A DIAMOND video card w/16mb mem, a Diamond Monster 3DFX Voodoo 2 running in series w/ 12mb onboard, a 500mb hard drive and a sound blaster 16 pci. AHHH yeah.. themz wuz teh dayz. oh yah and a US Robotics 56k modem. Oh yah and w/ Windows 98se (Of course!)

See kids! SLI and Crossfire is nothing new:

STBVoodoo2SLIcards.jpg

We had something like that at school in the mid-90's. Complete POS but it allowed the school to say "we have computers in every room".

lol, that's because they were using a computer that was more then likely more than 10 years old at that point. It was okay, it was how I learned Basic and ASM although I did get the family C64 when they bought a PC in the early 90's.

As my dad was an engineer for IBM from the early days, iv had a lot of strange stuff around.

As far as i remember, my first computer was a Tiki 100

Tiki_100_System_2.jpg

Manufactured by Tiki Data of Oslo, Norway. The computer was launched 1984 under the original name Kontiki 100

<snip from wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiki_100>

'100' in the machine's name was based on the total KB amount of memory.

The computer was based on the Zilog Z80 CPU, and featured:

* A full-travel keyboard integrated into the computer case

* A colour graphics CRT interface with palette, supporting 3 different graphics modes with 240, 480 or 960 by 256 pixels with 16, 4, or 2 simultaneous colours respectively in 32 KB of dual ported memory.

* A TV interface

* A AY-3-8912 polyphonic sound generator

* One or two integrated 5¼ inch floppy disk drives

* Two RS-232 serial ports

* One Centronics printer port

* 64 KB of RAM (main memory)

* 32 KB of graphical memory

* 8 KB of ROM

</snip>

But the one i remember the most, was the Compaq Portable III. My first "laptop" or a computer you could move around.

Compaq_PortableIII_System_s2.jpg

compaq3drive.jpg

compaqiii.jpg

This will probably seem screaming fast but my first computer all my own was an inspiron 5000 w/ 500mhz processor, 192mb RAM, and 5GB HArd Drive. It ran win 2k (Best Windows ever IMO). Then it BSODed so I installed Xubuntu and it still running (rather slow but usuable). Apparently at the time it was bought it was almost 4k! How technology has grown..

lol Hey Sparda your first comp was one buff chunky bastard, I must admit for its day it still looks pretty mean unlike some of the others.

Well I was playing games at a friends house on his Commodre 64 and other computers from the mid 80's to mid 90's. The first computer that my family purchased that I could call my own was some pre built one from the p.c store, All I can remember was it had a intel MMX xpu, 64 mb ram (I think), a crappy 36.6k modem and windows 95 with built in air bags for when it crashed like a biatch. Damn being WIN nuked the first time was so much fun =P

The first comp I shelled out money from my own pocket was a AMD athlon cpu on a asus mother board, 1024 DDR ram, G-force ti4200 gfx card , Audigy2 zs plat pro sound card, 120 gb hard drive and altech lansing 5.1 speakers. Twaz a pretty sweet machine.

I had a IBM Ambra Sprinta 486SX with a little upgrade:

33MHz Intel 486SX

20MB RAM

800MB HDD

Creative Sound Blaster 16, with a CD drive.

Some graphics card able to run 1280x1024 32bit under Windows

DOS 6.2 with Windows 3.1

1284205827_6ee82f8106.jpg

Not mine...

As my signature says, this was my first computer: A Timex-Sinclair 1000. Good for learning BASIC and not much else.

Zx81-timex.jpg

My first PC in the sense we use the word today, was some unknown PC-XT clone running at 10MHz and sporting a jaw-dropping 512KB of RAM. Twice the typical amount in those days.

My family's first computer was a Commodore 64. We had the tape drive (w00t!), and centipede. It used a generic atari 2600 joystick (well serial connection).

MY First computer was.... A Packard Bell 386sx 8 and 16mhz turbo. If memory serves me correctly, it had 4mb of memory,512kb video memory (cirrus logic), and a whopping 120mb hard drive. Rollin' w/ Windows 3.1, no sound card.

One night it was storming outside and I opened it to try to overclock the cpu (intel) via the jumpers on the mb for the multiplier and speed. I was going for 32mhz and ~66mhz bus.... Then something shorted....

The second computer I had was an ole' famouse IBM 8088 w/dual 5"1/4 floppies, and a decked out like 20mb hard drive (seagate.. yah i remember.) That did'nt last too long...

Next was when I was in high school (around 1997 to 2000) A 5 finger special computer! At the height of it's existence, it was an AMD k6-2 333mhz, 32mb ram, A DIAMOND video card w/16mb mem, a Diamond Monster 3DFX Voodoo 2 running in series w/ 12mb onboard, a 500mb hard drive and a sound blaster 16 pci. AHHH yeah.. themz wuz teh dayz. oh yah and a US Robotics 56k modem. Oh yah and w/ Windows 98se (Of course!)

See kids! SLI and Crossfire is nothing new:

STBVoodoo2SLIcards.jpg

I know where I can still buy one of those new at a repair shop just down the street from me.

Also, in case some did not know Nvidia bought out 3DFX and that's how they got the technology.

My 1st PC I actually owned was an IBM AT 286 20MB HD 1MB ram DOS 3.1. Washed cars, cleaned garages, mowed lawns, raked leaves etc for about 9 months to save up to pay for it !! (bought it used of course). those were the days hehe...

Who remembers having to edit the autoexec.bat & config.sys files to "rem" out the himem line to get certain games to run because some games needed "extended" memory and some needed "expanded" memory ??

I remember I got to upgrade to 2 MB of ram for my birthday,... went to the good ole' tri-state PC show... found USED ram,, paid $80 for an extra 1MB !!! WTF was that ?!?! Oh how times change,... I'm still a fan of older hardware, my main PC up until about 6 months ago was a PIII 933 512ram 40gig HD geforce 2 GTS. I've upgrade now to an Athlon XP 2500+ 1gig DDR 400, 80 gig HD and a Geforce 4 MX 440 (bout the same as the geforce 2 GTS)

It does seem odd that nearly every one else's first computers are before the 386 where my first computer was well after the 386. I'll gladly admit I'm strange, so that's my reason.

nah, your just a youngin' (j/k!)

....or maybe Im just old... not j/k.... :(....

To linuxor!

I remember having to add 'stacks=' to config.sys because if you ran certain programs and didnt change the default it wouldnt load a game or program. hah!

We beez D.O.S. 1337!

Dos boot structure:

IO.SYS<----boot file (guess similar to winnt.dll?)

MSDOS.SYS<----dos structure image

COMMAND.COM<---command interpreter

CONFIG.SYS<-------dos user defined/program defined configuration post-load file

AUTOEXEC.BAT<----similar to your startup folder in windows (and up until windows 98, win.com was put in here so you could boot into windows automatically!)

Anyone ever played around and made autoexec boot menus and batch menus?

First computer ever was an old IBM 5140 Convertible.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/comput...st=1&c=1182

That was sold in 1992. Moved on up to a Tandy 386 upgraded to 486 a few years later. Still works. Currently running something between DOS and Windows 3.1. After that I moved to a PackBell running Windows 95B. Next computer was a Gateway bought just after the release of Windows XP. Currently I'm running a computer I built back in 2004. Bought all the parts in 2003 when they were the latest and greatest. Now the only parts you can still get for it are hard drive (SATA I) and memory (DDR PC3200), another custom built one running XP with outdated yet still great parts, a custom built server running FreeNAS 0.69, and a Dell Inspiron 1200 running Windows 7 Beta.

Technology has certainly changed, but I won't change until I absolutely have to. Thinking of buying a Mac Mini just to say I've used all the major OSes (Windows, Linux, DOS, and Mac).