Questions about going to a hacker con...

h3%5kr3w

Ok, here's my delimma. I have put in some thought, and me and my really cool instructor (he's 24... im 28) talked about going to phreaknic 13. But do I know enough to go?

It's funny, I never really had this thought before.

I have always been in the know at least generally about technology in a few different ways, but alot of the people that go to this thing are hardcore with a whole lot of stuff in a higher level than me.. me thinks.

I just don't want to go, and end up basicly saying nothing to no one about anything. I know about low level hacks, man in the middle, etc, I can do one or two minor things with hex code, I know my way around a linux box, I know alot about routing, and things of that nature, I have a basic knowledge of vb and even though I passed C++ w/a B+ I dont remember anything.

My major thing is, would it be cool for me to go (as in fun, meet people, learn, etc) or should I just stay home and try learning more myself before hand. I know I want to learn alot more about hacking. Especially about route poisioning, which I can understand a little as of now.

Maybe I am not the only one that feels this way? Please elaborate w/me.

I've never been to a con, but just go, from what I've heard and seen they are about learning new stuff and show others new stuff, if everyone new all the same stuff and where all the same skill level, it would probably be pretty boring.

Just my two cents.

Thats my local con! I volunteered last year and plan on doing it again. Im shy so volunteering helps me get out and talk to people. Everyone there is awesome, just dont through a chair off the top of the building...

The first thing you have to realise is that there are people who know alot, but you cant let that deter you. You go to these becaus you enjoy the atomsphere, the people, and mainly just have a passion for this(plus there are alot of great speakers). Not only do these events give you ideas, but they also help to teach you... I didnt know how metasploit worked until operat0r put on a little demo for the owning of the boxes.

If anything just email me and we can meet up. It easier to get out and introduce your self when you are in a group. Cheers, hope to see you there.

Maybe I am not the only one that feels this way? Please elaborate w/me.

Nope you are not alone. I also feel that way.

I also would like to go to a con but not sure of where to start. is there a n00b con? :)

Also does anyone know of any cons in south central U.S. All the cons I can find are about 12 hours of driving away.

Nope you are not alone. I also feel that way.

I also would like to go to a con but not sure of where to start. is there a n00b con? :)

Also does anyone know of any cons in south central U.S. All the cons I can find are about 12 hours of driving away.

Wow, sounds just like me man. I'm in mississippi, and the reason why I thought about phreaknic anyway, is because it's the closest. It's either go to texas, miami fl (a hell of a lot farther away that people think) or tennissee which is about 8 1/2 hours for me. I'm thinking alot about going. Funds would not be an issue, and I am excited to go.

Wow, sounds just like me man. I'm in mississippi, and the reason why I thought about phreaknic anyway, is because it's the closest. It's either go to texas, miami fl (a hell of a lot farther away that people think) or tennissee which is about 8 1/2 hours for me. I'm thinking alot about going. Funds would not be an issue, and I am excited to go.

I've been going to defcon for a couple years now. YOU know plenty to go to the con. There are noobs there, lots of em. And there are geniuses there, but they are not NEARLY as outspoken as the noobs. If you know the basics of networking or programing, you will enjoy the hell out of it. It's also one of the cheapest cons out there, entrance was $120 last year. Vegas is fun, as to be expected, but the con is also fun. Super nerdy!

defcon.org

I say get off ya ass and go mate, we don't get to much con-age down here in oz so you may as well lap it up. I have done a few meets with some local folk and I would class myself as the n00b out of the group. With that said the 1337 people refrain from flaming in a face to face enviroment and in all case's they are more than happy to show you the ropes an awnser any questions no matter how stupid they sound. Most people get a kick out of sharing shit with there fellow geeks and enjoy lending a helping hand.

Plus you have the added bonus of Dingle's offer in which case I say go for it and hit the booze afterwoods. XD

The best thing about cons in the social aspect. Don't be afraid to meet people and ask what they're working on. I've met some of the coolest people I know that way.

after reading all your posts, that definitely motivates me to go :D

Dingle already sent me some info on what he would like to work on, and I think we could collab. and bring something to light.

BTW, what of the hak5 crew? Anybody know if they will be there this year? That would be like the icing on top of the cake for me. After doing some more research into the event I have even maybe struck a spell of technolost to get back into some programming on the side.

Thank you all!

I have attended Defcon for the last 5 years and I love every minute that I'm there, it is a good experience to be around people that have the same interest and drive that you do. I all ways tell people that they should go it is worth the time.

You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain by going. Who cares what you know, because no matter what you know, someone always knows more than you. Just go(if you can afford it).

after reading all your posts, that definitely motivates me to go :D

Dingle already sent me some info on what he would like to work on, and I think we could collab. and bring something to light.

BTW, what of the hak5 crew? Anybody know if they will be there this year? That would be like the icing on top of the cake for me. After doing some more research into the event I have even maybe struck a spell of technolost to get back into some programming on the side.

Thank you all!

You should go to defcon, it's worth it. I watched a talk last year on layer 2 network attacks, and one on BGP attacks. I thought I'd see something new and cool with layer 2 attacks but no, it was networking 101 for beginners. They talked about MITM stuff, and ARP spoofing, and flooding a switch to make a hub. That stuff was interesting and relevant when switches came out and replaced hubs. Which was how many thousand years ago? But the BGP talk was cool, the guy showed how you hi-jack a BGP route and reroute internet traffic right into you lap, now that's some ownage.

Point is, the talks run the spectrum from super basic to super complex. There's something for everyone!

this feedback is awesome. Again another 1up to all you folks in this community, for you make it what it is. I would like to go to def-con but it's too far away and too costly. Once I am out of college this wont be an issue for me, but for now it's like i'm running rip v1 (shortest distance only), but I have to think too about how much things are when I get there. Anyone know a general rule about things like BYOB, how much alcahol is there, how much food is, and etc.? That is what is going to add up to me. I'm going to drive cause for me it's a hell of alot cheaper than by plane (plus i'm kinda squemish about flying myself..)

I'm in the same situation regarding my assessment of my own knowledge. Cons are almost unknown in the UK and I'd really like to visit some of the major ones in the US. I will one day!

I guess that even if I were to attend, I'd be inclined to hover and watch/ask others about what they're up to so I could soak up as much as possible. My skills are on rung 2 of a long ladder and I know that they'd be trumped easily by the majority of other attendees. The philosophy that I have is that everyone has to start somewhere ... and that's the bottom of the ladder

I haven't been to a con before as Iain said in the UK they are pretty much unheard of so I can't say how other people will react to your level of knowledge; but in my opinion you should go if you have the opportunity, if someone does have any smart ass remarks about your level of knowledge just tell them to do one, if they want to judge you because you may not know as much about something as they do then they aren't worth your time.

Just go and enjoy being around the decent people who are keen to share their knowledge and have a good time meeting new people :)

I was hoping to go to Defcon this year but as always money is an issue :( Costs a considerable amount to get from the UK to Vegas

If you don't think your l337 enough then you should refrain from signing up to be a speaker/presenter ;) By all means you should go though! You will learn a ton and meet a bunch of like minded people.

I suck. It's true, I do. I was actually planning to start a podcast series answering questions just like this which would've potentially included interviews with seasoned con-goers and speakers but my lack of ability to follow up on projects thwarted my plans somewhat. I might attempt to revive the idea and spark talks with the guys I was discussing it with again to see what we can do, it seems like it would be quite a useful thing to have available. I won't promise anything but I'll keep you up to date if it's going to happen.

oh yeah! I would definitely be bringing my laptop, that is not even an option but a necessity! NO!! I absolutely would not be a speaker. I definitely lack in that state. As far as a project goes though, if me and dingle iron something out on this, then if someone asks something we dont know, it's best to just be truthful, but find if we can collab. on it. Hell that's how you learn more anyways.

Hearing from everyone else and watching the hackers are people too documentary, I have definitely changed my perspective of a con. I always thought you just had to know your shiz and eat your 1337135 everyday or else you would get singled out and booo'ed out within a split second, but know I see that it's just a bunch of knowledgable people having fun and trying to learn things together which makes me feel 100000000% better about it. The only issue as of now is money... My wife had to buy a car yesterday cause hers crapped out, and she in the advanced nursing program (basically it's like a 2 year course squeezed into a year) and she's only able to miss 2 times, third time your out and thats if there's a damn good reason why you missed the first two, and we live relatively far away so having an unstable car is out of the question, so now it's going to be pretty rough till she gets out... she gets out in july (their school schedule is totally different from everyone else's) so as of now I do plan to go, but it all depends on how it starts looking in a few months from now....

Dingle, also this does not mean I dont want to collab on a project, just that I may not be able to go, but would love to contribute, hell if I cant go just tell them you did it all :P