Creating a managed wireless network with fon

soundguymike

This seems to me like something that would have been done by now but I can't seem to find an answer. So my question is there a way to create a managed wireless network with the use of cheap routers and linux.

I work at a school and currently we are using about 12 wrt54gl routers with ddwrt. These though are all setup as individual Access points with a common ssid. I was wondering if there is a better way, maybe setting up a fon with linux on it in each classroom and then have a server managing them all.

The main design requirement that is causing problems is our 3 mobile labs where there are 25 laptops all in the same classroom. With the possibility of being next door to another room with 25 computers and above a first floor room with 25 computers.

Any other recommendations would be welcome.

Smoothwall + Python + Reading DDWRT documentation + http POST = a script to update all routers at once

Smoothwall as the base firewall, Python to create a script that validates and post commands the the router. Use this as a rough example.

No need in going out and buying more routers because if all you want to do is run "linux" well thats what ddwrt is. However, if you do go that path why not toss a few wrt54g's my way :P. Ill be more than happy to help you script it then.

EDIT: just thought about this, but if ssh is open on all the routers then you cna just make a sh script to do this. Know that leaving ssh open is a bad security risk as well though. If the laptops are always in the same lab with the same router apply MAC filtering. If you are using windows you are in the suck since it doesnt look at an APs MAC address, just the SSID. Im sure there is a way to change this but i havent played with wireless function in windows in a LONG time. If someone knows where wireless zero config information is stored, the registry, a config.ini file i wouldnt mind looking more into this fix.

:blink: WOW! That seems a bit beyond my capabilities.

I say linux because I know there is no way of me getting the tens of thousands of dollars for a Cisco's 4400 managed wireless.

clarification: Yes I am stuck with wireless zero config manager in windows.

We have 2 mobile labs consisting of 25 laptops which 1 can be anywhere on the the second floor one for the other could be anywhere on the first. We also have two grant laptop labs which stay in the same rooms.

What I was figuring was get a decent server that would be the WLAN controller and then have wrt54g, fon or (whichever cheap hackable router I can find) being manged by the WLAN. The main features I want to have are the ability to automatically choose power and channel for optimum coverage. As well as the ability to detect problems and adjust accordingly.

Install "Tamper Data", a firefox add-on. Go to the router config and start configuring a few things and looking at the POST commands going threw. Create a script to login to the router and then do what you want. If anything look at the cd that comes with them, thats how they set your SSID and what not without you logging into the web UI. I would help but I dont have either of those routers. I will look around and see what I can find.

Using ddwrt in wireless repeater mode I was able to set up a network with 1 wrt54gl, and 2 wrt54gs

a wireless repeater cuts the speed in half so you will wind up with 27mbits instead of 54 but since not many users have a internet connection that needs that much bandwidth, it works great in most cases

so if you just want a way to get many people on your network and keep them all with a good signal, wireless repeaters are pretty much the simplest solution

you could also use a high gain antenna but due to many factors there no way to tell what kind of range you will get, so theres a chance that you can buy a expensive antenna and still not provide the coverage needed

While wireless repeater mode would work well for complete coverage I don't think this is what is being looked for here. the 54GS's that are mentioned above seem to be in mildly different locations. Doing SSH and Shell scripting seems like the quickest implementation for your needs. you can easily disable DD-Wrt's web interface and even give the daemon an odd port to work on. while this is not the best security it should be enough dependent upon your user bases computer knowledge. Plus it makes the programing end really simple.

I came upon this project that my help immensely, it's called SSHsprinkler.

SSHsprinkler is a tool to distribute the execution of commands or scripts on a set of remote networked systems. It is portable (written in Python), asynchronous, uses the ssh encryption and manages the logs of the batches carried out on target systems.

Just read up on sending POST commands via python and there you have it.