Macs are still more expensive....

Zimmer

Titles says it all. Macs are more expensive... Oh right you guys have the Apple Software... so PC users have the Hacitosh, it may be a little more work but you save money! I'd be glad for some one to show that this is wrong, in hardware terms only not looks (though I guess design can count, i.e better cooling.) or software.

but hey man isnt it worth the extra 1000 dollars to be trendy and cool. one day i will wake up in the morning to the sound of my iClock, brush my teeth with my iBrush, throw on some Mac Apparel, grab my iPhone, iPod, and Mac Book, then jump in my iCar, head out to work at Apple, then head back to my iHome where i'll watch my Apple tv on my Mac display while my iWife cooks Apples and Macs (mmmm my favorite) then unwind in the iTub, hit the iSack then do it all again the next day. yay im trendy and cool too look i have white headphones and 10000000000000000000000 songs that i'll never be able to finish listening to, and i did it all for double the price.

I don't see what the big deal is if people want to buy into the "i" trend. I personally love my mac and all of my random apple apparel. I didn't buy any of it for the trend aspect of it. I just liked it and still do.

This kind of reminds me of when I was in high school, when I was a sponsored skateboarder. I would get so upset over all the "posers" that would go around with skateboards and do nothing with them. But when I got older and better I realized that what does it even if they are posers or whatever. If people want to spend money on a overly expensive trend to look cool.................who cares?

It dosn't effect you or anyone else but themselves. Let them be ridiculous, and if they want to act smug over a computer ....... Just laugh at them ........ because they are not worth your time anyway.

mac vs pc should never be an issue.

Apple hardware is high quality and you are running the OS legally on the exact hardware which it was designed for, which is a big deal if you use your computer for work within any company.

Funny. All the new MAC's can run on the same PC hardware as windows can. Guess Apple has (not) seen the error of their ways, only they want to charge twice as much for it. I'm not one for flame threads on OS's, but this is not so much about the OS as it is Apple and their rediculous pricing. Im all for using the MAC if you like it*(I personally don't but that is my opinion) but when it comes to charging people an arm and a leg(and your first born) for the hardware, I'll stick with a my PC.

Funny. All the new MAC's can run on the same PC hardware as windows can. Guess Apple has (not) seen the error of their ways, only they want to charge twice as much for it. I'm not one for flame threads on OS's, but this is not so much about the OS as it is Apple and their rediculous pricing. Im all for using the MAC if you like it*(I personally don't but that is my opinion) but when it comes to charging people an arm and a leg(and your first born) for the hardware, I'll stick with a my PC.

Well OSX is the only real alternative to Windows, Linux is still not there, an example if you need one would be, I did an upgrade on Ubuntu which is probably the most usable distro and on reboot it went to black and would not go past it. It had an issue with my Intel graphics, I fixed it but normal people would not have a fucking clue how too.

The medical and military industry are both moving a lot of stuff to Apple hardware as they are fundamentally more secure and reliable than Windows (although they have issues). At the end of the day you can not legally run OSX on anything other than Apple hardware.

Funny how BMW's can go left and right, forwards and backwards. Have a engine and wheels, doors too! But they still cost way more then other cars! BMW doesn't know what it's doing!!

Why do people get all upset that Macs are more expensive? Is it because you want one but can't afford it, so you start arguments saying that are more expensive?, Witch every knows already. Even people that buy Macs!

Why get a BMW when you can get a Honda Civic.?

Funny how BMW's can go left and right, forwards and backwards. Have a engine and wheels, doors too! But they still cost way more then other cars! BMW doesn't know what it's doing!!

Why do people get all upset that Macs are more expensive? Is it because you want one but can't afford it, so you start arguments saying that are more expensive?, Witch every knows already. Even people that buy Macs!

Why get a BMW when you can get a Honda Civic.?

Because the BMW phsyically has more / better features, where as Apple's hardware has no physical advantages to it and they're still charging more. I like OSX and I love the design of Apple hardware, but it's just not worth the money to me. (And no, I'm not telling Apple to lower their prices because obviously it's working well for them so whatever.)

After the latest round of Apple hardware updates, bang for buck has gone down and is too low is some places still. However their laptops are still in a class of their own and are very competitive for what they offer.

OS X offers a great environment to work with and in, where Apple do some things wrong, Microsoft still does a lot more wrong, for instance Apple dependable cycle rate and pricing of OS X, compared to Microsoft erratic cycle and silly pricing scheme with various editions.

If you buy Apple products because they are shiny and look good, its up to you and its fine by me. If you buy Apple products because they have been getting good reviews and they are generally dependable, constructed from high quality components, its up to you and its fine by me.

If you by a cheap Acer laptop for half the price, that offers you 75% of the experience and does most of the things you want, its up to you and its fine by me.

As for OS X being run on PC hardware, I think its a fun exercise and might be a good way for people to have a little play, but in a production environment, you need to know everything's going to work and its going to work well. The fact that Apple makes sure that OS X runs brilliantly on all of the hardware that it ships is a feature worth paying for in my opinion.

Sometimes its worth paying 20% extra for 1% more. For instance when you shut the door on a BMW it feels like a solid bit of metal, on a Toyota it feels like several layers of metal and plastic.

i hear this argument alot, people suggesting that one company is better quality than another. a lot of people claim that lenovo/ibm thinkpads are made with far superior parts compared to dell, hp, or gateway for example, and this is what justifies the 30-50% higher price compared to another laptop from a different company with similar or even better specs. bottom line is when you open up any of these laptops desktops or whatever other device it may be its all the same shit. you'll find motherboards by intel, asus, or gigabyte. you might also find a processor by either intel or amd, hard drive by maxtor, seagate, or western digital. maybe a gpu by nvidia, ati/amd, or integrated. they all buy their cases from 3rd party. even apple. so for me to believe that a mac is better quality than a dell or hp with almost identical internal components from all the same manufacturers is crazy. the maxtor hard drive does not last longer simply because its wrapped in a cool looking case with fruit on the lid. i cant justify ever spending 2500 dollars on a macbook air when i could easily go to dell or hp and get a leet spec laptop that would crush the Mac Air and weighs only 9oz more. and who cares if they have a better warranty (i dont know if they do or not) when you could buy two laptops for the price of one mac and just use the extra in case something ever breaks on your main lappy.

they may look nice but not worth the price. but to each his own. if someone wants to run around drinking designer coffee venti mocha lattes, while they rock their ipods, iphone, and macbooks while they chill at the local hooka lounge or jazz club, thats cool with me.

In general the actual parts might be similar (Apple has Intel making custom parts for them so I doubt its that hard for them to get similar deals from other people), but the way its put together might differ. For example when buying my netbooks I found that the Dell Mini 9 feels a lot more solid than the advent, asus and acer models. True, i only got a 16GB SSD when I could have had something with a 120GB HDD for less but it felt more solid, no case creaks or give. It cost more, but it felt like a better product despite being weaker on paper. Same with my HP2133, its better designed than other similar products.

The Air is so not about the spec and you know it, its about having a fucking cool piece of design you can enjoy owning. I wouldn't buy one myself, because its too expensive for me for what it does, but its still a sexy bit of kit and if I had the cash I would buy one just because of the design.

Before I got my Unibody macbook pro. I was looking at the Dell XPS 1530 (i think 1530) What turned me off? The massive threads about people complaining about bumps in there keyboard, grainy screens, gaps and breaking hinges with in weeks of them getting it, web cam looking like crap. there was other stuff. I get my MBP and there are no problems. Just because Apple doesn't own the factory's there cases are made in doesn't mean they are not made with a high standard. I'd love to see some one compare the unibodys to a dell case, and see what one comes out on top.

This thread is just going to end it badness. I see people make threads like these all the time on other forums and they never end good.

ok.. why is this thread already locked for puffed marshmallow stupidity?

Look we know why OSX runs so good. Because if you made linux or windows or any other O.S. to run on 3 types of hardware instead of 100000 different types and you controlled all the driver specs, then yes, linux or windows would be 1000000x better than it is now...

The other thing.... You can buy a bmw for $65,000 when you can buy a shelby gt500 for $55,000 and blow the everloving snot out of the bmw.. Then again you could buy a 95' chevy cavalier, throw a 3500 supercharged v6 in it, bore and stroke, etc, and blow both of them away for around $25,000.. (though the chevy still wont give street cred).. i kno.. still waiting for mine!!! (no mine is stock tho..)

And the last thing, the macs use intel operon xeon... Server chips made for reliability and stability. Though not always known for speed. This is the other reason why most hackintoshes best the pants (or at least I have heard) of the speed of a mac... though still not that stable.

But here's the thing. You want to compaire computers, someone get the specs/speed/etc of a high end alienware computer and put THAT against a mac and see what happens...

***Edited for her pleasure***

ok.. why is this thread already locked for puffed marshmallow stupidity?

Look we know why OSX runs so good. Because if you made linux or windows or any other O.S. to run on 3 types of hardware instead of 100000 different types and you controlled all the driver specs, then yes, linux or windows would be 1000000x better than it is now...

The other thing.... You can buy a bmw for $65,000 when you can buy a shelby gt500 for $55,000 and blow the everloving snot out of the bmw.. Then again you could buy a 95' chevy cavalier, throw a 3500 supercharged v6 in it, bore and stroke, etc, and blow both of them away for around $25,000.. (though the chevy still wont give street cred).. i kno.. still waiting for mine!!! (no mine is stock tho..)

And the last thing, the macs use intel opterons... Server chips made for reliability and stability. Though not always known for speed. This is the other reason why most hackintoshes best the pants (or at least I have heard) of the speed of a mac... though still not that stable.

But here's the thing. You want to compaire computers, someone get the specs/speed/etc of a high end alienware computer and put THAT against a mac and see what happens...

AMD= opteron

intel=xeon :P

i hear this argument alot, people suggesting that one company is better quality than another. a lot of people claim that lenovo/ibm thinkpads are made with far superior parts compared to dell, hp, or gateway for example, and this is what justifies the 30-50% higher price compared to another laptop from a different company with similar or even better specs. bottom line is when you open up any of these laptops desktops or whatever other device it may be its all the same shit. you'll find motherboards by intel, asus, or gigabyte. you might also find a processor by either intel or amd, hard drive by maxtor, seagate, or western digital. maybe a gpu by nvidia, ati/amd, or integrated. they all buy their cases from 3rd party. even apple. so for me to believe that a mac is better quality than a dell or hp with almost identical internal components from all the same manufacturers is crazy. the maxtor hard drive does not last longer simply because its wrapped in a cool looking case with fruit on the lid. i cant justify ever spending 2500 dollars on a macbook air when i could easily go to dell or hp and get a leet spec laptop that would crush the Mac Air and weighs only 9oz more. and who cares if they have a better warranty (i dont know if they do or not) when you could buy two laptops for the price of one mac and just use the extra in case something ever breaks on your main lappy.

they may look nice but not worth the price. but to each his own. if someone wants to run around drinking designer coffee venti mocha lattes, while they rock their ipods, iphone, and macbooks while they chill at the local hooka lounge or jazz club, thats cool with me.

You could not be more wrong about who builds the laptop components. Apple designs and builds the laptop motherboard and for the same reason why with desktop motherboards that the prices vary greatly is that you can have the chance to use poor electrical components or good ones.

The cases are designed and manufactured by apple, all the unibody macbooks are made out of aluminum, where as the majority of PC laptops are still made out of plastic, also because of the unique design Apple has the ability to offer better strength and a more solid feel to the laptops.

If you can buy a better spec laptop than the Macbook Air for only 9oz more, then your missing the point. You can't, part of the Air's specification is its weight, which you've just said you can't build. You don't need a power house in your bag all the time, not having a broken back is more important to some people.

You could not be more wrong about who builds the laptop components. Apple designs and builds the laptop motherboard and for the same reason why with desktop motherboards that the prices vary greatly is that you can have the chance to use poor electrical components or good ones.

The cases are designed and manufactured by apple, all the unibody macbooks are made out of aluminum, where as the majority of PC laptops are still made out of plastic, also because of the unique design Apple has the ability to offer better strength and a more solid feel to the laptops.

If you can buy a better spec laptop than the Macbook Air for only 9oz more, then your missing the point. You can't, part of the Air's specification is its weight, which you've just said you can't build. You don't need a power house in your bag all the time, not having a broken back is more important to some people.

ok i hear what youre saying but lets just compare whats available and for how much real quick. Apple vs. Dell round 1

macbook air

Specifications

• 1.86GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 128GB Solid State Drive
  • Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive
  • None
  • Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide
  • None
  • None
  • None
  • None
  • None
  • Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
  • Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter
  • Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
  • Apple USB Ethernet Adapter
  • Apple USB Modem
  • None
  • Apple Remote
  • 3.0lbs
  • From 0.16 to 0.76 inches thick
  • None
  • None
  • None
Show 0 more Close

// price before shipping $2,852.00

Dell xps m1330

My ComponentsIntel® Core™ 2 Duo T9300 (2.5GHz/800Mhz FSB/6MB cache)Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-bitTuxedo BlackMicrosoft Works3Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote DiagnosisSlim and Light LED Display with VGA Webcam4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHzSpeed: 320GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) with Free Fall SensorCD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GSDell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-cardBuilt-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)85Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)High Definition Audio 2.0My AccessoriesMcAfee SecurityCenter 15-months

Biometric Fingerprint Reader

full brushed aluminum case lid tuxedo black.3.97lbs

0.87 to 1.33 inches thick

price before shipping and/or any rebates $1,598.00

i just dont see where the extra 1300 dollars is in the macbook air maybe im missing something.

And the last thing, the macs use intel operon xeon... Server chips made for reliability and stability. Though not always known for speed. This is the other reason why most hackintoshes best the pants (or at least I have heard) of the speed of a mac... though still not that stable.

1: Apple make use of Core 2 processors for much of the line of commercial machines. The only machine which uses Xeons is the Mac Pro, which is a dual quad-core Xeon.

2: Xeons are just as fast as Core 2 processors, the stability comes from better chipsets, the use of higher grade components through out the system and FB-DIMMS.

3: Hackintoshes are unstable because they are running hacked copies of the OS on unsupported hardware.

OSX86 isn't necessarily unstable, I can run it on my desktop will all hardware fully functioning and I never had it crash once. That said, I did have to put extra effort into making it work in the first place, it may have been broken by updates, it's unsupported by Apple (and thus useless for any business or user who requires absolute certainty their machine won't just decide not to boot tomorrow) and a whole lot of hardware is and will remain unsupported (eg: my X-Fi PCIe). Any drivers that do exist for unsupported hardware might not be available in a week's time and while the guys who spit out these community made drivers do a good job, it's not really good enough if you need guaranteed long term support, updates and hardware compatibility.

In short, OSX86 is fun to play with and all, nice if you just want a taster of what OSX is like and what it can do, but ultimately if you want to run OSX you're still going to buy a Mac, sorry.

As for pricing, well, that's the price you pay. If you think it's worth it for your requirements then do whatever makes you happy and buy whatever does the job. If you don't think it's worth it then live and let live, it's not your bank balance and it isn't your machine and again, do whatever you feel is necessary for your computing experience to be satisfactory and don't worry about someone else disagreeing.

ok i hear what youre saying but lets just compare whats available and for how much real quick. Apple vs. Dell round 1

i just dont see where the extra 1300 dollars is in the macbook air maybe im missing something.

Well the fact that your Air spec has a SSD and the Dell spec doesn't, makes the price very different.

Over in the UK, the Dell Studio XPS 13 costs about £800 where the Air costs around £1200.

The dell weighs 2.2Kg where the Air weighs 1.36Kg.

The dells dimensions are Width: 12.56" (319mm), Height: 0.88" (22.55mm) front / 1.35" (34.34mm) back, Depth: 9.3" (236.12mm)

Where the Airs dimensions are Height: 0.4-1.94 cm (0.16-0.76 inch) Width: 32.5 cm (12.74 inches) Depth: 22.7 cm (8.9 inches)

So for your extra money, you get laptop which weighs nearly 1Kg less and is nearly less than half the physical size.

Well the fact that your Air spec has a SSD and the Dell spec doesn't, makes the price very different.

Over in the UK, the Dell Studio XPS 13 costs about £800 where the Air costs around £1200.

The dell weighs 2.2Kg where the Air weighs 1.36Kg.

The dells dimensions are Width: 12.56" (319mm), Height: 0.88" (22.55mm) front / 1.35" (34.34mm) back, Depth: 9.3" (236.12mm)

Where the Airs dimensions are Height: 0.4-1.94 cm (0.16-0.76 inch) Width: 32.5 cm (12.74 inches) Depth: 22.7 cm (8.9 inches)

So for your extra money, you get laptop which weighs nearly 1Kg less and is nearly less than half the physical size.

the dell i compared was only .79 lbs heavier than the mac book air, it also had the option for a 256gig ssd for 400 dollars more or a 128gig ssd for 200 more. if i wanted i could have added more leetspecs to the dell but even these specs crushed the macbook so there was no need.

basically everyone knows that when you buy a mac you pay more and you get less, and osx is no excuse either, everyone complains about microsoft and the price of windows, but i cant see paying 500-2000 dollars more for a weaker machine just because it looks cool and runs osx. why anyone would is beyond me.