March '09 Desktops

Mark Manching

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really love the simplicity of your desktops Dr0p. Would it be possible for you to list all the stuff you use?. ( What launch Panel, CPU Monitor, etc...)

WM: Openbox

Panel: Tint2

Terminal: urxvt

IRC: irssi

Stats: conky

Music Player: mpd

dr0p, any advise for a ubuntu noob to configure conky? I installed it and found a thread with examples of a .conkyrc file, ect.. but got errors when i tried to install / run the new script. What programming language is that? Pseudo code?

I also found this site to help customize yalls ubuntu / linux which helped me and may help other linux noobs

http://gnome-look.org/

and Mark Manching i see nothing wrong with that desktop looks pretty pimp lol

dr0p, any advise for a ubuntu noob to configure conky? I installed it and found a thread with examples of a .conkyrc file, ect.. but got errors when i tried to install / run the new script. What programming language is that? Pseudo code?

I also found this site to help customize yalls ubuntu / linux which helped me and may help other linux noobs

http://gnome-look.org/

and Mark Manching i see nothing wrong with that desktop looks pretty pimp lol

If you really want to customize how your desktop looks, you're gonna have to drop using distrobutions that force specific window managers and desktop environments on you, and yes, I know that you can change your WM on X\K\Ubuntu but it's a pain in the ass <_< Anyways...

conky retrieves system information, and then displays what you ask for, such as CPU usage, free space on a partition, etc.; it parses the .conkyrc file in your home directory (unless otherwise specified) using its own basic syntax which you can pick up just by looking at one or two example configs, or by reading up on the documentation. The conky settings documentation is here and the variables that you can use to retrieve information is found here. I've uploaded my .conkyrc for anyone who cares to http://pastebin.com/f383f230c

my offensive comment was a joke tryin to insinuate that the person complaining about my wallpaper was gay but i guess it kinda went over everyones head. or maybe just wasnt funny or maybe both /me shrugs

Interesting,... evernote? I love the idea, but was never able to make it useful. What do you use it for/how do you use it? Well hurr's mine. Almost identical to my previous ones.

i use evernote in college classes to take notes so when i go places i don't need my laptop it is o my iphone too