build an xbox 360 from the ground up

graphiteg4

I am interested in for the sake of doing to build mine own Xbox 360 from scratch. I have done a little home work so far but not a whole lot. interested in what you think before i put some effort into it. also, on the matter of building one I haven't really found a whole a lot on the subject. mostly on modify xboxes right out of the package. rather i want to build it right from the beginning starting with the hardware and if need be modify the xbox 360 software to run on it. after all isn't the Xbox an old mac tower runnig windows.

What i am looking for.

1) does any one no if any one has attempted to do this and succeeded and were the plans can be found.

(whether its a Xbox like machine or some sort of virtual Xbox running on a machine)

2) reasons why this wouldn't work

3) your own two cents

it might just be a waste of time and resources but hey im just a lonely computer science major trying to kill his sring break.

Never heard of it being done, but it will probably cost a lot more then a actual xbox. Microsoft loses money on every xbox that is sold, same for Sony. The Wii is probably the only system that makes money, But you are just building a PC, I see no point to this. The point of getting a xbox is because its cheaper then a PC and smaller.

true but because you built it your self it can be multifunctional and not just a xbox.

also this might be a fallacy in this situation but many cases especially in the computer world you can build your own kick ass machine for half the cost of you might pay if you were to purchase it from a dealer such as HP or Apple. also were is Microsoft loosing the money. i doubt that it is the hardware of the machine itself but rather the hundreds of man hours that were put into it to build the Xbox OS and platform.

but i don't know ill have to do some more Home work on the matter and u don't know until some one tries.

graphiteg, they lose money on each sale but they make it back up in licensing per game. Also, even if you were to acquire all the parts necessary (which will be VERY expensive because you're not buying bulk), you still wouldnt have the firmware to flash or know how to lock the hdd or a bunch of other shit.

IMHO, possible but totally not worth it.

Yeah like g-ram said they make money in licensing from games. Do you really think a system that powerful only cost $200? Hell Sony was losing money when they where selling them for $600 or what ever it was when it first came out.

If you want to build a xbox just build a gameing PC and right xbox on it.

1) does any one no if any one has attempted to do this and succeeded and were the plans can be found.

Not as far as I'm aware.

Cost, part sourcing, time, your ability to assemble a machine that complicated in any space smaller than a wardrobe - those solder points aren't exactly big.

3) your own two cents

Interesting idea, but I don't think it'll work. There's too much to buy, make and assemble and you have access to none of Microsoft's proprietary code required to boot the machine or run games on it.

it might just be a waste of time and resources but hey im just a lonely computer science major trying to kill his sring break.

You could find more productive ways to kill time. I like the fact you're aiming high and perhaps a large project would keep you occupied, but try something a little (read: a lot) less proprietary and a lot less locked down. Even building your own Linux based cellphone would be easier and cheaper than this.

I am interested in for the sake of doing to build mine own Xbox 360 from scratch. I have done a little home work so far but not a whole lot. interested in what you think before i put some effort into it. also, on the matter of building one I haven't really found a whole a lot on the subject. mostly on modify xboxes right out of the package. rather i want to build it right from the beginning starting with the hardware and if need be modify the xbox 360 software to run on it. after all isn't the Xbox an old mac tower runnig windows.

What i am looking for.

(whether its a Xbox like machine or some sort of virtual Xbox running on a machine)

3) your own two cents

Is this not just you want to build a computer and run computer games on it. Surely the computer you are writing your posts on can accomplish these things?

SAve yoru money, buy a real 360, make a modded case for it, be done with it. The most I have seen people do is turn laptops into 360's(just a custom bultin screen and case really..) or make their own special cases for cooling and noise reduction. Probably a better idea to make your own case anyway so that you don't get the red ring of death and can get some proper cooling anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a lot of console modding in my high school days mostly with Sony's consoles and I've never heard of anyone fabricating their own parts. If you're looking for a cheaper solution probably the best thing you could do is find the individual replacement parts online and build it into your own case. Then really you would only need the mobo, dvd drive, and all the cables to hook it up. There's so many dam screws in an XBox so it wouldn't be hard to mount it to an ATX case from the looks of it and you could cool it way better in a case like that anyway.

I actually want to do this soon and just build it into a custom case so I can play on XBL. Just one piece of info about the XB360 is that it uses a floating point ground on the DVD drive instead of a wired ground, they use a piece of thick gauge tinfoil glued to the DVD drive and the frame.

Well if you like to make your own 360 you will save some bucks but not much... I work As a Tech for PlayNtrade Video Game store... Just one thing you need to make sure when you get a mobo you should get the DVD drive that came with it because in the firmware on the dvd drive they have a code like a "CD key"... and it does not match the mobo "CD key" the dvd drive is crap... and you can not load any thing from dvd or cd....

hmm, Good idea, But hard to do. Cz X Box has many many parts, which are different from Normal Computer and video configuration, so I think its way better to buy new,

Reason

1 - You may fail, If failed, Loose lot of money.

2 - Doesn't get the original quality, Graphics, and performance.

3 - And compatibility and copyright issues may occur.

I also do may experiments, Bt I want do things like this.. Its Too risky.

If you are willing to do I hope you may succeed. Good Luck.

the only 2 uses of modding a xbox that are useful and will save you money is buying your own hard drive and modding it so it can go into the xbox or modding it 2 play your (backups) *wink wink*. IF you build your own i can guarantee the parts will be an ass 2 find and they will cost you a fortune.

O yeah just to make everything clear Microsoft does not loss any money when they sell an xbox they break even. Then they make money from game licensing. Nintendo everytime they sell a Wii makes 5$ (not much i know )and sony losses money everytime they make a ps3. All console makers make most of there money by licensing games.

there are some things that are meant 2 be built PC,giant antennas and some things like laptops that are just a waste of money. Im not saying its impossible im just saying that its a waste of time and money and i dont think anyone has ever built one from strach. The mods that are the most extreme are like case mods or liquid cooling never beyond that.

Hope i helped

the only 2 uses of modding a xbox that are useful and will save you money is buying your own hard drive and modding it so it can go into the xbox or modding it 2 play your (backups) *wink wink*. IF you build your own i can guarantee the parts will be an ass 2 find and they will cost you a fortune.

O yeah just to make everything clear Microsoft does not loss any money when they sell an xbox they break even. Then they make money from game licensing. Nintendo everytime they sell a Wii makes 5$ (not much i know )and sony losses money everytime they make a ps3. All console makers make most of there money by licensing games.

there are some things that are meant 2 be built PC,giant antennas and some things like laptops that are just a waste of money. Im not saying its impossible im just saying that its a waste of time and money and i dont think anyone has ever built one from strach. The mods that are the most extreme are like case mods or liquid cooling never beyond that.

Hope i helped

I don't think cost made a factor. I think it's just straight up impossible no matter how much money one has -- there are really specific parts that will never be purchasable.

According to leaked documentation from Nintendo distributors the Wii only costs US $ 158.30 to make.

Graphic chip 29.60

CPU 13.00

DRAM 7.80

Optical disk drive 31.00

Power supply 11.30

Manufacturing cost 19.50

Cost total 158.30

Wholesale price 195.99

So they make around $40 per console, the retailers make about $50 - stocking/shipping fees.

u have 2 factor in shipping and tax and what not

im talking about if parts are not available u can get them custom made for a arm and a leg or if ur crazy enough then u can make it urself trust me ive seen the impossible done!!!