Rainbow tables.

Fortuna

I dont really understand rainbow tables, i've been trying to figure what they are for a while but honestly all i can seem to find out is that they're used to help crack passwords and hashes, does anyone have a nice website or video that could explain in more depth for someone like me that is not in the know?

Thanks,

Fortuna.

I dont really understand rainbow tables, i've been trying to figure what they are for a while but honestly all i can seem to find out is that they're used to help crack passwords and hashes, does anyone have a nice website or video that could explain in more depth for someone like me that is not in the know?

Thanks,

Fortuna.

Easiest way to explain it is, somebody else did all the brute force work on (for example) the MD5 algorithm (or lanman hashes or whatever) and save the results. Now all your computer has to do is compare the unknown hash it has to the list and find the match. It's much less time consuming and processor intensive. Time-memory trade off is the name of this concept.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_table

I started out with cain and abel. What you do is download it :P and look in the installed directory. There is a wingen(cant think of the name) executable in there. Run that exe and choose the type of table you want made, ntlm, lm, md5, sha1, ect. Let that run for a while and keep building tables. Once you get a hast then load it into cain and right click, import table, and it will use it. Easy as that. Remember for different hashs you are going to need different tables.

Experience is the best teacher.

I started out with cain and abel. What you do is download it :P and look in the installed directory. There is a wingen(cant think of the name) executable in there. Run that exe and choose the type of table you want made, ntlm, lm, md5, sha1, ect. Let that run for a while and keep building tables. Once you get a hast then load it into cain and right click, import table, and it will use it. Easy as that. Remember for different hashs you are going to need different tables.

Experience is the best teacher.

Winrtgen (Windows Rainbow Table Generator)

But a fair warning, it takes FOREVER!

Oh okay cool, i've had cain and abel before but not found much use for it, is there anything/anywhere i can read or watch a video on examples of when and how to use this?

How and when to use Winrtgen? You would only want to create your own rainbow tables when it's absolutely necessary. You should be able to easily find and download rainbow tables of all different shapes and sizes.

Have you tried reading all of the help files for Cain and Able? Read at least the Wikipedia entry on rainbow tables? Do you understand what a hashed password is? If not, the first step is educating yourself on these things. There is no such thing as becoming a great programmer, or hacker, or anything without doing a lot of reading and educating. If you're really interested in knowing how to use a tool, the first thing you should do is read the help file.

Not trying to be funny, but this is sage advice. Nothing happens overnight.