Panera Blocks Hak5

linton

I just wanted to rant about this because I think it's wrong when public hotspots block your access to certain websites and don't put a little "*Access Restricted" notice of some sort below "FREE WI-FI" on their sign. What's next? You log onto a hotspot and must view a series of ads or videos every XXX minutes to continue your "free" access?

China blocks your access and it's on the national news ... Panera does it and it's ok?

:huh:

They have every right to limit your web use however they want, its their service

As for blocking attempts to learn, just look at the U.S. governments policy on some types of knowledge, actually some of the things on this website/forum would be illegal in a number of countries, so by blocking it they are preventing you from breaking the law. So you should start thanking them and go back to facebook instead of a 'lame ass' rant about someone doing and providing you a service.

I agree, this is a good learning session right here just waiting to happen, but at the same time, I must agree with stingwray, because It is their hot spot. Especially if it's free.

And as far as legality goes that would be like saying if you went to a friends house and tried to see pr0n but it was blocked because the person doesnt want his kids looking at it and you bitched about it.

oh and BTW!

What's next? You log onto a hotspot and must view a series of ads or videos every XXX minutes to continue your "free" access?

This already happens on free internet access and/or even paid access if it is a fon router free/or pay wifi spot.

And ALSO, so what about it? It's free! And to top it off that just goes to show your must live under a rock because what do you see on every page including this one on the web?!

THAT'S WHAT MAKES THE WEB WORLD TURN

Dunno who told you but the internet is not a bunch of people who have $4,500,000 setups who just want to be charitable and give you the internet... sheesh.

OH! and one more more thing!

Panera is NOT a web access service, it is a smart switching global interfacing routing switch(as per the last 2 hak5 ep.s). You just made it sound like it's a web service and it's not...

So next time you say "Panera Blocks Hak5, they block attempts to learn!" what you should really be saying is:

"I went to a free hotspot and they blocked hak5, I guess cause it contains the word hacker or malicious content in the metatags, and that sucks. So these people who administrate the routers, switches, and/or servers of this public hotspot must not know about hak5 or else they would clear that from their blacklist. And oh yeah, they are using a Panera switch."

"Panera" is a chain of restaurants that offer a coffee shop (Think Starbucks) kind of feel but sell food as well (soups and sandwiches) and are mostly known for their wide variates of bread hence "Panera Bread Co. (Or Saint Louis Bread Co. If you live in St louis Mo.) the switch is "Napera" Darren just keeps pronouncing it wrong (On purpose?) in the episodes.

Napera ftw. Can't you bypass the site filtering using a virtual desktop such as g.ho.st ? Censornet and Sonicwall didn't automatically block ghost. We've had employees accessing the site a few months before we figured what it was. Im not exactly sure but I think it caches the site on ghosts servers, you just get a screen...its like a long distance thin client. I tried it using the trial but the internet access still went on through my pc. Hopefully the full version has their servers doing all the work and you just get a screen.

It would be interesting if virtual desktops get popular. Less hardware needed, just more bandwidth. Unfortunately who knows who has access to your files if you save them on their side.

I have a hunch many celebrities that use these are so prone to having their files looked through.

Is there really such a need to access Hak5 at a sandwich shop, so many places offer wifi now so you can probably move to the shop next door. (I know starbucks don't block it).

well thats not any fun now is it. you wouldnt learn anything that way either.

well thats not any fun now is it. you wouldnt learn anything that way either.

It teaches the lesson that WarGames tried to teach, "Everything will be fine if you hack into a military computer"... erm no.... its "Theres a time when you should give up" (even the computer learned it :P)

"Panera" is a chain of restaurants that offer a coffee shop (Think Starbucks) kind of feel but sell food as well (soups and sandwiches) and are mostly known for their wide variates of bread hence "Panera Bread Co. (Or Saint Louis Bread Co. If you live in St louis Mo.) the switch is "Napera" Darren just keeps pronouncing it wrong (On purpose?) in the episodes.

***Shakes Fist @ Darren***

D is messing up my vocab!