looking for bulk mp4 to mp3 converter

brofix

I'm looking for a bulk mp4 to mp3 converter as my portable players do not play mp4s, and that is what results from the delightful work of PandoraSaver, which will encode on the fly but not in turbo mode. I've done some searching, not to much avail. ConvertMP4toMP3 does a nice if slow job, but does not appear to work across directories or be set up to handle volume. I guess it goes without saying that I'd be very happy with only the audio part of the file.

Buy a new iPod, that's what I did. I got a 16 gb refurbished Touch for $229 from the Apple store. It arrived fingerprint and scratch free, sealed in a new box with all the accessories and only took 5 days to get here. It plays all the mp4's, shows the album art and handles the id tags without any conversions needed. Good luck.

Thanks Z, I used your first release for most of my time-shifting, although I recently upgraded to version 1005. Very Nice!

So one needn't even change the file extensions from mp4 to aac for the apple products (generally) to play them?

My searches for non-apple (for me this translates to non-proprietary and less pricey) players which handle mp4s has turned up zilch. This is a shocker, frankly. I'd appreciate someone straightening me out on this.

I should note that iPods, evidently, do not support AACplus (the encoding that Pandora and thus pandorasaver uses) much like iTunes does not. On top of that, iTunes is bloody minded about the whole thing and refuses to put music on it that does not have .m4a extension (suppose there is no reason to not change it, however.)

So, the end result is yes, an iPod will play AAC files, but it can't play AACplus files properly as apple does not support SBR (end result - they are missing all highs. I would not call that playing well.)

This in from GP:

Today I let Turbo mode download 6 more songs for me, I added them to my itunes library, then transfered them to my ipod touch, they played fine and the 2 files that had album art showed it on both itunes and ipod. Extension was mp4. I will say that upon further exploration, the Fiddler method does a poor job of assigning proper artwork to mp4 files, (but fine for mp3's), it uses the same artwork for multiple artists. G.P.

This in from GP:

It is fixed in new version (new as of 10 days or so ago)- this was a flaw relating to using a flat directory structure (ie. not organizing saved files). The mp3s were fine as it didn't need to save the file to disk first to embed it.

A q- the files played on the iPod touch - did they have highs? there will be a clear difference if a file has highs (SBR supported) or not (sounds like a 64kb mp3 - iPod nano did this, as well as itunes)

• 1 month later...

Just a note, got a phone that uses windows mobile, with WMP mobile 10 it supports AAC files from pandora and as far as i can tell on the phone's built in speaker is correctly decoding SBR. So, add Windows mobile devices to the list. I wonder if this includes that microsoft mp3 player?