Offline bandwidth tester

Darkmist!

hello all. i was wondering if anyone knew of a bandwidth testing program that can flood my network between 2 hosts and record how much data went across the wire.

i know this sounds like a DOS attack but i am trying to show the real life difference in network types.. cat5, cat5e, cat6, fiber, etc.

if you have to have matching programs on the same network to enable the flood thats fine. im just working on a final project

thanks all!

doesnt work in windows. i get forward host lookup failed. im new to netcat, sorry for being a noob

You'll probably want to test various operating systems as different kernel versions and different OS concepts can differ performance. The five main ones to try will be Windows XP and Vista, FreeBSD, Ubuntu and OS X.

My first post was more of a hint, if you take the output of /dev/urandom (which is the random number generator in Linux) and use netcat to fire that at another computer, then monitor network activity on the remote computer it will give you a fair idea of how much and width is available.

The correct way to put /dev/urandom in to netcat would probably be cat /dev/urandom | netcat <options to say "sent to address">.

As netcat will just send the data jammed in around the IP headers, there is no question of application layer protocolls getting in the way.

It would also be interesting to see if using a crossover cable or a switch made any difference (the switch should be slower).

Not sure how you will achieve what /dev/urandom does on Windows, but it won't be a problem on Ubuntu, FreeBSD or OS X.

thanks for the info. i can just boot from a thumb drive and install these programs and run them like a live CD so i can run them from the lab machines

thanks for the info sir

A windows program that will move 100 megabits to another PC? NetCPS, I think I found it lurking these forums, works pretty good.

http://www.netchain.com/NetCPS/

Otherwise just use ping with the size option for big packets, like -l 9999 in windows.