Macs are still more expensive....

Zimmer

the dell i compared was only .79 lbs heavier than the mac book air, it also had the option for a 256gig ssd for 400 dollars more or a 128gig ssd for 200 more. if i wanted i could have added more leetspecs to the dell but even these specs crushed the macbook so there was no need.

basically everyone knows that when you buy a mac you pay more and you get less, and osx is no excuse either, everyone complains about microsoft and the price of windows, but i cant see paying 500-2000 dollars more for a weaker machine just because it looks cool and runs osx. why anyone would is beyond me.

Your still missing the point, people who buy the Air want it for its size and its weight, not its uber-performance. This is why it is better if that is what you want, clearly the Air is not aimed at you because you can't understand this. None of the apples are weaker machines, by your argument all smart phones are rubbish because for the same price you can buy a netbook, they are very different markets, like the Air is supposed to be an ultra portable style, the Dell is a small notebook.

If you want to compare that dell to an Apple compare it to the MacBook, you'll find the difference in price more favorable there will be little difference between them.

The *entire* point of the Air is that its a beautiful piece of design work and is incredibly thin. Your XPS is a totally different machine, its like comparing a moterbike to a car and going "well its shit, I can fit 4 people in mine *and* it has a roof!". If you want to compare a machine to the Air, the only one that compares is the Lenovo ThinkPad X300, which costs more and does more, the Thinkpad asthetic is an aquired taste however. If you don't want one, fine, but don't bitch about other people choosing form over function.

(I'm not personally a fan of Apples pricing stucture for OSX, service packs as paid-for upgrades isn't my cup of tea, but since I don't use Apple kit I class that as Someone Elses Problem.)

Your still missing the point, people who buy the Air want it for its size and its weight, not its uber-performance. This is why it is better if that is what you want, clearly the Air is not aimed at you because you can't understand this. None of the apples are weaker machines, by your argument all smart phones are rubbish because for the same price you can buy a netbook, they are very different markets, like the Air is supposed to be an ultra portable style, the Dell is a small notebook.

If you want to compare that dell to an Apple compare it to the MacBook, you'll find the difference in price more favorable there will be little difference between them.

its not that im missing the point. i understand your point of view. and comparing cellphones to netbooks dosnt really describe my point of view. lets take blackberries for example. tons of people buy blackberry cell phones that are priced much higher than devices that can do twice as much, have faster processors, better camera touch screen interface, and 3g capability.

comparing laptops in the same size and spec catagory is not the same as comparing a cell phone to a netbook. also its not just the macbook air its many of apples products, people practially trip over themselves to get a new ipod that costs much more than a devices that can outperform it, and for less money.

compare any machine that apple has against a simmilar spec machine from another company and its obvious that mac buyers are getting gouged. i just compared an xps m1530 to a macbook pro 15" and the difference in price---mac $3,425.00 Dell xps $2,239 with blueray and and it even comes with a dell mini 9 netbook for that price too. now thats hot

Your confusing a Product with a device. Apple sell Products, Dell sell computers. Look at blackberrys, crap phones but for corp email they are the best devices on the market because your not just buying a phone that does email, your buying a Product.

I'd consider the Latitude E6400 more as the competitor to the MacBook Pro 15".

Cheapest MBP 15: £1369.00

E6400 at the same spec: £1256.95

Not really that much difference, and the MBP is still a considerably better machine, for size, weight, quality, design etc, and uses DDR3 if you want the most uber performance machine compare spec yar yar yar.

The E6400 is a very nice machine but its not the same as a MPB. Removeable battery, docking station and the fact that the entire base of the unit can be removed for upgrades is a plus. However, its not as well made, lots of plastic and with the top end processor it smells of burning for the 1st few weeks of operation. No, not a dodgey unit, all 30 of them were the same.

Yep, definitely more expensive.

And I'd STILL pay for it.

The E6400 is a very nice machine but its not the same as a MPB. Removeable battery, docking station and the fact that the entire base of the unit can be removed for upgrades is a plus. However, its not as well made, lots of plastic and with the top end processor it smells of burning for the 1st few weeks of operation. No, not a dodgey unit, all 30 of them were the same.

the removable bottom cover i do like alot, thats one thing i like about vaios, theyre super fuckin easy to work on and access internal components. i do wish dell and hp would adopt this type of design.

Here is an interesting article that my Apple Rep sent me the other day. Thought I would share.

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/tag/mac/?mod=ATD_search

The following was posted on the Digital Daily site... http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/

Brave guy, Yair Reiner, for singlehandedly assailing the “Macs are more expensive” myth (or truism, depending on your particular worldview). In a research note on Apple’s new desktops, the Oppenheimer analyst compared, spec-by-spec, the new Apple (AAPL) iMac, Dell’s (DELL) XPS One 24 and Hewlett-Packard’s (HPQ) TouchSmart IQ800t and concluded that the iMac offers a better value (click on chart below to enlarge). “A side-by-side comparison suggests the new iMacs match up favorably against Dell and HP’s All-in-Ones on a price-to-performance basis,” Reiner wrote. “For example, the $1,499 model has a faster CPU and RAM with better or comparable graphics, and is still $100-$250 cheaper (though it lacks a TV Tuner, ~$60-$100 upgrade).”

The problem is not that Apples aren't good value for their specific markets, like the iMac and the all in one market. Because of Apple's limited number of products people compare the iMac against all consumer desktops, its against them that they don't fair too well. Another example some people comparing the Macbook Air to laptops nearly twice the size and weight.

The problem is not that Apples aren't good value for their specific markets, like the iMac and the all in one market. Because of Apple's limited number of products people compare the iMac against all consumer desktops, its against them that they don't fair too well. Another example some people comparing the Macbook Air to laptops nearly twice the size and weight.

Some just don't see it.

You're right though, it shouldn't be correct to compare apples to ... hackintoshes and bargain PCs but those that drink the haterade are going to, deal with it. There are other factors involved too, like a typical Mac will last about two years longer than a similarly spec'ed PC and whatever.

I never, ever regret my Apple related purchases because I see it differently. I'm not stupid, there's a reason I (and many others) do it.

Some just don't see it.

You're right though, it shouldn't be correct to compare apples to ... hackintoshes and bargain PCs but those that drink the haterade are going to, deal with it. There are other factors involved too, like a typical Mac will last about two years longer than a similarly spec'ed PC and whatever.

I never, ever regret my Apple related purchases because I see it differently. I'm not stupid, there's a reason I (and many others) do it.

I like this guy.

Preach on.

OSX86 isn't necessarily unstable, I can run it on my desktop will all hardware fully functioning and I never had it crash once. That said, I did have to put extra effort into making it work in the first place, it may have been broken by updates, it's unsupported by Apple (and thus useless for any business or user who requires absolute certainty their machine won't just decide not to boot tomorrow) and a whole lot of hardware is and will remain unsupported (eg: my X-Fi PCIe). Any drivers that do exist for unsupported hardware might not be available in a week's time and while the guys who spit out these community made drivers do a good job, it's not really good enough if you need guaranteed long term support, updates and hardware compatibility.

In short, OSX86 is fun to play with and all, nice if you just want a taster of what OSX is like and what it can do, but ultimately if you want to run OSX you're still going to buy a Mac, sorry.

As for pricing, well, that's the price you pay. If you think it's worth it for your requirements then do whatever makes you happy and buy whatever does the job. If you don't think it's worth it then live and let live, it's not your bank balance and it isn't your machine and again, do whatever you feel is necessary for your computing experience to be satisfactory and don't worry about someone else disagreeing.

EFIX!!!

None of the problems you are describing happen with an Efix hackintosh. I installed OSX on my efix equipped hardware by booting off the genuine OSX CD that came with my real mac mini. I did not have to do anything special outside of making the efix my primary boot device in the bios - beyond that I did the exact same procedure I would do when installing OSX on my mac mini. I have run every update that Apple has sent down the line and they all went off without a hitch - and my hackintosh has never crashed. The only non-stable thing has been the safari 4 beta locking up or simply closing for no good reason. However that has also happened on my Mini. I love OSX and I have been using it as my goto system for most things since I built it.

Regarding the whole value argument, both sides make a valid point. It is really a personal preference for so many reasons. For starters that value of a dollar is not equal for everyone - and that is only partly based on how much they have.

To some people, the extra money is not great enough to even consider, and to everyone else the weight of the consideration is unique - means more or less to one person vs another.

To other people who don't want to mess around with a hackintosh, the ability to run OSX as their OS is worth something.

Then there are the people who want to keep everything in the apple ecosystem, and this connivence to them, holds monetary value.

Finally you have misc emotional reasons, Apple after all is credited for creating what is now known as "Evangelism Marketing"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelism_marketing

People create a strong bond to the brand and it simply feels good when they purchase and use their products.

EFIX!!!

None of the problems you are describing happen with an Efix hackintosh. I installed OSX on my efix equipped hardware by booting off the genuine OSX CD that came with my real mac mini. I did not have to do anything special outside of making the efix my primary boot device in the bios - beyond that I did the exact same procedure I would do when installing OSX on my mac mini. I have run every update that Apple has sent down the line and they all went off without a hitch - and my hackintosh has never crashed. The only non-stable thing has been the safari 4 beta locking up or simply closing for no good reason. However that has also happened on my Mini. I love OSX and I have been using it as my goto system for most things since I built it.

Having heard only of EFiX and not having seen one I can only imagine it's basically a USB stick with EFI emulation software on it (as was suspected around its release time) but as I've no proof I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. However, even if it does do the job, it'll add anything up to £200 to a Hackintosh build depending on where you buy it (the UK supplier wants £170) and really, for a USB stick which makes OSX work a bit better? That's way, way, way over the mark. I'm doing this because I'm cheap, I don't want to drop 200 quid on a USB stick. Nice idea, shame it costs 10x the price it should, I'll just stick with pcefi.

Besides, it still doesn't fix the fact that it isn't now and never will be supported by Apple, and drivers are still a huge problem. Not to mention EFiX only (officially) has limited compatibility when it comes to motherboards and it won't fix any non-motherboard problem you have.

Having heard only of EFiX and not having seen one I can only imagine it's basically a USB stick with EFI emulation software on it (as was suspected around its release time) but as I've no proof I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. However, even if it does do the job, it'll add anything up to £200 to a Hackintosh build depending on where you buy it (the UK supplier wants £170) and really, for a USB stick which makes OSX work a bit better? That's way, way, way over the mark. I'm doing this because I'm cheap, I don't want to drop 200 quid on a USB stick. Nice idea, shame it costs 10x the price it should, I'll just stick with pcefi.

Besides, it still doesn't fix the fact that it isn't now and never will be supported by Apple, and drivers are still a huge problem. Not to mention EFiX only (officially) has limited compatibility when it comes to motherboards and it won't fix any non-motherboard problem you have.

If the efix was simply a usb stick with some software then it would have been cloned a long time ago. Drivers are not a problem as long as your using hardware from the compatibility list. As for the price, it is relative, even with the extra $200 you can still build a machine that will out perform a high end mac pro for half the price. To me, the $200 is a small price to pay to be able to build my own custom mac without having to deal with the boatload of issues that I was having with osx86.

macs, spec for spec, there more expensive

much of the additional cost is for the brand name

apple gets away with it by targeting people who don't understand the value of the hardware

they also add hype and push the idea of style

it is how a company can sell sneakers for $400 while using the same materials and even the same sweat shop and still have people buy it