Free shell accounts

lnxr0x

Anyone know of any GOOD FREE shell accounts. There are a ton of "list" sites that have shell servers, but they all come with "strings" attached. ie: login to our IRC channel or forums every 32 hours or contribute before getting access, etc, etc.

I have an SSH server running on my box @ home but the upload speed on my DSL is crap !! I just need a faster connection for tunneling my HTTP traffic.

thanks

Anyone know of any GOOD FREE shell accounts. There are a ton of "list" sites that have shell servers, but they all come with "strings" attached. ie: login to our IRC channel or forums every 32 hours or contribute before getting access, etc, etc.

I have an SSH server running on my box @ home but the upload speed on my DSL is crap !! I just need a faster connection for tunneling my HTTP traffic.

thanks

So your quite happy to run all your HTTP traffic through a server that you have very little control over, which your asking to be free with no strings attached. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

It's only to get anonymous web access thru corp firewall... I don't care what happens to the connection on the other side. I won't be using any passwords or anything.

anyway ... found my fix :)

www.gopc.net<-- uses SSH by default, portable, FREE... port 6667 NOT blocked .. sweet !!

If your using it to go through a corporate firewall, then check your contract and the policies that you have agreed to. If your not allowed to do it and you haven't got permission, then I would stop, companies are just itching to look for excuses at the moment to get rid of people because of the economic climate.

In fact, depending on where you work, you could be breaking the law by doing it.

Also, you don't need to look at pr0n at work. :P

If your using it to go through a corporate firewall, then check your contract and the policies that you have agreed to. If your not allowed to do it and you haven't got permission, then I would stop, companies are just itching to look for excuses at the moment to get rid of people because of the economic climate.

In fact, depending on where you work, you could be breaking the law by doing it.

Also, you don't need to look at pr0n at work. :P

Good points.. I appreciate your concern. I'll take that under advisement. :)

It's only to get anonymous web access thru corp firewall... I don't care what happens to the connection on the other side. I won't be using any passwords or anything.

anyway ... found my fix :)

www.gopc.net<-- uses SSH by default, portable, FREE... port 6667 NOT blocked .. sweet !!

How were you able to log into the site? I signed up and trying to use putty to SSH to login.gopc.net on port 22, but it won't accept the password with which I registered. I'm suspecting it has something to do with keyboard-authentication method.

How were you able to log into the site? I signed up and trying to use putty to SSH to login.gopc.net on port 22, but it won't accept the password with which I registered. I'm suspecting it has something to do with keyboard-authentication method.

SSH isn't supported, I tried the same thing which obviously didn't work so I emailed the support team. They said SSH isn't supported but might be in the future for paying customers.