Grandma Registered her pirated version of XP Pro Sp2....

VilleValoV

Now before i get all the WAREZ WAREZ WAREZ post. Listen. Yes it was wrong on her behalf, and having a crooked Microsotf Local Rep for a Brother Dosent help but. Shes been scared straight. MS sent her an email and told her it was a prosicutable offence and that she can expect to have her OS shut down (this is what she tells me). True or not, she demands i come over tomorrow and Save all her info to disc. So she can LEGALLY BUY HER NEW OPERATING SYSTEM. I was just wondering, is there a program that can search for user created files(that could pick up quicken, Word Docs, Email Lists, etc.) And make my job easier?

I really don't know that such a beast exists. Your best bet, if the OS is locked down already, is to get a bootable CD. Make a Bart's PE before you go over or use one of the million Linux live CD's. Good luck man, and if your brother knowing sold a bootleg OS to his Granny you should kick his ass.

and if your brother knowing sold a bootleg OS to his Granny you should kick his ass.

I hope his brother didn't sell a bootleg copy of xp to his own grandmother! If he did then she must have screwed him over the previous x-mas: probably an ugly sweater or socks, either one would have sent me over the edge.

If it does de-activate, you can just hook the drive into another machine and get the data from it that way. So thats not an imediate concern.

As for getting windows back, obtain a licenced copy of windows and install that, or linux her if your feeling brave.

Is it impossible to 're-register' windows or something so that you don't need to completely reinstall to get it going again?

MS sent her an email and told her it was a prosicutable offence and that she can expect to have her OS shut down (this is what she tells me).

You know, Windows' EULA says they can do that, but I question the legality of doing that (paticulaly in the UK).

Yea Barry, but they say during the setup, in lamens terms ...We cant gaurentee that all User Created Files are 100% safe from deletion.

Always back up just to be sure, of course. But it's a damn sight better than a full re-install.

I've never had a file go missing in at least 100 windows repairs on various machines.

If anyone has experienced file loss, I'd be interested to hear about it. Where were the file(s) etc?

I experianced file loss befor... I moved a exe from the my documents directory to the desctop, it had gone from the my documents directory but had not appared on the desktop...

I thought he meant because of a Windows repair, although you would think moving a file would be less likely to cause data loss than reinstalling the OS.

I experianced file loss befor... I moved a exe from the my documents directory to the desctop, it had gone from the my documents directory but had not appared on the desktop...

I thought he meant because of a Windows repair, although you would think moving a file would be less likely to cause data loss than reinstalling the OS.

I did mean file loss due to using the repair :roll:

Always do a backup first, but a windows repair using a legal cd and key is far and away the easiest way of making the installation legal.

If you had a few PC's this used to be the cheepest way to go...

Microsoft Open License Program

Shame your Gran cannot hold off until Vista

Linux or Lindows, Firefox and Open Office, that is if Gran's not doing too much on the PC anyway

Edit I think the Law is with MS on this one they will probably argue the same as the DVD manufactures in that you do not own the disc or it's contents you simply buy a license to use them -crazy and well Gran freely gave all her details to register

Isn't it possiable to regedit and change the key?

Yup: http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-5034890.html didn't read through it all though