My robot minion

kevinisageek

A while ago I came across an XKCD comic that made me very excited. There and then I started work on building a robot. Coded a (very) rough draft in python in an afternoon.

A while later I managed to get my hands on an arduino which I am using as the interface between a computer and the robot. I also got a remote controlled tank thing along with a headset which is being used for another project.

I attempted to reverse engineer the tank's circuitry but gave up once I came across an arduino motor controller. The controller makes it VERY easy to control standard DC motors, stepper motors and servos, much easier than the Phidgits thing Darren is using. Takes only 4 lines of code to make a motor run.

#include <AFMotor.h>
AF_DCMotor motor(2, MOTOR12_64KHZ); // create motor #2, 64KHz pwm
motor.setSpeed(200);     // set the speed to 200/255
motor.run(FORWARD);

(Code assembled from LadyAda's motor shield documentation which has a full example)

The robot segment also gave me the idea to make my robot web controlled. I have an interface written in php talking to the python code but the server software (nginx) doesn't have permission to talk to the serial port (damn security).

So thats one of my projects. For those who are interested, a full log is available at my site.

Thoughts/questions/suggestions/flames?

use an L239D for motor control... lot cheaper. May want to make ur own arduino board 5$ arduino better than 30+$ one

make flamethrower for it

Your Avatar makes me want to vomit after watching it. I get motion sickness just from the bobbing heads...lol