How sweet is this?....plug computing!!

psydT0ne

Ah well just goes to show how you should fucking search endlessly for similar or remotely similar or possibly any fucking threads containing a phrase or a word you plan to use, just so you don't duplicate.

I apologise in advance for wasting two or maybe three mouse clicks of your tiime.

Hey hey now. I am the only one who can waste my time!

Well, I would at least have to give you props on the thread name. It pops out more..

And yes, A power board full of these would be more awesome than a closet full of mac minis which makes me think about something....

MICRO CLUTER COMPUTING!!!!

Lemme calculate cost/power

Intel Core i7 (quadcore) @ 69.23GFLOPS per sisoft sandra (source: http://mos.techradar.com/techradar-corei7-benchmarks.pdf) 3.4ghz =x1=$289.99 (w/o anything else

SheevaPlug:cant find GFLOPS but it's a 1.2ghz X3 = 3.6ghz cluster, $269.97

Dude... Imagine about 50 of these.

50X$89.99=$4499.50 with 60ghz of available clock cycles per second! w00t!

Intel Core i7 (quadcore) @ 69.23GFLOPS per sisoft sandra (source: http://mos.techradar.com/techradar-corei7-benchmarks.pdf) 3.4ghz =x1=$289.99 (w/o anything else

SheevaPlug:cant find GFLOPS but it's a 1.2ghz X3 = 3.6ghz cluster, $269.97

Dude... Imagine about 50 of these.

50X$89.99=$4499.50 with 60ghz of available clock cycles per second! w00t!

Wait a minute, the Core i7 is a quadcore like you say, the Plug has only one core, so your going to need at least 12 of them to be approaching anything near the performance available from a single Core i7.

Given the plug CPU is ARM compliant and that as they are all individual machines your software is going to have to be heavily distributed reducing performance, your going to need near 20 of them to reach similar amounts.

I think I'll stick with the Core i7 thanks.

Give it eSata and I'll start considering it for a NAS.

I believe the dual core Atom is providing the best performance to buck and watt at the moment. The reason why Microsoft is currently trialing them in data centers.

I just really think of the future and the way these things are going in terms of greater market share way down the track..

When more and more of these things flood the market one day every home will have two or three of these things laying around..

stingwray, you are totally right. My bad, dont know what made me think it, but I was thinking the ghz rating of the i7 was all 4 cores added up.(im a goof)

Still though you think about it 50X$89.99=$4499.50 with 60ghz of available clock cycles per second, is not bad at all but that would be one pain in the a$$ to administer.

and when they hit 49.99 a peice, that would be super awesome cause that would be:

50x$49.99=$2499.50 @ 60ghz = 4cents/hert

I'm just sayin. Im sure we will see something about someone (who actually has time for this) who ended up buying like 1000 of these things and now has a super cluster that rivals some super computer for 1/8th the cost.

Though I still think broadly this will be a novelty unless they turn it into a full fledged consumer pc.

Hertz does not equal performance. This is why a 2Ghz Core 2 is much faster than a 3.4Ghz Pentium 4. These things are only going to be good for embedded tasks and even if you had a room full of them an i7 will still be more powerful. Plus, its ARM. Atoms win because they are x86, which reduces the development costs substantially.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know of any websites where some tinkering is documented with this thing? I just got my SheevaPlug Dev kit today and I'm able to start playing with it right away (you can connect to it with mini USB serial cable they give you), but I'm curious what other people are doing with it.

hmmm... product breif says that the chip has an lcd display interface built in.. but does that mean lcd panel or lcd unit? (ie a monitor, or an lcd like in an alarm clock... im thinking the latter) would be great for making a little rss feed scroller for the desk?

hmmm... product breif says that the chip has an lcd display interface built in.. but does that mean lcd panel or lcd unit? (ie a monitor, or an lcd like in an alarm clock... im thinking the latter) would be great for making a little rss feed scroller for the desk?

The SheevaPlug doesn't have any sort of LCD display on it. Just the mini usb for usb/serial connection to pc, the gigabit nic, and the regular usb plug.

I'm digging it. It's actually been good for me for a very simple reason I didn't expect: it's making me learn more about the linux command line and how to modify the OS on this thing. It's really fun just doing the basics (for me).

Here's a tip: those micro usb flash sticks are great for this thing. I have a slow 4gb stick that barely sticks out on the sheevaplug so it doesn't stick out past the network cable.

that's pretty awesome. I can definitely see how this can help learn the lin-cli. I am loving it as well on my fon router w/ open-wrt, but im not sure if it is a bonefied linux distro or if it's just a backwoods one spec'ed for the fon like puppy linux.